PDA

View Full Version : A Confession

awatkins
01-20-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't have a blog, and probably never will. I just don't have anything interesting to say (fer instance, who, besides me, is interested in my grandkids, my birds, or how much I love living in the country??). Heck, I can't even keep my puny little web site updated. But...but...

I LOVE to read your blogs!!!

Is it okay to confess something like this on a blogging forum? That I don't blog and probably never will, but I love to read your blogs? I love reading your comments on current events, movies, the writing life, or just life in general. I'm one of those anonymous readers you never know is there. So keep up the good work, keep those blogs updated, and keep on sharing yourselves with the invisible blog-readers-of-the-world. Blog on!

:)

aka eraser
01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
So you're the one! Thanks Anne!

awatkins
01-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Yep! In fact, I was just there this morning, Frank. lol

A. Hamilton
01-20-2006, 09:08 PM
hahaha..I know what you mean. I keep promising myself I'll start my own blog one day..but ehh..who knows. But I do keep a list of my favorite blogs in my favorites. A few AW'ers on there.

Marilyn Braun
01-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow! Someone actually reads my blog? :hooray:

All this time I thought I was talking to myself

awatkins
01-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Marilyn, your blog is fascinating! I guess I'm a closet royalty-watcher. lol

Marilyn Braun
01-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Marilyn, your blog is fascinating! I guess I'm a closet royalty-watcher. lol

:snoopy: :snoopy:

Well c'mon out of the closet and say Hi!!!

Dawno
01-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Yes, Anne, it would be wonderful for you to join the comments conversations. You don't have to be a blogger to get on blogs :)

You might find that after participating in some conversations on blogs that you want to expand on the topic and see what folks have to say about that - you can either start your own blog or ask someone -- oh, I don't know, maybe your green bean casserole twin, if you can write a guest blog :)

But do comment! Oh, if you want to join the AW Monday Meme crowd you can always post your answers in my comments, I have a friend who likes to do that instead of using her own blog.

awatkins
01-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Oh, I thought you had to be a blogger to leave a comment! I love reading those--they're so interesting and many times I've found myself following along, anxious to see who's going to say what next. :)

Well, now that I know, I guess I'll have to leave a little note from time to time. Thanks for the tip, my gbct! :D (had green bean casserole last weekend and it was yummmmy!)

You blawgers are just too cool, you know that?

Fahim
01-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Oh, I thought you had to be a blogger to leave a comment!

Well, some of the commenting systems out there might ask you to sign up before you can leave a comment but nope, as you've discovered, you don't have to be a blogger to comment - anybody can. Being a blogger myself, I love receiving comments, lets me know that I'm not talking to the ether :p

L M Ashton
01-21-2006, 07:31 AM
I think LiveJournal might be the only exception - you have to sign up with LiveJournal to leave comments. It frustrates me to the point where if someone has a LiveJournal blog, I won't even bother to look at it.

Dawno
01-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Well, some of the commenting systems out there might ask you to sign up before you can leave a comment but nope, as you've discovered, you don't have to be a blogger to comment - anybody can. Being a blogger myself, I love receiving comments, lets me know that I'm not talking to the ether :p

Fahim! Welcome! I haven't checked yet so if you haven't shared your blog URL on the AW Bloggers thread I hope you will so we can visit and leave comments for you.

sthrnwriter
01-21-2006, 09:26 AM
You blawgers are just too cool, you know that?

I'm cool? Really? I didn't know that. Whether I get comments or not, doesn't really matter to me. I'm just excited that someone is actually reading my blogs. I guess I'm easy to please.

L M Ashton
01-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Fahim's blog URL is www.farook.org. :D

And yeah, I love it when readers leave comments on my blog. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen very often. I suspect that I have no audience. :(

Fahim
01-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Fahim! Welcome! I haven't checked yet so if you haven't shared your blog URL on the AW Bloggers thread I hope you will so we can visit and leave comments for you.

