PDA

View Full Version : The Perils of Critique Group

Linda Adams
10-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Someone dropped a Molotov Cocktail (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/man-held-after-molotov-cocktail-dropped-at-arlington-mall/2012/10/18/250fc5f8-1965-11e2-bd10-5ff056538b7c_story.html) at the mall where my critique group meets. Fortunately, the FBI and ATF were gone by the time we met, but the food court was pretty dead. Even McDonald's was closed.

JMC2009
10-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh wow. I'm just glad no one was hurt!

Maryn
10-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Sheesh! And here I thought the backstabbing bitch formerly in my critique group was 'incendiary.' (She bad-mouthed us by first name on the Sisters in Crime list, unaware some of us also subscribed.)

I'm glad you're all okay, though. Whew.

Maryn, whose group isn't meeting at the food court ever again

mccardey
10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm waiting for JAR to come in say "Haven't I been warning you people for years?"

CrastersBabies
10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Holy cow! We meet at a nerd gaming cafe and the most dangerous stuff we have happen is when the owner runs out of Mountain Dew.

Rhoda Nightingale
10-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Holy shit. That was NOT what I was expecting from the thread title. Yikes! I'm glad everyone's okay.

Libbie
10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm waiting for JAR to come in say "Haven't I been warning you people for years?"

Heh...

I stopped going to my critique group when the diva of the group could no longer resist getting absolutely tanked, deliberately reading my excerpts aloud all wrong (in the way she would have written it!), and hitting on my fiance. I'm done.

I am trying to poach other members away to form a new one. It was a useful group before Madame Gin Blossom went on her rampage.

Oh, another nail in the coffin was when I mentioned Baptism for the Dead had been rejected 83 times, and she dramatically countered with "How do you think I feel? I've been rejected five times!" Heavens to Betsy! How ever will you survive? Clearly she's too busy ogling my man to listen to a single sentence I say. Good-bye!

Anyway, a molotov cocktail seems a bit extreme. This is why I don't like having writers' groups meet in public places. I'd rather do somebody's living room, but apparently the thought of not being surrounded by drunken screaming assholes (or by bomb-tossing dweebs, apparently) and actually being able to hear our own voices reading just seemed far too terrifying for my group.

Riley
10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Holy crap. D:

Siri Kirpal
10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Eeow!

And here I was all prepared to tell you about the guy whose critique of my poem made the thing worse. (I don't attend writing critique groups.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JSSchley
10-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Wah! I'm glad you guys weren't there when he set it off!

One of my regular customers works in a store there and he came in and told us the story last night. I hadn't heard the news then. I guess they were the only ones who stayed open in the mall...

crunchyblanket
10-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Blimey, that's a bit scary. Glad everyone's all right.

Karen Junker
10-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Glad you're okay. But yikes!

waylander
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Was this in response to any particular submission?

Linda Adams
10-20-2012, 01:28 AM
The news is reporting they caught the guy, but there's been no information on why he did it.

dangerousbill
10-20-2012, 02:45 AM
The news is reporting they caught the guy, but there's been no information on why he did it.

Obviously, he didn't have his submission ready, and needed an excuse to postpone the meeting.

thothguard51
10-20-2012, 03:17 AM
I bet when they check his house out, he has Binders full of women...

Bogna
10-20-2012, 04:33 AM
That is crazy. I think it's time to find a new meeting place. Maybe an underground bunker full of freeze dried food?

writeontime
10-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh. Blimey. That was not what I expected when I saw this thread title.

I'm glad everyone is okay.

LindaJeanne
10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Holy shit. That was NOT what I was expecting from the thread title. Yikes! I'm glad everyone's okay.
Yeah, I thought this was going to be about bad advice, or endless cycles of revision, or trying to please all the people all the time and ending up with bland mush because of it.

Glad everyone is OK!

jimbro
10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
My group meets in Mitchellville, across the river from yours in P.G. county. Our sessions are much less exciting.

This has prompted me to do a search on AW of Critique group stories. I expect to find some good ones. It's not a competition, but for now, you are winning...:)

I'm sure we're all planning (or at least thinking about) a short story based on this or a similar incident. :)

Diana_Rajchel
10-22-2012, 04:48 AM
So much more interesting than mine. I keep having this semi-stalker crazymaker lady join my favorite writer's groups, leave them in ruins, and then start stalking the organizer unless she's told to leave. She just found my favorite poetry group. I have warned the organizers, but it's the sort of thing you don't believe until you've seen it.

The Malatov cocktail is much scarier and much less ambiguous.