• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta request - standalone fantasy YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

link_389

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a completed, edited novel to be read. It's a fantasy set in an industrialised city, about magical chimney sweeps. Here's a few details:
Genre: YA Fantasy
Length: 73,000 words.
Specifically looking for critique on plot and character, rather than spelling and grammar. I'd like a strong critique, as I'm preparing it for querying with agents/publishers. It's my 11th novel I've written so I'm really hoping this will be the one. I'd be happy to send you the first chapter if you desire to give you a taste as to whether you'd be interested in it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Link,

If you don't get many people putting their hand up, it may be because a lot of beta readers prefer to work with an author they know rather than a complete stranger. Hang around AW, participate in the various threads, and let us get to know you, and you'll probably have a better strike rate!

And, once you've got 50 posts under your belt, you can post your opening chapter and query letter in the Share Your Work critique subforum for general feedback -- which is another great way for us to get to know you, and for you to get to know us.

link_389

Registered
Reaction score
@Unimportant: Sounds like a good idea, and I will do so.
@Leslie: Will happily do so. I'll email it through shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.