So farewell, Andrew Mitchell

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
You called a policeman a fucking pleb, then stank up Downing Street for a month as you made your party look elitist and hypocritical. Now you're unemployed, which to be honest makes you look a bit plebby.

Next scandal coming: did Gideon really travel in a First Class train carriage with only a Second Class ticket? Surely not...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm missing him already. Having the Tory Chief Whip as a walking punchline is nothing but good in my book. How much comedic value will we find in George Young, who's been in the Tory Cabinet since Disraeli's second administration without anyone even knowing who he is?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
That would be fun, particularly if Young is a Chartist like Disreali was.

I believe Young in those days was a Hartington Whig with distinctive Peelite views over reform of the Corn Laws.

And he understood that a second class train ticket wasn't valid in first class, which is something George Osborne is incapable of grasping.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Young in those days was a Hartington Whig with distinctive Peelite views over reform of the Corn Laws.

And he understood that a second class train ticket wasn't valid in first class, which is something George Osborne is incapable of grasping.

There are so many things that Osborne is incapable of grasping. He is, after all, a second class twit in a first class job. Well, at the moment he is. I am hoping there are some tickets left on the Mitchell train - in third class.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many things that Osborne is incapable of grasping. He is, after all, a second class twit in a first class job. Well, at the moment he is. I am hoping there are some tickets left on the Mitchell train - in third class.

This is why these plebs and train ticket affairs are so damaging to the Tories. It fits so well with how we imagine upper class Tories would behave that it's pretty much confirming a prejudice. If I'd been Cameron, I would have sacked Mitchell on the spot. But Cameron's a second-rate Prime Minister, just as Osborne is a third-rate Chancellor.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Like Gladstone, I'm sure Cameron is pulling his teeth about what the Liberals will do next.

I don't think Cameron gives a shiny one about the Liberals anymore. They'll do as they're told because they're probably going to be annihilated in the next election. After that, they're likely never to see power again. And they're not in a hurry to face up to that.