PDA

View Full Version : What's the Greatest Sequel Evah?

Diana Hignutt
10-18-2012, 07:14 PM
I've been thinking about this and kicking it around with friends, but we need to bring in the big guns (that's you good people) to sort this out. Among those mentioned so far:

Godfather II
Empire Strikes Back
The Dark Knight
Terminator II
Back to the Future II

What's your thoughts on the greatest cinematic (direct)sequel of all time?

I'm still thinking on it...

HeavilyMedicated
10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
I'll add:

Spider-Man 2
Aliens

Archerbird
10-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Aliens :evil

Fenika
10-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Aliens. Lock thread.

Xelebes
10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Trolls 2

what?

lbender
10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know about the 'greatest', but both Star Trek II (with Khan), and Superman II (with Christopher Reeve) were much better than the first films, and probably saved the series.

By the way, Back to the Future II was the weakest of the 3 movies.

Gravity
10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Gotta go with Aliens. :D

Lavern08
10-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Godfather II

(Seen my signature lately?) ;)

KateSmash
10-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Aliens. Lock thread.

Yup. Answer is and will always be Aliens.

CrastersBabies
10-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Aliens - huzzah!

I also liked Terminator 2. A LOT.

Empire Strikes Back (a given)

Lethal Weapon 2

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

The Two Towers

Maryn
10-19-2012, 01:23 AM
I've got to go with Godfather, Part II, although some of the others were good sequels.

Maryn, most disappointed with part III

druid12000
10-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Aliens running neck and neck with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but the aliens can kick Khan's butt so...Aliens wins by that awesome second set of teeth :e2teeth:

DeleyanLee
10-19-2012, 02:39 AM
My first thought was also Wrath of Khan, but I can't argue with Dark Knight. Dark Knight is beyond awesome. I guess I forget it was the sequel since I haven't seen the first one--or the third one, for that matter. (Should probably get around to that somewhen.)

Rhoda Nightingale
10-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Well, Aliens and Empire Strikes Back are the obvious choices, of course. Although I'm with DeleyanLee on sometimes forgetting The Dark Knight is a sequel because it's such a great standalone movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time.

Surely there's more we can add to the list though? That seems like not a lot of movies.

druid12000
10-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Halloween II. In keeping with the season and it was better than the original, imo.

DreamWeaver
10-19-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm not a fan of The Empire Strikes Back, so I have to go with a tie between Aliens and Godfather II, partly because the movies they were sequels to were totally kickass, also. ETA: Star Wars *is* totally kickass--not dissing it in any way, just was underwhelmed by TESB.

Being a killer sequel to a film that's amazing to begin with is much more difficult that being an improved sequel to a poor, mediocre, or just ordinary film.

thothguard51
10-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Another for Aliens...

Ripley, kicked ass...

Sam Argent
10-19-2012, 03:44 AM
Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, and Desperado.

druid12000
10-19-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm not a fan of The Empire Strikes Back, so I have to go with a tie between Aliens and Godfather II, partly because the movies they were sequels to were totally kickass, also. ETA: Star Wars *is* totally kickass--not dissing it in any way, just was underwhelmed by TESB.

Being a killer sequel to a film that's amazing to begin with is much more difficult that being an improved sequel to a poor, mediocre, or just ordinary film.

I love the Star Wars saga but I have to agree, i was not as impressed by The Empire Strikes Back as Star Wars and that feeling has lingered from the time I saw it in the theater until now.

druid12000
10-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Another for Aliens...

Ripley, kicked ass...

"Get away from her you BITCH!". Yeah :)

CrastersBabies
10-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Well this is some pretty shit here!

Rhoda Nightingale
10-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, and Desperado.
Oooh, seconding Desperado. Another one I forget was a sequel.

OH! Also Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn.

druid12000
10-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Oooh, seconding Desperado. Another one I forget was a sequel.

OH! Also Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn.

Evil Dead II was hilarious! I need to watch that again...

jvc
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I'd go with The Dark Knight, Aliens, Empire Strikes Back and ... Oh crap, I had another one when I started this post and now it's gone from my head. I'll come back to it.