Thanks :) As quidscribis has already outed my URL, I guess I don't have to :p

L M Ashton
01-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Um, Fahim, honey, while it's true that I've outed you, you can still post it to the AW Bloggers thread - it's in this forum, and it's a sticky at the top. In theory, you can't miss it. :p It's so that all the blog links are in one nice, neat, ready to read thread. :)

Paint
01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=awatkins]I don't have a blog, and probably never will. I just don't have anything interesting to say (fer instance, who, besides me, is interested in my grandkids, my birds, or how much I love living in the country??)

You're kidding right? Have you seen some of the pet blogs? I love them. My sister keeps birds and would love to look at one. (if she would just get a computer) There are a lot of people who are interested in birds and country living. I think pet birds are hard to keep. Although I sure loved my sister's birds.
Funny story: She had a canary who when you held up a piece of lettuce and said "Fly like an eagle!" it would spread its wings.
Or the parakeet that said "G*d Da*n it Roger!" in my sister's voice at odd moments and cracked everybody up.
She had lovebirds (I didn't like them) and now has cockateils. They are wonderful affectionate birds.
I think I hear an audience calling you...

awatkins
01-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Somebody should wash that parakeet's beak out with bird-safe soap. :ROFL:

Once upon a time, I wrote a monthly online column about birds. I did that for about three years or so, until the site stopped paying their writers. I really enjoyed it--even sent a few editors links to some of the columns and got some pretty good assignments that way. Had a comment feature for each article and everything. That was kind of blog-like, right?

Gee, Paint, now you've ruined my whole I'll-never-have-a-blog-because-I-can't-think-of-anything-to-say thing. Hmmmm.....I'll keep y'all posted. :)

huntwriter
01-26-2006, 12:54 AM
"I don't have a blog, and probably never will. I just don't have anything interesting to say (fer instance, who, besides me, is interested in my grandkids, my birds, or how much I love living in the country??)"

Err. Excuse me. You are a grandmother, raised a family, have birds as a hobby and live out in the country and have nothing interesting to say?

I don't belief you. Live makes for very interesting stories. Personally I like blogs which feature stories life wrote with a slant on humour. It is exactly what I try to do with my blog. You also can make a blog about raising children, country living or birds where you pass on tips.

Someone once said to me; "If you lived long enough you have plenty of stories to tell." So what you are waiting for get your blog and start posting. I can't wait to read it and leave my comments on it.

awatkins
01-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Wow, huntwriter, thanks for the encouraging words! I'm beginning to find myself thinking about this more and more..... :eek:

L M Ashton
01-26-2006, 05:45 AM
It's a sickness, I tell you! :)

huntwriter
01-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Wow, huntwriter, thanks for the encouraging words! I'm beginning to find myself thinking about this more and more..... :eek:

Good, because I will keep pushing:e2poke: you until you make your own blog. I was scared too at first and thought what the hell shall I write about. But then I did it and now I am having fun. I was scared of all the html, the set up and such fool things. But then I found out, at least with Blogger, it is really as easy as 1-2-3 and the occasional cuss word.

Go, Girl Go, you can do it:whip:

unthoughtknown
01-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Err. Excuse me. You are a grandmother, raised a family, have birds as a hobby and live out in the country and have nothing interesting to say?

I don't belief you.

I agree. Of course you do. If you are living life and taking it in, you'll always have something interesting to say. It's about perception too. Our advantage, as writers, is our ability to convey our perception in words that will interest the reader. We - writers and readers - are all experiencing the same things in life but some people fail to absorb the richness of the experience or see it from an uninspiring angle (etc) and that's where we, writers/bloggers, can come in and do our duty!

JenNipps
01-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Oh, I thought you had to be a blogger to leave a comment! I love reading those--they're so interesting and many times I've found myself following along, anxious to see who's going to say what next. :)

Naw, you don't have to be a member to comment. At least, not with the way I have mine set up. :) All you have to do is enter the word verification thing. I started that because I was getting a TON of spam comments.

