Novel Outline

Ralph

I have received an invitation to submit 50 pages of my novel and and an outline of the entire novel. I have found recommendations for non-fiction outlines but none for novels. I don't know if I should submit a content outline or a headings outline. Are there any links to where I my find info or does anyone know the right approach? Thanks, Ralph

Last edited:

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't heard of this

Usually the request for novels (as opposed to nonfiction) is for a synopsis rather than outline. That's usually a present-tense description of the full story, 500-1000 words. I wouldn't really know how to write an "outline" of a novel.

For more than you want to hear about synopses, visit Miss Snarks website and look in the period of late Dec-early Jan. She analyses (and tromps on) 99 synopses submitted by various writers.

I find it hard to imagine the agent really means 'outline,' but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will correct me.

Best of luck.

Ralph

novel outline.

Thanks for your quick reply. I had the same impression as you. I think that I will phone the agent to verify. R.

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
An outline means a chapter-by-chapter (or section by section) breakdown of the novel. Some agents find them helpful when reading only a partial that is understood to be a much larger (as in significantly larger) work (say, a long historical epic, for example). It helps them to determine the overall structure of the novel and how well (in their estimation) they think it will hold together.

knikkki

per "The Writers Market"

Outline = A summary of a book's contents in 5-15 double-spaced pages; often in the form of chapter headings with a descriptive sentence or two under each one to show the scope of the book.

I wrote one for my 94,000 work novel. It was about 10 pages, I think and GRUELLING! Good luck. I was a bit challenged by this, but my book takes place in a one-month period of time, so I did a day by day thing, vs. a chapter by chapter.

Ralph

Woops! I already sent the 50 pages and asked for clarification of what kind of outline the agent wanted,i.e., 'heading' or 'content'. I see now that I should have waited and written an outline. I appreciate the attention from you all.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's good to ask. Sometimes an agent use "outline" and "synopsis" interchangeably. Sometimes a synopsis means "1 page brief summary" and an outline is a "detailed 3-5 page." But you can't be sure unless they give you specifics.

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
An outline of a novel is basically called a Chapter-by-Chapter Outline

In fact it isn't an outline in the A, B, C, 1. 2. 3. a, b, c -- type of outline you learned in school.

A Chapter-by-Chapter Outline -- Novel Outline -- or -- Chapter-by-Chapter Synopsis is actually the following:

A short 1 - 2 paragraph synopsis of each chapter - with the beginning, any key plots, character introductions and the chapter ending spelled out.

Each chapter goes on a separate page, double spaced.

A good example of one is in the book:

Formatting & Submitting your Manuscript -- 2nd edition

by Cynthia Laufenberg and the Editors of Writer's Digest Books

Page #134 with examples on pages 136-137

The reason agents and/or editors ask for this is: they want to see if you can follow through with your plots and they want to see how the story evolves through the chapters.