Diana Hignutt
10-19-2012, 02:39 PM
I didn't think Aliens was that great.

Diana Hignutt
10-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Superman II should be mentioned.

Diana Hignutt
10-19-2012, 02:41 PM
The Two towers was the weakest of the three films though...

Ken
10-19-2012, 03:03 PM
_ _ _ Rocky III. Rocky II wasn't really that good. Just okay. But III. Wow!

gothicangel
10-19-2012, 10:57 PM

I've always felt that Jedi was a better film than Empire. Same with Two Towers, I far prefer Return of the King.

quickWit
10-19-2012, 11:05 PM

You're dead to me.

That may not hurt so much right now, but in a couple days that...that's gonna really sting.

Charles Farley
10-19-2012, 11:17 PM
The Devil's Rejects

Dawn of the Dead

The Bourne Supremacy

DreamWeaver
10-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, and Desperado.I'm going to have to raise you one on that last pick, and go for Once Upon a Time in Mexico :D.

childeroland
10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
The Godfather II
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Empire Strikes Back
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Three Colors: Red

triceretops
10-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Jurassic Park II. And kill me now, but the Road Warrior has been a cult favorite of mine forever. Well, a cult film in my eyes.
tri

DreamWeaver
10-20-2012, 05:59 AM
The Road Warrior--great pick!

JimmyB27
10-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Godfather II?? Are you freaking kidding me?

fivetoesten
10-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Aliens.

carlstevenswriter
10-20-2012, 06:40 PM
The one I haven't written yet. That's what my wife says and with an audience of one I can't go wrong.

SirOtter
10-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Bride of Frankenstein

Barking Tree
10-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Got to go with the majority: Aliens and Terminator II

Diana Hignutt
10-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Avengers - it's the direct sequel of ...one, two, three, what, five? films. Maybe?

Diana Hignutt
10-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Bride of Frankenstein

Good call.

Pterofan
10-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Dang. All my favorites have been mentioned already. Now I'll have to go with The Mummy Returns.

And another vote for Aliens.

And Bride of Chucky, just 'cause.

DarkSongofErrin
10-22-2012, 03:46 AM
Speaking of chucky, I have to nominate seed of chucky as one of the worst.

But back on topic. Two towers and the dark knight which have already been mentioned and BTF II

Diver
10-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Aliens. Aliens. Aliens.

“They mostly come out at night, mostly.”

Did I mention Aliens? :D

druid12000
10-22-2012, 09:17 PM
28 Weeks Later. Solidly as good if not better than 28 Days Later.

quickWit
10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Aliens. Aliens. Aliens.

“They mostly come out at night, mostly.”

Did I mention Aliens? :D

"Why don't you put her in charge?"

Hudson's one of the greatest whiners in the history of space.

Pterofan
10-22-2012, 09:33 PM
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid." You go, Bishop.

Gravity
10-22-2012, 11:52 PM
"I'm sorry, did IQs suddenly drop while I was away?" Ellen Ripley, Aliens

acockey
10-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Jaws II... becuz sharks are awesome

Sam Argent
10-23-2012, 02:19 AM
I'm going to have to raise you one on that last pick, and go for Once Upon a Time in Mexico :D.

It's a good movie but it did that one thing I didn't want it to do. Sure, it goes along with the theme of the trilogy, but come on, they didn't have to do it.

Pterofan
10-23-2012, 02:50 AM

Guess she don't like the cornbread either.

Diana Hignutt
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
So, at AW, it's Aliens...even if it should be The Avengers.

Purple Rose
10-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Aliens. Lock thread.

Yes. I agree.

Pterofan
10-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Who wants to see Hulk smash the Alien Queen? Show of hands.

SirOtter
10-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Who wants to see Hulk smash the Alien Queen? Show of hands.

"Puny queen."