JenNipps
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I think LiveJournal might be the only exception - you have to sign up with LiveJournal to leave comments. It frustrates me to the point where if someone has a LiveJournal blog, I won't even bother to look at it.
Actually, even LiveJournal is customizable. It's up to the LJer if they will accept anonymous comments or not. For example, on mine, I have enabled anonymous comments, but they're screened until I release them. I've had to do that because of spam comments, too.

Dawno
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Anne - go ahead, try a blog! Even if you just post once in a blue moon, or on green bean casserole day. :) You also could just blog on Monday - do the AW Monday Meme...

If you don't like doing it you can always take it down.

Marilyn Braun
01-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Once you start, you'll have a hard time stopping. It's amazingly addictive!

L M Ashton
01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Actually, even LiveJournal is customizable. It's up to the LJer if they will accept anonymous comments or not. For example, on mine, I have enabled anonymous comments, but they're screened until I release them. I've had to do that because of spam comments, too.

Ah. Interesting. All of the LiveJournal blogs I've encountered, and most of the Blogger ones, allow comments only by their respective members. I won't bother reading them if they're going to be that restrictive in their commenting system.

Now, moderating comments until the owner verifies it's not spam, that I heartily agree with.

aka eraser
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Go Anne Go!

Go Anne Go!

Go Anne Go!

Go Anne Go!!!

:)

awatkins
01-26-2006, 11:04 PM
So. Do you guys think I should try a blog? :D

Thanks for all the encouraging words! I'll read through all the posts here so I don't ask anything that's already been covered, and then I'll...um...probably...maybe *gasp* start my own *hyperventilating* blog. Ack! And I already said I wouldn't! None of you will never trust me again. ;)

By the way, there was a gorgeous red fox in my yard yesterday. And I bought a treadmill. See? Already two things I could post in a blog. And I thought I didn't have anything fascinating to say. :ROFL:

Paint
01-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Looking forward to seeing you around the blog world! I know you are going to have so much fun with this. You'll wonder why you hadn't thought of it before!

:e2brows:
Paint

JenNipps
01-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Ah. Interesting. All of the LiveJournal blogs I've encountered, and most of the Blogger ones, allow comments only by their respective members. I won't bother reading them if they're going to be that restrictive in their commenting system.

Now, moderating comments until the owner verifies it's not spam, that I heartily agree with.
Not that you have to, of course, but if you want to check out what I mean, you're free to visit either of my blogs. The one I have listed with AWers is jennipps.blogspot.com (http://jennipps.blogspot.com), but my LiveJournal one (little bit of everything, life in general and not only writing-related) is jennipps.livejournal.com (http://jennipps.livejournal.com).

huntwriter
01-27-2006, 02:05 AM
So. Do you guys think I should try a blog? :D

Thanks for all the encouraging words! I'll read through all the posts here so I don't ask anything that's already been covered, and then I'll...um...probably...maybe *gasp* start my own *hyperventilating* blog. Ack! And I already said I wouldn't! None of you will never trust me again. ;)

By the way, there was a gorgeous red fox in my yard yesterday. And I bought a treadmill. See? Already two things I could post in a blog. And I thought I didn't have anything fascinating to say. :ROFL:

That's the spirit, Yes Mam. Here she comes, there she goes.:welcome: to blogging.

huntwriter
01-27-2006, 02:13 AM

You can comment on my blog and many others on blogger without being a member. On my blog only the nameless once are held back for verification and I only to that since I had someone commenting with a lot of cussing and abusive language. I don't mind chritique not even harsh ones but I don't like if someone does not agree with what I have to say and makes comments starting with the "F" word and then keep going with it all the way trough in place of comas and periods.

L M Ashton
01-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Profanity comment spam sucketh!

