My publisher's e-book security seems quite inadequate -- advice?

Yorke

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a first time author. I signed a contract with my publisher a while back and submitted the manuscript last month. Publication is set for early next year. It is an academic texbook involving Excel.

It was agreed -- sadly, only verbally -- that the format would consist of a physical book, with example files on a CD. I wrote in such a way as to make understanding the Excel files depend on having the book, and vice-versa, to make it harder for freeloaders to benefit.

This week the publisher said they want to distribute this in e-format as well, and that one single password would allow anyone to download both the text and the Excel files. To be clear -- this is not one password per user; rather, it is one password usable by anyone who has it. Nothing else (e.g proof of purchase etc) is required.

The publisher explains that it is "not set up" to issue one password per customer, and that doing so would be too much administrative hassle.

Perhaps as a novice I'm naive, but to me this sounds like suicide.

One student, for example, could buy the book, obtain the password, and share it -- and then everyone else gets everything for free. The publisher claims it can find out if the password is posted online, but

a) what if the password is shared by word of mouth or email, which can't be monitored?

b) what if it is posted in a way, to evade automated detection, but nontheless makes it clear what it is? (For example, if the password is 01562948HwI, one could post the following online: "Stick the following three bits together: the middle bit is 6294; precede this with 015; and follow it with 8HwI".

I realize that no book is completely uncopyable (just as ultimately locks only keep honest people honest); and that people do scan / photocopy physical books. But just because any method of distribution makes copying equally possible, does not mean they make it equally probable. Scanning a 500 page text takes time and trouble; whereas entering a universal, easily obtained code is effortless -- it makes things just as easy for freeloaders as can be. And it is bound to be awfully tempting even to people who would normally buy , rather than seek freebies.

Am I missing something here? How is copy protection normally handled? The written contract gives the publisher the right to distribute in whatever format it wishes. I signed assuming it would not take a very ill-thought-out approach which would mean none of us makes any money. That's a lesson for me -- but potentially a very painful one.

Deleted member 42

Honestly, there is no way to securely protect an ebook. Any DRM is easily broken with free software.

The practice your publisher is using is one that is typically used by publishers of college textbooks. It works without having to spend a great deal of money on creating security/secure sites that, frankly, don't really work very well.

My technical books are generally available within a month of their release, illicitly on sites all over the world.

My publisher is active in contacting illegal distributors, but really, the people who download books illicitly are not likely to be willing to pay for the book.

You're not actually losing money or sales, and if you fret about this too much you'll go mad.

What I would do is make sure that the Excel files have your name on them, and the publisher's data.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If only one password allows anyone to download the files to any computer at any time this is very insecure. The publisher should provide direct fulfillment, or use an e-tailer than does.

Having a single password between the public and free products is different from having DRM on the file. It's just... well, it's just incompetent in my opinion.

Deleted member 42

If only one password allows anyone to download the files to any computer at any time this is very insecure. The publisher should provide direct fulfillment, or use an e-tailer than does.

Having a single password between the public and free products is different from having DRM on the file. It's just... well, it's just incompetent in my opinion.

It is however standard for technical publishing and textbooks, both.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Not that I've noticed. Maybe it depends on discipline but I generally buy my science books and textbooks, and they send it to me directly or send me a download link that is unique to me. What publishers have a single password for a title that everyone can use indefinitely to download unlimited copies?

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
Allowing free or easy access to the files that you use with the book doesn't sound that unusual. Who cares, you need the book to use them.

However, not having a basic storefront for people who are going to buy only the electronic version of the book or simply avoiding the issue and selling through the usual ebook sites seems like amateur hour. You said there was a verbal agreement, do you actually have a contract? Is this a real publisher?

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
The files resulting from the shared password are no more secure than the password. So even if you had unique passwords, a legit copy would just be downloaded and fileshared rather than rather than obtained through a shared password. Six of one, half a dozen of another. Your alternate method is no more secure, and there's no fully secure method of data sharing. No method that's even secure enough to be a minor deterrant.

I work tangentially with the movie industry that spends millions on their security research and implimentation. New security on their discs is generally cracked within days if not the same day. A small publisher isn't going to do better. Some level of piracy is just part of the deal with digital media.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two issues here, the download files and the book itself. For files, the norm is that all the files are freely available. For books, there really is very little piracy that affects sales, even in textbooks. That's why the expense of security isn't justified.

The bottom line though is that it's not your decision. It's the publisher's. You just get to live with it.

Jeff

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Two issues here, the download files and the book itself. For files, the norm is that all the files are freely available. For books, there really is very little piracy that affects sales, even in textbooks. That's why the expense of security isn't justified.

The bottom line though is that it's not your decision. It's the publisher's. You just get to live with it.

Jeff

Or not sign the contract giving them those rights.

FWIW I was not commenting on the files/DRM at all. Just the fact that the publisher has only one download link with only one password.