Dreity
10-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Would I be a dork if I said Toy Story 2? Because seriously, I have never, NEVER, seen a better animated movie sequel.

thebloodfiend
10-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Aliens. The first one was okay. The third one bored me. I'm probably the only person in the world who liked the fourth one. And Prometheus was kind of lackluster. AVP was more entertaining.

Jcomp
10-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Godfather II and The Road Warrior.

Mac H.
10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Sometimes they try to take the sequel in a new direction. They don't have any of the old cast returning, but they try and make a sequel anyway. Like Teen Wolf II.

Has that ever worked?

The worst example recently was the sequel to 'Iron Man'.

I understand - they couldn't get the original cast to return, so they try a new direction and cast a woman as the lead.

And then the superhero stuff wasn't really working so they just focus on the politics of it. And then make the main character British for no apparent reason.

But it didn't work.

So my vote for the worst sequel ever: Iron Lady

Mac

Bloo
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Would I be a dork if I said Toy Story 2? Because seriously, I have never, NEVER, seen a better animated movie sequel.

THANK YOU! I came to this thread just for the purpose of Toy Story 2 and 3

treetops
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I have to go with ALIENS too. A great sequel to one of the best films ever made. Shame about all the others that followed. I had real hopes for Prometheus but found it to be a serious letdown too.

Aliens, closely followed by Mad Max 2 as the best sequels

robeiae
11-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Aliens.

First, because it's awesome.

Second, because it has more memorable--and usable quotes--than any movie ever made.

Just the other day, my wife, her brother, and her sister were talking about their father who is getting divorced (again), is going to be pretty much alone, and is just difficult to be around. My wife told her siblings that she would make time to go kinda help him go through some stuff before he moves out. Her brother said something like "yeah, that's good, I just can't do it this week."

To which I replied "Good idea! Bishop should go!" and looked around like I was very nervous.

Diana Hignutt
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Aliens.

Second, because it has more memorable--and usable quotes--than any movie ever made.

Just the other day, my wife, her brother, and her sister were talking about their father who is getting divorced (again), is going to be pretty much alone, and is just difficult to be around. My wife told her siblings that she would make time to go kinda help him go through some stuff before he moves out. Her brother said something like "yeah, that's good, I just can't do it this week."

To which I replied "Good idea! Bishop should go!" and looked around like I was very nervous.

I reject the premise that Aliens is awesome (I've seen it afterall), but I do accept its great lines as myriad and substansive.

Gravity
11-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Slight thread derail, but in IMO the most quotable film ever is Full Metal Jacket.

To wit:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann: "What the hell is this, Private Pyle? A JELLY DOUGHNUT!?"

Thank you. We now return you to your regular thread, already in progress.

Mr Flibble
11-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Aliens.

Three -- Hicks.

Though I question 2 - Aliens has some great quotable lines (Have you ever been mistaken for a man? No. Have you?) but any Monty Python film would win that contest.

Otto von Bismarck
11-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Now the only debate left is which of the Harry Potter movies is the best...

Mine vote's on Half-Blood Prince.

jmare
11-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Now the only debate left is which of the Harry Potter movies is the best...

Mine vote's on Half-Blood Prince.

Oh god no!

As far as non-sequel sequels, I'd say Chasing Amy and Dogma.

Shadow_Ferret
11-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Shrek II.

And honestly, I don't even remember what Aliens was about.

Mr Flibble
11-08-2012, 06:28 AM
It was about aliens? Wild shot in the dark there...:D

druid12000
11-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Shrek II.

And honestly, I don't even remember what Aliens was about.

Uh, what? Ripley totally kicks ass on the Alien horde. Did you block it out with some sort of Jedi mind trick? Did Spock put all of his past into you so he could reclaim it later? Did Woody and Buzz Lightyear put you up to these shenanigans? Geez.

thebloodfiend
11-08-2012, 07:35 AM
I reject the premise that Aliens is awesome (I've seen it afterall), but I do accept its great lines as myriad and substansive.

WHY DO YOU NOT LIKE ALIENS!?

Honest question.

