Final Presidential Debate Discussion Thread

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Apparently, Romney wants to identify those who are friendly to us in Syria and help them to get rid of Assad and set up a friendly government. You know, a puppet regime. So apparently, his foreign policy is from both the 1980s and the 1950s.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
So, Gov Romney wants to tap all crude energy reserves in order to make us energy independent?

And he thinks we have customers in Latin America? Actually he didn't say that. He said "business opportunities" in Latin America. That sounds more like more job exporting.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently, Romney wants to identify those who are friendly to us in Syria and help them to get rid of Assad and set up a friendly government. You know, a puppet regime. So apparently, his foreign policy is from both the 1980s and the 1950s.

Well, 17 out of his 24 foreign policy advisors are from the Bush administration, so backward thinking on global policy is a guarantee.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So, Gov Romney wants to tap all crude energy reserves in order to make us energy independent?

And he thinks we have customers in Latin America? Actually he didn't say that. He said "business opportunities" in Latin America. That sounds more like more job exporting.
United Fruit ftw.

By the way, every now and then my sainted mother reminds me that all this talk about tapping North American reserves and expanding drilling to make the US oil independent is a load of crap because all oil extracted from all sources in all places in the world is put onto the global market and the prices controlled by international cartels and agreements. A really good portion of that North American crude will end up being used in places like China. Just like all the oil does. There is very little oil that gets used in any nation that was not first exported from someplace and then imported to someplace at least once each.

On rare occasions someone in the media will mention this, but it mostly gets forgotten in cries of "Drill, baby, drill!"

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The Navy push is about China, I'd guess.

As to the smirks, both Gov. Romney and Pres. Obama are doing it.
To my eye, they are different smirks. Obama and Biden each have their own, unique, organically human smirks. Romney and Ryan seem to both have the same, fake, practiced smirk-mask they wear while their debate opponent is talking.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
"We have these things called aircraft carriers, governor, and planes land on them."

"We've been to the website several times, and the math still doesn't work."

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
To my eye, they are different smirks. Obama and Biden each have their own, unique, organically human smirks. Romney and Ryan seem to both have the same, fake, practiced smirk-mask they wear while their debate opponent is talking.

Wouldn't a real condescension smirk be worse than a fake one?

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Obama's response: Well, we also have fewer horses and bayonets now than we did back then. We're replacing them with more modern technologies.

God, I love Obama. :D

Here in Virginia, I heard the ZING! all the way from Boca Raton. :)

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Now I'm wondering if Romney's frequent support of increased coal production is tied to his goal of an expanded navy. Does he realize we power those big floaty-sinky tube-shaped things with nukes nowadays?

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
So far the Gov says we need more military hardware, more business in Latin America and more oil and coal production. That's not Bush era, it's Reagan and Ike.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The President can't jump up and say the Republicans have blocked all budget progress without looking weak for both himself and the Dems. At least, in part because it is true.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And that's me shouting "OH FUCK YOU!" again.

last time it was the "cut the budget but raise military spending."

Now it's the, "The USA has never dictated to countries. It has freed them."

LATIN AMERICA, IRAN AND OTHER NATIONS I'M SURE WANT TO HAVE A WORD WITH YOU, YOU LYING SACK OF CRAP!