PDA

View Full Version : My name is Amanda

verymandy
10-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi! My name is Amanda. I live in Waco, Texas. I have always been interested in the arts. I grew up writing poetry and drawing. In junior high and high school, I found a passion for publication. Though reading magazines and making homemade newspapers and magazines since a child, working on a team on my school newspapers became my number one focus. I went to college at Baylor University and majored in Journalism -- working for the college newspaper. After college, I had two jobs -- 1) I worked in the photolab at Wal-Mart 2) I was first a writers and then the assistant editor and then the editor of a city newspaper. I also became a spoken word poet at this time. Then, I decided to go back to school and get a degree in education. I did a one year internship in an inner-city school and then worked for 3 years in inner-city schools facing the challenges everyday with a positive attitude and a real love for the children. I decided 2 years ago to follow a new passion in my life and new dream. I decided that I wanted to start a beautiful literary journal that published short stories, poetry, art, and photography. My vision for the publication is for it to be representational of Central Texas but to also accept and publish work from around the world. Bohemia has become just that.

I came of with the name Bohemia because of the play Rent-- I became familiar with the word. I always told people that I had a "gypsy soul" and even wrote a song about it on my guitar. After hearing the soundtrack to the musical Rent on a roadtrip to Florida with some friends -- "gypsy soul" and "Bohemia" were 2 things I wanted to have tattooed on my back. I never was able to afford the tattoo, but I started a magazine called Bohemia instead.

Please help support my dream by liking us on facebook, subscribing to our blog, viewing the magazine online (there are 7 issues!), submitting your photos, submitting your art, submitting your short stories, and poetry. We also do guest blogs on the blog site-- if you have a story that you think would make a very interesting blog. Please, please, please check us out.

Our November 2011 issue and our Fall 2012 both feature fairy tales and folklore.

Amanda
Owner and Editor
Bohemia Art and Literary Journal

Bohemia is a quarterly journal that is free to view online, distributed locally in Waco, TX, and mailed to subscribers. www.bohemia-journal.com
We are always looking for submissions.

Bohemia is a blog. Subscribe to our blog. http://bohojo.wordpress.com

Bohemia is a facebook feed, "like" us! www.facebook.com/bohemiajournal

Follow us on twitter too -- www.twitter.com/bohemiajournal

rwm4768
10-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Welcome. Good luck with your literary journal.

Nickie
10-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forums, Amanda.

drzimo
10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
You have quite the resume, Welcome.

cooeedownunder
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Welcome Amanda, have fun.

Fallen
10-18-2012, 11:50 AM
:hi:

Bennyjayruss
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome! :)

regdog
10-18-2012, 01:52 PM
This more Self Promotion so I'll port it to that forum.

Ari Meermans
10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi, Amanda

I've had a look at your journal's submission guidelines and noted payment is in the form of a subscription to the journal. We'll be taking a short trip over to Nonpaying Markets.

I also noticed that you state you retain reprint/reproduction rights indefinitely, but you also go on to state "shared" rights revert to the creators after six months. Could you explain what you are meaning by the phrase "shared rights"?

Thanks,
Ari

verymandy
10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Dear writers,

Thank you so much for the reception into this forum. I am looking forward to interacting in a writer's community. Especially since I have many questions about things and could learn from others.

The "shared" rights of publishing the stories is that we retain the right to print the story in the magazine and also to reprint the magazine at any time. We also can put the stories on our website as well. Of course all stories are fully credited.

We have already had writers who published stories with us who turned around and submitted them to other places as well. We also had a writer submit to us the first chapter in their novel that she planned. So we don't feel like retaining the right to reprint the work takes anything from the author.

Little Ming
10-18-2012, 11:34 PM
The "shared" rights of publishing the stories is that we retain the right to print the story in the magazine and also to reprint the magazine at any time. We also can put the stories on our website as well. Of course all stories are fully credited.

We have already had writers who published stories with us who turned around and submitted them to other places as well. We also had a writer submit to us the first chapter in their novel that she planned. So we don't feel like retaining the right to reprint the work takes anything from the author.

From the website:

Rights
Bohemia maintains the right to publish and reproduce all submissions indefinitely. Shared rights to publish and reproduce work are returned to the creator of the work after six months.

I think what you mean is you want exclusive rights for six months and then non-exclusive rights after that indefinitely. If so, you might want to edit your submissions page.

Old Hack
10-19-2012, 12:33 AM
That doesn't sound like a good deal for writers, especially bearing in mind that all they get is a subscription to the journal concerned--and the journal concerned doesn't have a reputation of any sort at the moment, as it's so new.

With all due respect to the OP, I'll pass on this one.

Mr. Anonymous
10-27-2012, 10:07 PM
payment is in the form of a subscription to the journal. We'll be taking a short trip over to Nonpaying Markets.

Payment does not appear to be in the form of a subscription.

Contributors will be given the option to purchase copies of the print publication in which their contribution appears. Bohemia is free to view online electronically.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with non-paying markets, and I think it's great that the mag is free to view online. I also think it looks great from an aesthetic point of view. I just wanted to clarify.