Bird Shelters

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Did you know that there are shelters for birds just like there are for dogs and cats and other animals? Rescue parrots (and 'tiels, budgies, and all species of companion birds) need the same attention given to other types of animals. In fact, my beautiful Pancho (the parrot in my avatar) was sort of a rescue parrot.

The pet store told me they'd never be able to sell him because he was too vicious. He had seriously injured the store owner's arm--she needed stitches--and attacked all the employees. His cage was dirty because everyone was too afraid of him to clean it. To make a long story short, when I visited the store that day, I kept hearing a little voice say 'hello.' When I turned around, I saw that it was the 'mean' bird!

Cautiously, I approached his cage and spoke to him. He reached his foot out between the bars to me and I rubbed his toe. Before long, I was petting him all over and he was sitting with his eyes closed, making soft little sounds, like he remembered being loved by somebody once before. Well, that did it. I plunked down the $$$, took him home, and he's been my sweet buddy for 15 years now.

I can cuddle this 'vicious' bird in both hands, kiss him all over, and scrunch him all up in a birdie bundle. I love him and he loves me! What a sweeeeet bird. And the store owner said they'd never be able to sell him; all he needed was for the right person to come through that door.

Where was I going with this....oh, yeah. If you are considering adding a bird to your family, why not visit a shelter? You might just meet up with a feathered heart who has been waiting for you!

Here's a link to one shelter: http://alisonsavianrescue.homestead.com/Index.html

But be warned: if you are like me and have a very tender heart, you'll be in tears as you read the stories behind some of their rescue birds. *sniffle*

Okay, I'm done now. Have I mentioned that I love birds?????

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, I rescued the most wonderful lovebird in NYC and then flew with him to North Carolina to his new home, The Tropics, an exotic bird refuge. This place is amazing! Birds live free in a sort of rain forest building (the only of its kind in the US), complete with waterfalls and natural plants. They also have a large building where they keep handicapped birds. Mary & John Bradford, who singl-handledly manage this place, are absolutely amazing people. You can adopt birds there or simply visit and make a donation.

http://tropics.parrotrefuge.com/