Not open for further replies.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
*Cringe.* Here we go. :partyguy:

Since this hasn't been brought up in its own thread, I'd like to discuss pricing and ethics. How we price our work affects our entire community, and will inevitably have repercussions that will affect you (good/bad) in the long run.

Alessandra posted an excellent suggested guideline in our talent-for-hire thread. It seems to have been largely ignored, and the quality of our portfolios don't appear to correspond to it.

For reference:

If you haven't a sense of price range, may I suggest the following categories:

Bargain-basement ($50 - $200)
Low ($200-$500)
Medium-Low ($500-$750)
Professional ($750 - $2000+)

I don't really know where to begin, because it's a sensitive subject for most people and I'm not an experty businessy type. I'm going to drop some links to resources and readings:

The Dark Art of Pricing
The Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I generally assume that people charge what they can get away with. That depends not only on talent, but business skill, areas of expertise, and whether they depend on their art for a living.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I generally assume that people charge what they can get away with. That depends not only on talent, but business skill, areas of expertise, and whether they depend on their art for a living.

It's precisely because designers and artists have an inconsistent perception of their own value and skill level that we should encourage each other to stay educated on current pricing guidelines. Every time something is given away for free or given at a ridiculous bargain price, it will undercut the market and spread the idea that art should be recreational and cheap.

People should be aware that just because they may not doing it "for a living" at the moment, doesn't mean they won't be later on. If you undercut the market now, it does affect the market later down the line. And at some point, it will make little difference how awesome your business acumen becomes, when other people are giving away their work at crazy low rates.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have real problems with pricing my artwork because I'm not well known, do not have a collection of regular buyers, do not enjoy a broad market for my style which would generate comparable prices, and thus I do not have an established quote range.

As a result, I feel most comfortable, and most ethical, pricing pragmatically, i.e. by calculating cost to produce the work and marking up a percentage for profit. The result of that is that my prices come in fairly low, because my materials costs and overhead are relatively low.

However, I do feel that my best work is worth more. In other words, I feel like I should be able to give myself a bigger profit margin, but I need to find the right market for it, and that is where I have been failing.

So ethically, I feel like I'm pricing at least fairly and so that I will not loose money on my work. But professionally, I feel like I'm under-paying myself.

ETA: Note, I am not a graphic artist, but a good part of my work is narrative and illustrative. It is my hope in future to offer licensable images, and I think it will be much easier to price licensed images and freelance work-for-hire because there are guidelines. I think a big problem with art pricing is that a lot of fine artists need to think more like commercial artists, while a lot of novice commercial artists think like fine artists, and do not bring that kind of professionalism to their pricing.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... artists have to make a living like everyone else. And if they overcharge it's not so terrible, even if it isn't entirely ethical. Who doesn't overcharge for services these days? You go into a store to buy a pair of pants or a shirt and the prices are outrageous compared to the actual cost it takes companies to produce the goods. Consumers are fairly informed too thanks to the internet in part. If an artist is charging a lot more than their services are worth they're probably just going to dismiss them as charlatans and seek elsewhere. The only one to lose out will be the artist in the long run, unless they're really good. As in other fields, artists at the top of their game can basically call the shots and run things their way. Must be nice :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
With art, as with writing, you simply have too offer more or better than the hobbyists and dilettantes who give it away free or cheap

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I'm a student. And I need to build a portfolio. I don't do digital painting, but I'd say my skills are in the medium - low section. But I couldn't get away with charging that much, simply because I don't have much in my portfolio -- or a professional website to host it on.

People already think art should be free, or as cheap as it can possibly be. While I'd like to not foster that attitude, there's not much I can do to actually get a name out there if I was charging top dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.