Uruguay legalises abortions

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
For those following women's rights around the world.

The Uruguayan Senate voted 17-14 on Wednesday to legalize all first trimester abortions in a groundbreaking step in Latin America.

Uruguay's measure will decriminalize the procedure but require women to justify themselves before a panel of experts and wait five days before confirming they want to go ahead. It also decriminalizes late-term abortions when the mother's life is at risk or the fetus is deformed. Rape victims would be able to get legal abortions through 14 weeks of pregnancy.

Judges would no longer be involved when adults seek the procedure, and while minors would need court approval, they need not get permission beforehand from their parents.

It's not the best law, "and not the solution we wanted, but it's an advance," said Sen. Luis Gallo, a supporter and member of the ruling Broad Front coalition. Women who decide to get abortions won't be penalized if they follow the rules, and thus avoid the "humiliating secrecy" of illegal abortions," he argued.

Yahoo News

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hardly surprising, Uruaguay has always been the most socially progressive country in Latin America. Just look how they are on the whole LGBT rights affair.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm so glad Uruguay did this, but at the same time, I'm always stunned to be reminded how restricted women's rights are in so many countries. And then I look at my own country, and I get really worried.

Go, Uruguay! Lead the way!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
This took some digging to find.

Hearing this news reminded me of an article I read for my anthropology courses. It addresses the role of the Catholic church in condoning the neglect and death of infants in parts of Brazil, a problem systemic to morally banning contraceptives in poverty stricken shanties. What's described in the article sounds pretty much like post birth abortions.

Anyway, since Brazil isn't terribly far from Uruguay (yes, I know one speaks portuguese and the other spanish), I just thought it might be relevant to understanding historic and cultural context, and that others might find it interesting.

LINK: Article