Cardboard Bike?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/cardboard-bicycle-change-world-says-israeli-inventor-090732689.html

I'm excited for this one to hit the market. They're cheap, light, and durable, while also being recycleable and made out renewable materials. With zero maintenence needed. Sounds like my kind of bike.

In testing the durability of the treated cardboard, Gafni said he immersed a cross-section in a water tank for several months and it retained all its hardened characteristics.
Once ready for production, the bicycle will include no metal parts, even the brake mechanism and the wheel and pedal bearings will be made of recycled substances, although Gafni said he could not yet reveal those details due to pending patent issues.

So do you think someday cardboard will rule the world? I think it would be interesting to see how many applications we can find for things like this and especially if we add hemp into the mix, I think we could go a long way into being totally renewable.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling cynical today and am just imagining the chemicals that would have to be used to get paper to do this and then wonder about the environmental impact of such a product.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling cynical today and am just imagining the chemicals that would have to be used to get paper to do this and then wonder about the environmental impact of such a product.
The hardening material is 50% mercury and 50% baby seal blood.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It says in the article that they are considered a green product. I'd hope that whatever government agency stamped that with a seal of green, considered whatever chemicals they were using. And it is in Isreal not the US. So I can't answer the question of what they use, but I do know they've been through at least some testing for environmental safety.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It says in the article that they are considered a green product. I'd hope that whatever government agency stamped that with a seal of green, considered whatever chemicals they were using. And it is in Isreal not the US. So I can't answer the question of what they use, but I do know they've been through at least some testing for environmental safety.

And according to the Bush Administration, Mountain top removal is ecologically sound. I'll wait for the data and not some stamp of approval by someone I don't trust

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say otherwise, I was simply saying that it has passed green standards in Isreal.