Emergency Response Times

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the basics of what's happening: Girl has just come home from school, when the neighbor kid, who has ran over, pounds on the door. Her dad answers. Something is wrong, but she doesn't know what. Her Dad tells her to stay put, and he drives off with kid. After a few minutes, she starts wondering what's going on, so she walks over to their place (rural area). When she gets there she sees her Dad, the kid, and the sheriff's officer in front of the barn. The kid's older brother has killed himself.

I just wrote this scene as I saw it playing out. And, it's based on when one of our neighbor kids thought something happened to his parents and ran over to our place, which was some distance for a kid barefoot on a gravel road. He has our phone number and could have easily called. That's why I saw my character running to his neighbors for help. He panics.

I never say when 911 is called. I know it's a minor issue in my plot, but is it realistic if it's rural and he's dead for just the Sheriff to be there at that point?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the basics of what's happening: Girl has just come home from school, when the neighbor kid, who has ran over, pounds on the door. Her dad answers. Something is wrong, but she doesn't know what. Her Dad tells her to stay put, and he drives off with kid. After a few minutes, she starts wondering what's going on, so she walks over to their place (rural area). When she gets there she sees her Dad, the kid, and the sheriff's officer in front of the barn. The kid's older brother has killed himself.

I just wrote this scene as I saw it playing out. And, it's based on when one of our neighbor kids thought something happened to his parents and ran over to our place, which was some distance for a kid barefoot on a gravel road. He has our phone number and could have easily called. That's why I saw my character running to his neighbors for help. He panics.

I never say when 911 is called. I know it's a minor issue in my plot, but is it realistic if it's rural and he's dead for just the Sheriff to be there at that point?

If it's a rural area and the Sheriff was near the farm, I imagine he'd get there ahead of EMTs/paramedics/volunteer firemen, (whatever they have locally) if they had to come from their station.
Esp. if the 911 or equivalent said "Someone's dead", even more so if the caller was a distraught kid.

And, I can understand the kid running over instead of calling. In shock/panic, sometimes you just want people. Especially if it's something beyond your experience, or expectations, or training.
You call the paramedics if someone is having a heart attack.
You call the fire department if you find a fire.
You call the police if there's a stranger trying to break in.
I've never seen the PSA that tells you what to do if you come home to find a family member dead.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
As a former sheriff's deputy I can tell you that what you've written is possible. If it is rural in a small county and there presumably isn't anything else going on aside from overflowing toilets and a loose dog (an actual scenario I worked) then a deputy's response time could be very quick depending on where they were parked when the call came in.

Other services would be coming from a center in town, and typically wouldn't be hanging out on a country road waiting for something to happen.

If you are really torn up over the timing, you could have the character running up to find the Sheriff pulling up the drive. That could account for another couple of minutes either direction.

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
As a former sheriff's deputy I can tell you that what you've written is possible. If it is rural in a small county and there presumably isn't anything else going on aside from overflowing toilets and a loose dog (an actual scenario I worked) then a deputy's response time could be very quick depending on where they were parked when the call came in.

Other services would be coming from a center in town, and typically wouldn't be hanging out on a country road waiting for something to happen.

If you are really torn up over the timing, you could have the character running up to find the Sheriff pulling up the drive. That could account for another couple of minutes either direction.

Funny you say that, because the MC thinks about how someone's cow probably got out. Thanks for the input. It's about 15-20 minutes from a small town. But think open range...ranch roads and cattle guards.

A boy I grew up with (in a rural area) shot himself, and they had to fly him by helicopter, so he could even get to a hospital that could handle that sort of trauma.