JenNipps, thanks for providing examples. :)

JAlpha
01-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Who, besides me, is interested in my grandkids, my birds, or how much I love living in the country??).:)

Well, I'm still in the midst of raising my own three kids--two are away at college, the third leaves this coming fall. Yes, I'm counting the days. So I'm a bit burned out on hearing about kids or grand kids. BUT, I would love to hear about your birds:) Do you have an African Grey by chance? I have a small walk on part in my WIP for an African Grey. One of my minor characters is a vet and she owns one. It fits right in, because the main theme of my novel revolves around strained communications. What little research I needed to do for the brief role the parrot plays, really drew me in. Looking back, I wish I would have had a parrot while the kids were growing up. I think it would have really added an interesting dynamic to our family life. And I might add, I have a whole new respect for people who own such a challenging companion pet. The emotional rewards must be enormous though :heart: .

awatkins
01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
BUT, I would love to hear about your birds:) Do you have an African Grey by chance?

No African grey here, but they are fabulous birds! I have a Blue-crowned conure named Rio and an Orange-winged Amazon named Pancho.

<----That's Panchie. :)

I have a small walk on part in my WIP for an African Grey. One of my minor characters is a vet and she owns one. It fits right in, because the main theme of my novel revolves around strained communications. What little research I needed to do for the brief role the parrot plays, really drew me in.

Awesome! I'm always fascinated by parrots in literature, and greys are so danged smart.

Looking back, I wish I would have had a parrot while the kids were growing up. I think it would have really added an interesting dynamic to our family life. And I might add, I have a whole new respect for people who own such a challenging companion pet. The emotional rewards must be enormous though :heart: .

Hehe. Rio and my daughter gew up together. Her friends were fascinated by this little green bird who constantly yelled her name. When she was a teenager, it seemed like all our phone calls were for her. It didn't take Rio long to start going, "Hello? Laurrraaa!" whenever it rang.

Help, I'm talking about birds and I can't stop! If you (or anybody) ever need to know anything about pet birds for your writing, just let me know. I can tell you how the feathers of the different species feel when you're petting them, what body language to watch out for to avoid a bite, lots of stuff. :)

:eek: I'm working on finding a blog spot to settle into. As soon as my current assignment is finished, I'll probably get started. Stay tuned!

aka eraser
01-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Hehe. Rio and my daughter gew up together. Her friends were fascinated by this little green bird who constantly yelled her name. When she was a teenager, it seemed like all our phone calls were for her. It didn't take Rio long to start going, "Hello? Laurrraaa!" whenever it rang.

I have an African Grey named Lucy. Most of the calls to our house are for my teenaged son, Jacob. So nearly every time the phone rings Lucy hollers: "JACOB!!! PHONE!!!"

She's a riot. :)

awatkins
01-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I have an African Grey named Lucy. Most of the calls to our house are for my teenaged son, Jacob. So nearly every time the phone rings Lucy hollers: "JACOB!!! PHONE!!!"

She's a riot. :)

:ROFL: I love it! I'll have to tell Laura about that. She'll definitely sympathize. :D

SeanDSchaffer
01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi Anne,

I always enjoy going to blogs about people's ordinary lives. One of my favorites is Thumper Thinks Out Loud, K.A. Thompson's blog. It's all about her ordinary, everyday life. And it's just loaded with cool reading. I love it.

So yeah, I think you'd have an audience, no doubt about it. And since a blog doesn't have a regular posting schedule, you can update three times a day or three times a week or even three times a month, and it's okay.

So think about it. You might enjoy having a blog, and you might get some cool comments about your writing and things. I personally think it'd be an excellent idea.

BTW, a 'blawg' is a blog about law and similar stuff. I found that out by reading the definition over at Jaws' website a few months ago. I think he has a blawg, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

mtn_chick
01-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, go for it Anne! You will totally become addicted. And you'll find you ALWAYS have something to say, even about the most mundane things (or... is that just me?). No, really, you'll find those people out there that ARE interested in your life.

