PDA

View Full Version : Female doctors in 1940s Poland?

Fenika
10-15-2012, 04:06 AM
I am writing a story with a fellow AWer, and we have a female character who could become a nurse around the time of (or right after) the Warsaw Uprising (difficulties of living or getting away from bombed out Warsaw aside).

Would it be reasonable to have her be a doctor? This is a historic fantasy, so even if it is rare, she'd likely pursue it if allowed. Where would she study-- during the war or right after-- since the Nazis were targeting intellectuals?

Cheers :)

frimble3
10-15-2012, 05:29 AM
I am writing a story with a fellow AWer, and we have a female character who could become a nurse around the time of (or right after) the Warsaw Uprising (difficulties of living or getting away from bombed out Warsaw aside).

Would it be reasonable to have her be a doctor? This is a historic fantasy, so even if it is rare, she'd likely pursue it if allowed. Where would she study-- during the war or right after-- since the Nazis were targeting intellectuals?

Cheers :)
Targetting intellectuals? The Nazis shut down all education above elementary schools in Poland, on the grounds that 'those people' were only going to be serfs for the Germans, so why waste time, and cause trouble, by educating them. There was a great effort made at underground education, teachers and professors holding classes wherever they could, and at risk of detection and punishment. An impressive network was set up. I would assume some medical classes were held, but as the equipment from the universities had been transferred to German hands, I don't know if it went beyond lectures.

GeorgeK
10-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Remember Marie Curie?
Yes, you can have a female doctor in Poland at the time of WW2

Fenika
10-16-2012, 03:42 AM
I think Marie Curie had an honorary medical degree as she was a physicist, but she did leave Poland for awhile, so our MC could always do the same.

Good point about the equipment, Frimble. We'll have to figure out just how scarce certain medical / first aid supplies were for the Poles...