Writing on politics from an African-American perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelancerjourn

Registered
Reaction score
One of my interests is politics. Over the past few years I have written several op/ed pieces on politics, particularly from an African-American perspective. Unfortunately I've kept them to myself and not submitted them.
Now I want to actually submit my work for possible publication. Any ideas on places to submit? Places which are likely to accept op/eds from freelance writers?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
This sub-forum is for debates and political discussions of news articles, etc. You'll get more answers about submitting work in a different forum. I'm sure a Mod will port you to a good spot :)

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
One of my interests is politics. Over the past few years I have written several op/ed pieces on politics, particularly from an African-American perspective. Unfortunately I've kept them to myself and not submitted them.
Now I want to actually submit my work for possible publication. Any ideas on places to submit? Places which are likely to accept op/eds from freelance writers?

Try blogs first: Clutch Magazine, The Root, The Grio, Madame Noire, BET.com, Black Voices, etc. Build a website/blog to display your writing as well. You won't be paid much, if at all, but it's about building your portfolio and obtaining exposure. I know of a few black political/pop culture bloggers who have gone on to more mainstream gigs (for example, Jamilah Lemieux, Danielle Belton, Demetria Lucas, Luvvie).

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Root pays $200 for published pieces and $100 for a kill fee if they approve your piece, but end up not running it. It's a tough site to break into so your piece will have to really good or you'll have to know someone to put in a good word for you.

The Grio pays $75 for published works. They are owned by MSNBC and you'll frequently see their contributors on their television programming.

The Loop 21 pays for submissions. There is Tom Joyner's Black America Web. There's NewsOne. There's Huffington Post's Black Voices. There's Ebony. There's Essence. There's...shall I go on?

And that's only if you want to pitch to Black-oriented sites. There's plenty of other places like Salon and Slate and other news/politics websites and some are in desperate need of content that their in-house staff don't bring to the party.

So if you're still out there and still interested, freelancerjourn, there's no shortage of sites for you to submit to.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's a tough site to break into so your piece will have to really good or you'll have to know someone to put in a good word for you.

So if you write crap but know somebody, that helps?

With parents from Denmark, however, I have problems for this market other than my crappy writing. Does anybody know a "Yah, For Sure, You Betcha" magazine?

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.