on vs in

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Can someone point me in the right direction and tell me what are some appropriate examples of the usage of on vs in. Sometimes I confuse them a bit, due to mainly using them for online communication. It's easy to get lazy online specially when you post on sites like twitter.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
They're (mostly, not always) prepositions (used in prepositional phrases (on the table, in the hall, etc), which will help you a little more. However, I also think regional difference comes into play with these two. Some Americans will use 'in' some 'on' when it comes to 'place', but UK and US differences come in too.

I'm in Hampton Street (UK)
I'm on 5th Street (US)

So when and where to use them will come down to your region, as well as grammar books. But there are going to be differences, which doesn't help too much, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with Fallen.

'In' usually relates to being 'inside' or surrounded/enveloped by something be it a house, a room, a bath, trouble, mood, fog, heaven, confusion, a crowd, a gang, etc..

'On' just doesn't work or sound right in such situations and the simplest way to solve this issue may be to ask which option makes the most sense to you.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old, old joke observing English-speaking viewers watched programs "on" TV, and German speakers watched shows "in" the TV set.

So it goes that when the German was asked what he thought of sex on television, he replied, "It is okay as long as they don't fall off."

Hardly funny these days when TVs are waffer-thin and hung on walls like a framed painting.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that there's a regional aspect to it. I hadn't heard this construction until I was in my 30s, but there are pockets of the population that say "on line" as opposed to "in line", as in: "We waited on line for two hours." I would say, "We waited IN line for two hours."

There are some hard-line grammatical uses for on vs. in but there are idiomatic uses also. If you have specific examples, we could help you out with those.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Thanks for the all the input I always wondered why sometimes I would come to a halt on a sentence when deciding between these two, and then I would use what I can only describe as common sense. Now I know why it was not very clear. I found this guide, hopefully it will be useful to others as well http://www.dailywritingtips.com/when-to-use-on-and-when-to-use-in/