If you ever feel like your writing is pointless, read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Salinger was saying something of the same thing when he had Zooey tell Franny to be an actress for the Fat Lady. That is, for all the suffering bastards in the world, meaning all of us, who are Jesus.

Christopher Derrick hints at this in Reader's Report (The Writing of Novels) when he talks about why it isn't necessarily the moral choice to apply bandages instead of singing.

And, of course, Sam says it to Frodo when he talks about the great stories, the ones that really matter, because no matter how dark things get, the people in those stories keep on going, keep fighting for whatever good is left in the world.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

When I had a tonsillectomy and hemorrhaged and was home, but in too much pain to sleep, my Mom read me six of the seven voyages of Sinbad from a child's version of the Arabian Nights. (I read the seventh voyage the following day.)

It's really the arts--fine art, music and literature--that define our humanity. Lots I could say about this, but it would turn into a rant.

Let's keep writing!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
About 18 months ago, I was just finishing my degree. I was depressed, hated my dissertation, no job [straight from university to welfare], and I just knew I couldn't keep going much longer.

Then I read Rosemary Sutcliff's The Eagle of the Ninth, and it blew me away. I do think that book saved me. I started writing Roman fiction, took a Classical Studies course and another in Latin, and now in February I'm starting a new degree in Ancient history. And I love it.

Fiction [like all art] has the ability to change lives. I'm the proof. :)

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for posting that timely reminder.

At some of the bleakest points in my life, it was literature and music that provided comfort and transported me to other worlds.

Some things are timeless and absolutely vital. They remind us of our humanity.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I remember reading this blog post years ago. As Susan put it, it's timeless. It never stops ringing true.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of went the opposite way when something terrible happened. I didn't read at all. Didn't want to. I felt that no matter what I read or did or watched during that time, it would always be tarnished with a reminder of what had happened, and I couldn't face them becoming connected.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
That made me feel too many feels.
Thank you.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is a nice blog post. It reminds me of the time I had just had sinus surgery. I had this huge pad over my nose to keep the blood from flowing out, and I just felt downright miserable. That also happened to be the day the sixth Harry Potter book arrived in the mail. For those hours that I read it, I was able to forget how crappy I felt and lose myself in the story.

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad this resonates with other people the way it did with me.

I remember finding books at different hard points in my life that not only let me escape but pinpointed exactly how I was feeling when I couldn't articulate it myself.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing this a while back, and it hit me as hard today--the second or third time I've actually read it--as it did four years ago.

Thanks for this. I've been intensely struggling with my writing, and I needed to remember this article.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Well. That made me have intense feels of the weepy variety. Thank you for sharing. It was almost like the author was telling my story with the first part. Reading always has been a way for me to shut out the bad in the world, shut out the bad voices, and be someone else for a while.

Plus, with Nanowrimo just around the corner and me about to re-start the novel I'm the most passionate about, it's a timely reminder of what I want to achieve with my writing. I want to pass on the gift of escape given to me by so many wonderful authors.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!

It reminded me of the kid who searched book after book for someone like her and had to settle for "close". Maybe I'll open that YA ms again after midterms & see what it can become.

MelodySRV

Registered
Reaction score
Though I have nothing eloquent to add to what you have given us, do know that reading this made me want to cry. I will keep writing, if only to help that one person get through that awful time.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.