Shadow_Ferret
11-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Uh, what? Ripley totally kicks ass on the Alien horde. Did you block it out with some sort of Jedi mind trick? Did Spock put all of his past into you so he could reclaim it later? Did Woody and Buzz Lightyear put you up to these shenanigans? Geez.

Oh. Yes, I did block it. I hated it. I hated how they manipulated us by putting a child in danger all the time. "Oh, look out! It's gonna get the little girl! Doesn't that scare you?" No. It's cheap.

Diana Hignutt
11-08-2012, 03:05 PM
WHY DO YOU NOT LIKE ALIENS!?

Honest question.

Because Alien is vastly superior. Better cast. Tom skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Hom, and of course, Ripley. Groundbreaking concept. First modern monster movie in space. I think the claustraphobia of the spaceship adds a lot. And you had no idea how it would end, who would survive. Whereas, in Aliens you get B-movie hacks like Paxton and "Kyle Reese", and you know as soon as you see Ripley that she will survive and defeat the alien menace as a matter of course.

And the entire gimmick the movie is predicated upon is...more than one alien...which then caused a dreadful meme in horror sequels.

And because, as far as sequels go...it's no Dark Knight, no Avengers, no Back to the Future 2.

I hope this answers your question.

I'm going to nominate Harold and Kumar's 3D Christmas.

Take that!

Mr Flibble
11-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Whereas, in Aliens you get B-movie hacks like Paxton and "Kyle Reese", and you know as soon as you see Ripley that she will survive and defeat the alien menace as a matter of course.

Hey, don't diss the Hicks, man!

I can see your point though - the first was more suspense who'sgonnadie, maybe a psychological thriller film, and the second was an action/revenge flick and they did those two things better in each film I think. As a revenge/action flick I think it does superbly - but it's not the same, and not supposed to be.

I don't think it's any better a sequel than say Dark Knight or Terminator 2 (though you could make the case that it's a different sort of film, again a revenge flick as opposed to the original) or Road Warrior

PS: If Avengers is counting, can we do Bond films? Skyfall is farking great.

Diana Hignutt
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey, don't diss the Hicks, man!

I can see your point though - the first was more suspense who'sgonnadie, maybe a psychological thriller film, and the second was an action/revenge flick and they did those two things better in each film I think. As a revenge/action flick I think it does superbly - but it's not the same, and not supposed to be.

I don't think it's any better a sequel than say Dark Knight or Terminator 2 (though you could make the case that it's a different sort of film, again a revenge flick as opposed to the original) or Road Warrior

PS: If Avengers is counting, can we do Bond films? Skyfall is farking great.

Everything counts, my friend...as long as its a direct sequel...

Ken
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
... Flint was pretty cool. There was In Like Flint. Our Man Flint. And some others. Saw them years back. Kind of a spoof of the Bond flicks. Colburn played the lead. Cool actor.

Diana Hignutt
11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
... Flint was pretty cool. There was In Like Flint. Our Man Flint. And some others. Saw them years back. Kind of a spoof of the Bond flicks. Colburn played the lead. Cool actor.

Those were fun movies. James Colburn. What a guy. In The Magnificent Seven, he brought a knife to a gun fight...and won...

Camilla Delvalle
11-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Dungeons and Dragons 2?
American Pie 2?

thebloodfiend
11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
As far the Alien movies go, I rank them:

Resurrection
Aliens
Alien
Alien 3 or Prometheus

Cast mattered not to me because I don't even know who any of those actors were besides Sigourney Weaver. They were equal, IMO. Children in danger doesn't bother me, either -- but I watch a lot of anime. And I don't know if it's a bad thing that you know she'll survive. Like you know Batman and The Avengers can't die. But I never had the feeling in the first movie that she'd die, either. And I've seen them all like a million times.

But I don't know why people like The Avengers so much, anyway. Or the Dark Knight. They were okay as far as big budget movies go. Nolan has done better. Much better. I can't say if Whedon has done better because I can't stand more than ten minutes of Buffy and Firefly and have no interest in Dollhouse.

I won't even say anything about the Back to the Future movies. I've never liked a single one of those more than 1.75 stars out of five.

