At last! A first draft

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished my first ever attempt at a novel. Which means a lot to me: I've been trying to write one for about half my life now, and I had my suspicions at times that I would always sabotage my efforts, as a lot of my projects have fallen by the wayside over the years.

I don't care that it's rubbish at the moment, that it's got great gaping plot holes, that the characterisation needs tons of work, that it needs to be made good, then better, then great, that it will need about a zillion edits... All I care about is that it is DONE! :D

And having taken well over a decade to write a first draft, I now have a mad urge to throw myself headlong into NaNoWriMo for the first time ever, to attempt the second novel (while the dust settles on the first one, before I go back to it with a fresh perspective). I've been burning to write the second one for quite a while now, but I was thoroughly disciplined and wouldn't let myself so much as outline it until the first attempt existed in its entirety.

I don't quite know what to do with myself right now though... :)

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
wow that's great!
I think you're definitely tackling it from the right angle by leaving it, doing something else then looking back to make edits.
I often reread things I've written and wonder what I was thinking because I want to change all of it!
As for nanowrimo, it's not too far away now!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, do NaNo with the second novel. That will thoroughly cleanse your palate of the first novel, allowing you to go back to it with some critical objectivity.

Just don't let Number Two take over. Even if you don't complete it during NaNo, you can set it aside until you're subbing Novel One, when the best balm for rejection is working on the next book.

And CGs!

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

You should go for NaNo too. I'm trying to do what you've done. Finish your current WIP and then go into NaNo.

Even if you can't do it in time, you'll have done a lot to come back to.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Great job! :yessmiley Congratulations!