USA mannerisms

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
I'm rewriting my book and I've been thinking about where the MC's from. I originally planned him on being North American (from Ohio), but I'm from London so I think there might be a few mistakes in the way I portrayed him.

Do I write 'mom' instead of 'mum', even though I'm not American, but my character is? Do I use 'o' instead of 'ou' like in 'neighbor' and 'color'? Because even though I live in London, I still miss out the 'u' :/

Or maybe I should just make the MC British and leave it at that. But I hate making characters British :(

Do you have any advice and tips on writing American characters when you're not American yourself, or should I just change his nationality?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Do what your audience needs

If my MC is American and I'm write a book in France, I write it in French, with him speaking French.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
It would be "mom", at least in dialogue or from the character's POV. As to spelling, if it's a UK book just about an American character, I would assume UK spelling.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do what your audience needs

If my MC is American and I'm write a book in France, I write it in French, with him speaking French.

That sounds logical. I've always wondered about it :D

It would be "mom", at least in dialogue or from the character's POV. As to spelling, if it's a UK book just about an American character, I would assume UK spelling.

Thank you. I've been pondering over it for years.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The dialog absolutely needs to reflect what a character from that part of the world would say. In the narrative, I think it can be either but I would find it odd if an American narrator (if first person) used UKisms, and probably still would in 3rd person if all the major characters were American and the story took place in the US.

And I would strongly suggest that when the book is done you find an American beta reader to catch mannerisms you aren't aware of. A British friend of mine wrote a book and had his American child character asking to "stay off from school" instead of "stay home from school," and other dead giveaways. Incidentally, only non-Americans call the country "America." We are Americans, but we live in the US.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have lived in the US for about ten years now but only recently started writing American characters. I still make a good dozen glaring errors of culture per novella which my lucky editor gets to weed out.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
If you're British and writing an American character and you aren't familiar with Americanisms it shows. Vice versa, of course.

We have parking lots, not car parks. We say Mom or Mother, not Mum. We go to the hospital, not go to hospital. We have front and back yards, not gardens. There are hundreds of phrases that tell me immediately if I'm reading a British or American book.

I second the recommendation for an American beta reader. I'm going to have to find a British one (familiar with Regency language) for mine. And someone who is Welsh for a few scenes.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You should be able to set your spell-checker for American English vs. UK English. While it won't catch everything, it should highlight the spelling differences such as: neighbor vs. neighbour and tire vs. tyre.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
In this character's dialogue and POV scenes, go with "mom".
Keep the spelling consistent throughout the book.

(Side note on mom/mum: Where my family is from in Canada, it seems to be a generational thing. My boyfriend and I say 'mom', whereas my dad and his parents say 'mum', as does my boyfriend's father.)

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm rewriting my book and I've been thinking about where the MC's from. I originally planned him on being North American (from Ohio), but I'm from London so I think there might be a few mistakes in the way I portrayed him.

Do I write 'mom' instead of 'mum', even though I'm not American, but my character is? Do I use 'o' instead of 'ou' like in 'neighbor' and 'color'? Because even though I live in London, I still miss out the 'u' :/

Or maybe I should just make the MC British and leave it at that. But I hate making characters British :(

Do you have any advice and tips on writing American characters when you're not American yourself, or should I just change his nationality?

I'm not sure why you don't want to make him British, but if he is American, you should use American spellings. If he's a Brit living in the States, you can use U.K. spelling, I would think.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
There are also differences between British English and American English that a spell check won't spot.

Here's one that always stands out for me as an American who reads and watches a lot of British works.
UK: He's in hospital.
US: He's in the hospital.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure why you don't want to make him British, but if he is American, you should use American spellings. If he's a Brit living in the States, you can use U.K. spelling, I would think.

I don't know...I just see my MC as American, and I prefer him to be American. I wouldn't want him to be British at all.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Also decide on what section of the US you want your character to be from and research the area. For someone from Ohio, chances are they'd say 'pop' for something like a Coke or Pepsi. Someone in the East (like me), chances are it's a 'soda'.

You might want to watch American shows set in US cities. For example, Castle which is set in New York City (and the main MC is a writer :)).

