• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

I Need "That Sound"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm preparing to write Part 2 of my book. I rely very much on music to put me in the mindset I need to be in.

For this portion of the book, I need a very dark, heavy, and ominous sound. If you've ever seen Immortals, I want the exact sound of the horns close to the beginning of the movie. It's also at the start of the trailer.

Do any of you know where I can get more ambient sounds or music with that sound in it? Or do you know which song I might be able to download from the movie's score.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, these two songs helped me write some of the first part of the book, but they're not heavy enough for what I need now. The melody is too pretty:

Thorns - by Wumpscut
Teardrop - by Massive Attack

I need to get darker than this. Those horns I mention above are just perfect! I need something with that same feeling.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where you're based, but if you're in the US try www.pandora.com. It's an online radio, personalized to your tastes. Type in the name of a band or song that you like and Pandora will create a playlist of similar artists. That's one way I like to discover new artists. Perhaps you could do the same for your dark, ambient music. Pandora might help you find similar bands with that dark taste.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I've been listening to ambient music by Steve Roach on YouTube. Just search Steve Roach on there and you'll have all sorts of music to choose from. Many of his songs are very long (usually between a half hour to two hours), which is perfect for me so I don't have to keep clicking for a new song every few minutes. This one is one of his darker pieces I found on YouTube. There was a piece I found the other day but from a different artist that for the life of me can't remember who it was, it made me think it would be perfect background music for a Halloween party. Gyorgy Ligeti has some creepy music as well, but instead of using electronic instruments to create his music, he used orchestra and voice.

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

I'll check these out tonight when I get home. @Blinkk, I tried Pandora but I just can't find what I'm looking for.

My character is stuck in that stage between life and death. (Think of the light at the end of the tunnel... without the light or the tunnel, just emptiness.) So technically she's dead, but she's really on the verge of dying.

Anyhow, from her point of view, she wakes up in limbo and there's nothing around her: no light, no sound, nothing to touch, not so much as a shadow or a whisper. The sound I'm looking for is so lonely and massive, I feel like it could really help me get to the place I need to be in order to help her out of this predicament.

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
For dark, dark music:
(All youtube links, I'll try to get the full albums)

Tim Hecker Ravedeath, 1972
Bohren & der Club of Gore

I liked both of those. The second link I really liked! I'm not sure I can use it for what I need, but it was still enjoyable and I plan on coming back to it.

You may want to give this song by Steve Roach a try then. It might be more what you're looking for.

Can't listen to it yet, because I'm at lunch and my work computer has YouTube blocked. But I pulled his stuff up on my phone and I really like what I'm hearing so far. I feel so relaxed now! The music starts with the right sound but picks up a little too quickly. I'm going to listen to it a little more, though. It certainly does put me in that writing mood! Makes me very contemplative and pensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.