Anyone know a Modern TV show featuring cars driving recklesly?

John342

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I guess I'm hopelessly dated here. In my recent WIP I have a line in a scene that goes:

Ron was just waving in the first police car, who was ripping through the park like an episode from Dukes of Hazard.

My wife (my harshest and most important beta reader) commented on the side "Who lately has seen Dukes of Hazard?"

I guess she has a point. Can anyone give me a better (more current) example of crazy off road driving TV? Of course it would help if police cars are involved. My work is a contemporary romance and her point is that some readers might not get the visual.

I'm afraid I can't think of one. I don't watch that much TV I guess.

Thanks in advance,

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Not a TV show, but there is Fast and the Furious...and all of it's many sequels.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Let's see...TV shows with cars being driven recklessly...

Oh, right: all of them. :)

But seriously, on the reality side, there's Fast and Loud on Discovery.

Supernatural sometimes has some fun car stuff. Archer (note that it's a cartoon) is—in many, many ways—the ironic descendant of The Dukes of Hazard, and it has the most absurd car chases. It's also brilliant, but a cartoon might not be that helpful.

Kewii'a suggestion of Fast and Furious is probably your best bet, though. The franchise is very successful, widely known, and has all the proper baggage for you to make your point.

While we're here, you may want to look at your sentence.

Ron was just waving in the first police car, who was ripping through the park like an episode from Dukes of Hazard.

It's grammatically all over the place. I think you want "which," instead of "who," but it's really hard to tell. Your wording also suggests that episodes of Dukes of Hazard rip through parks.

I hope that helps, and good luck. :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Watch TV for about an hour one random evening. You'll come up with loads. OK, 24 has finished now, but even so, that was full of car chases.

Word of advice, though - I don't think this line works at all. Obviously it depends on contex, but I'd still cut it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The question is, would your POV character reference Dukes of Hazard? I think enough people would get the reference, but would your character make it?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The question is, would your POV character reference Dukes of Hazard?
Bingo.

This is the only real concern. Everybody knows the Dukes of Hazard, the issue is the speaker/moderator's persona.

Jeff

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Top Gear (The British one, not that lousy rip off over here) where they have celebrities drive a car on a course for time.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
There's a phrase over here that might work for you: Driving it like you stole it.

John342

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I will stick with Dukes of Hazzard