Last name for Bryn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilpixie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with coming up with a last name for my MC. While she IS a faerie princess, she also is currently (before the start of where my story is) on the run and kicks demon and other evil creatures' ass. I have laid out in a poll some of my ideas.

lilpixie

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, I made a typo and didn't know how to fix it. The last choice should read Ceallach. It is a Gaelic name.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Bryn Archer personally. It seemed the most action-y to me.

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
sure a basic first name followed by a surname is good. but you said KICK ASS didn't you?

I've always been fond of character whose name was had an alias that told a short story like

Byrn of the burning wood meadow

or

Byrn the boggart hunter

lilpixie

Registered
Reaction score
That's an interesting approach T J Deen. Actually that makes me think of Anita Blake where some of the vampires just call her "The Executioner" or "The Vampire Executioner".

Thanks for that thought

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I voted for Bryn Archer but I confess I like the sound of Bryn of the Burning Meadow.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I voted for Bryn Archer but I confess I like the sound of Bryn of the Burning Meadow.

I'm a contrary type person and this is a faerie princess, so this kind of thing sounds much better to me. Bryn Archer almost sounds like you're reaching to come up with an actiony sounding name.

I'd probably prefer something like Bryn Jones or Bryn Schlemiel to play against type - although nobody ever uses her last name. They all call her Bryn of the...whatever, because that's a name she's earned.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a vote for all of the above sound like exotic dancer names? Well, they kinda do! :)

How 'bout Bryn Argan - combo of archer & morgan.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion (for what it's worth, as I struggle to come up with my names sometimes) would be to have a surname that is similar to a word you could use to describe her.

To explain via a random example:

Bryn Thrassion [only something better, that's just the first word to pop into my head]

And thus the demons (or other faeries, or whoever) tend to refer to her as Bryn the Thrasher because of her kick-ass persona.

Just my 1.25 pence :)

Deleted member 42

Uh, I made a typo and didn't know how to fix it. The last choice should read Ceallach. It is a Gaelic name.

Ceallach is typically used with reference to the Hag of Beara.

Bryn is Brythonic, and Ceallach is Goidleic; I wouldn't mix names.

lilpixie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the imput guys! I actually was having such a feeling of "No, none of these really WORK for me" that I scrapped the name all-together. Her REAL name is now August Wysteria. She will go by "August" with her friends/aquaintences, and a "August The ___" with enemies because I think that is a SPLENDID idea! What that part is, I don't know yet, (though I kinda like "August of the Burning Meadow" lol) but I'll come up with something cool.

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean this at all seriously, but the first thing that popped into my mind was "Lemondrop the Destroyer."

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The faeries in my world tend to be named after plants.

If she was in my world, I would name her Poison Ivy or some such...

Question

Soon I will be invincible
Registered
Reaction score
Bryn of the Burning Meadow.

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind too that true names hold power; the fey tend to be chary about revealing or casually using true names.

Status
Not open for further replies.