I recall having to proof a sales catalog for a British children's educational publisher to make sure that it had the proper spelling, prices, and ISBN codes.

ETA: The British publisher was breaking into the US market and I was proofing the catalog for the US market.

Last edited:

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, hand it to an American to read.

Writing different English cultures is a bit different than a completely foreign one where you can simply translate. It's a whole ballpark I won't even touch, couldn't write a Brit or Australian for the life of me.

No problem with half a dozen other European cultures, probably a few others I could cheat through too, but on those two the use of English completely screws me over.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, only non-Americans call the country "America." We are Americans, but we live in the US.

I call the country America. I think that's actually pretty common. (I'm American.)

Also decide on what section of the US you want your character to be from and research the area. For someone from Ohio, chances are they'd say 'pop' for something like a Coke or Pepsi. Someone in the East (like me), chances are it's a 'soda'.
I agree with this. I'm an American and I'm from Ohio. Most people in northeast Ohio where I grew up call it pop, while southern Ohioans call it soda, and Southerners often call it Coke. That's probably the most glaring example.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an American. But I live in the United States.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Definitely in dialogue you need to use 'mom'.

An American beta seems like a must. They would also pick up on things like putting things in the 'trunk' not in the 'boot' and opening the 'hood' to check engine problems not the 'bonnet'. There are many subtleties like this.

As for spelling - I agree with those who say if you are writing for a British audience then use standard British spelling. But 'mom' and 'mum' are more than spelling, they sound different.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the differences are subtle and endless.

Group nouns are singular here in the US. In Britain, the "family are..." or "the government are..."; in the US it's "the family is..." or "the government is...." First time I saw that in a British newspaper I thought the grammar was wrong.

And just to make it more confusing, "the police are..." here in the US. Really, couldn't tell you the rule. I think the word "police" for a group noun is the exception. Generally, groups take the sinular here.

Also, "pissed off people" here in the US are mad, not drunk.

Definitely have at least one American as a beta.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Hi there,

There are differences between British English and American English.

colour vs. color.
grey vs. gray.

And then to get into regional differences in the US adds to the confusion. Dad called it pop. I called it soda. Dad called it crek. I called it a creek. So on and so on.

You mentioned your character is from Ohio. I Googled for Ohio newspapers and found a link listing newspapers. It might help you to see the American spelling and it might even include regional dialect.

Link: http://www.usnpl.com/ohnews.php

My advice, for what it's worth, is to find an American Beta. If possible, one from Ohio. Explain the situation so they may be of better help to you.

I wish you luck.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
American beta reader is a necessity. Fanny has a different meaning depending where you are, so does pants, and fags of course, Americans never 'take the piss' nor the Mickey. Car park vs parking lot, flat vs apartment...The US doesn't have zebra crossings, lollipop men, roundabouts (well, we have like 2, and we don't know how to use them), VAT, pasties, 6th form, etc. we also don't have a lot of grammatical constructions and phrases regularly used in British English.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

I think the spelling is more determined by the market than by the setting or characters, and is a separate issue from the vocab. I don't think it really matters, though, as long as you're consistent. But in the historical romances I read, for example, the vast majority of which are set in Britain, American spellings are used. (Just searched through four books by four different authors to confirm.)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, we never "go on holiday". We either "take a vacation" or "go on vacation". "Holiday" is used strictly for Christmas, Easter, New Year's, etc.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
[...] roundabouts (well, we have like 2, and we don't know how to use them)[...]

Speak for yourself... ;)

On topic: If a Brit writes an American I would expect US vocabulary, but not necessarily spelling. That's just translation convention. So "colour" would be fine, but "torch" for "flashlight" would not, at least not in the American character's dialog.

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Also, where is your story taking place? If your story is taking place in Europe, or Great Britain, or even in Asia, then if your MC is American/USA bred and raised, be aware that we all "act" different from Europeans (even today, that's true, though not as much as it was forty years ago). We walk different, we sit different, we eat different. Our mannerisms are quite different from those of Europeans, and because of that, the natives can sorta sense that we're Americans, though the natives might not be able to explicitly express exactly why.

And so, if you have an MC that is American, and the setting is in Europe, then you might like to entertain inserting a bit here and there that might reflect the MC's Americanisms.

Just a thought. :)