I haven't gotten bored of blogging yet, over a year later. I'm a pretty prolific blogger too - sometimes I have to slow myself down!

Help... I have a problem... I'm addicted to blogging... :D

huntwriter
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, go for it Anne! You will totally become addicted. And you'll find you ALWAYS have something to say, even about the most mundane things (or... is that just me?). No, really, you'll find those people out there that ARE interested in your life.

I haven't gotten bored of blogging yet, over a year later. I'm a pretty prolific blogger too - sometimes I have to slow myself down!

Help... I have a problem... I'm addicted to blogging... :D

Do you have a link to your blog so we can visit you.

lobiso
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi folks, I'm new here - been lurking a few days to get the feel of things, and have to tell you that the posts here have inspired me and shaken me loose from my doldrums. I'm one of those who thought they'd never blog either, for lack of anything to say. So now you've done it - showed me otherwise, and I'm taking the leap! Thanks (I think) to all of you.

Laura

aka eraser
01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Welcome Laura. Make sure you post your link once it's set up. :)

Dawno
02-01-2006, 08:58 AM
What aka eraser said! Welcome Laura, to AW and to the Blogging forum. I look forward to hearing more from you! Don't forget to post your blog's URL in the Absolute Write Blogs thread and tell us a bit about you and your blog.

awatkins
02-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Sean and mtn_chick! Your sweet words are so encouraging. Look for an announcement soon, well, sometime in the next few weeks, anyway. ;) *gulp*

Welcome, Laura! I love your name--that's my daughter's name. :)

huntwriter
02-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks, Sean and mtn_chick! Your sweet words are so encouraging. Look for an announcement soon, well, sometime in the next few weeks, anyway. ;) *gulp*

Welcome, Laura! I love your name--that's my daughter's name. :)

awatkins - That's the news I have been waiting so read. Good on you.:hooray:

Laura - Welcome to the blogger forum looking forward to see your link here.:hi:

lobiso
02-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the welcome messages. I'm off to a slow but sure start - and finally figured out how to work the thing. I think I'm hooked!

Laura

mtn_chick
02-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Do you have a link to your blog so we can visit you.

Whupps! There we go, got it in my sig now.

huntwriter
02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks mtn_chick.

SeanDSchaffer
02-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Sean and mtn_chick! Your sweet words are so encouraging. Look for an announcement soon, well, sometime in the next few weeks, anyway. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif *gulp*

Cool! I hope you enjoy your new blog.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Welcome, Laura! I love your name--that's my daughter's name. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Laura! It's good to meet you. Welcome to the Water Cooler!
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotewelcome.gif

Also, I do not believe I have said 'hello' to mtn_chick. So without further ado....

Hello mtn_chick! It's good to meet you, and welcome to the AW boards. It's good to have you here.

mtn_chick
02-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the welcome! It's good to be here! :-)

TemlynWriting
02-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Look for an announcement soon, well, sometime in the next few weeks, anyway. ;) *gulp*Bwahahahaha! We have another convert! ;)

awatkins
02-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Bwahahahaha! We have another convert! ;)

I have been assimilated by the Blog People. :D

Dawno's been helping me come up with a name for the thing. I'm working on it, I promise! :)

awatkins
02-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I finally got it up and running. :) The link to my blog is in the proper stickied thread. Don't get too excited--there's not much there yet. But it's a start!

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody. :)

MacAllister
02-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Fabulous! We have yet another meme victim, folks--hurray! :D

awatkins
02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
:eek:

Of course, I know you meant that with love, Mac. :ROFL:

aka eraser
02-14-2006, 09:54 PM
:hooray:

awatkins
02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Hee hee, thanks, Frank. Who knew when I posted my confession that it would lead to a blog?? :D

SeanDSchaffer
02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I finally got it up and running. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif The link to my blog is in the proper stickied thread. Don't get too excited--there's not much there yet. But it's a start!

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cool, Anne! Congratulations.

awatkins
02-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks so much, Sean! :)