But if I'm going to nominate the worst sequel ever, I'd go with The Matrix Reloaded.

MattW
11-10-2012, 05:30 PM
KHAAAAAAN!!!!!

Mostly because of the step change in quality from its predecessor.

robeiae
11-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Slight thread derail, but in IMO the most quotable film ever is Full Metal Jacket.

To wit:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann: "What the hell is this, Private Pyle? A JELLY DOUGHNUT!?"

Thank you. We now return you to your regular thread, already in progress.They mostly come out at night. Mostly.

Though I question 2 - Aliens has some great quotable lines (Have you ever been mistaken for a man? No. Have you?) but any Monty Python film would win that contest.I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

/end derail.

Seriously though, I could probably go a couple of days easy saying nothing but quotes from Monty Python movies. But a lot of those quotes are just silly. The great thing about quotes from Aliens--and from other flicks like Glengarry Glen Ross--is their real-world applicability, like with my brother in law. He knew the quote, he knew exactly what I was saying. And he laughed because he knew it was true.

robeiae
11-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Because Alien is vastly superior. Better cast. Tom skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Hom, and of course, Ripley. Groundbreaking concept. First modern monster movie in space. I think the claustraphobia of the spaceship adds a lot. And you had no idea how it would end, who would survive. Whereas, in Aliens you get B-movie hacks like Paxton and "Kyle Reese", and you know as soon as you see Ripley that she will survive and defeat the alien menace as a matter of course.

And the entire gimmick the movie is predicated upon is...more than one alien...which then caused a dreadful meme in horror sequels.
Well, it'd hardly the fault of Aliens that there was such a deluge of sequels.

But I understand and respect your position. I think you're wrong, though.

Even though Aliens is a sequel, it's an entirely different sort of movie. And remember, Alien--though hugely original in some ways--was also gimmicky as well, with obvious "make the audience jump" moments.

Honestly, I love both movies, but Aliens is--in my view--twice the movie the first is in a number of different ways. The beginning storyline and backstory is awesome and it gave Weaver the opportunity to dig into her character. Remember she was actually nominated for an Academy Award for Aliens. That movie made scifi acceptable as an art form for people that usually dismissed it. The directing for Aliens was tight and brilliant, imo. As good as Ridley Scott was in Alien, Cameron was better on the sequel. And no one could ignore that in Hollywoodland, that there was no difference in quality between the direction in Aliens and in that of Academy Award winners. It was a building momentum, to be sure, with Scott upping the ante in '82 with Bladerunner.

Because if you ask me, the best picture of '82 was Bladerunner. And the best director of '82 was Scott. Similarly, Aliens was the best film of 1986, Cameron was the best director, Weaver was the best actress...that movie could easily have been Avatar before there was Avatar. In fact, I'd argue that Cameron never did better--as far as directing--than he did in Aliens. It was his best effort by far, despite subsequent Academy Awards.

Ken
11-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Those were fun movies. James Colburn. What a guy. In The Magnificent Seven, he brought a knife to a gun fight...and won...

... cool. I saw that flick years back. Time for a refresher.

mellymel
11-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Aliens

Kill Bill Volume 2

Matrix Reloaded

Toy Story 2

Shrek 2

Terminator 2

Rocky 2

Paranormal Activity 2

mellymel
11-12-2012, 04:31 AM
The Two towers was the weakest of the three films though...

agree.

Dodge
11-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Predator 2

A great sequel that connected Predator and Alien together in the last scene... their ship, on the wall, an alien skull was hanging amongst other skulls/trophies. That was cool!

blacbird
11-22-2012, 07:04 AM
It's a long ways down the sequel road, now 25 films or so along, but Skyfall makes a pretty good case for itself.

caw

amblack
11-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Toy Story sequels were great, the recent Nolan Batman films have been great, and X-Men II, if only for the "Juggernaut, bitch" line.

eyeblink
11-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Godfather II?? Are you freaking kidding me?

No.

I'll add Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead - original versions.