PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait?

Richard Paolinelli
10-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Sent some queries and got one response asking for five pages which I e-mailed in about a week ago. So how long should I wait until I follow-up?

A few more weeks, a couple of months?

Anyone have a set rule for this?

mayqueen
10-13-2012, 04:09 AM
It doesn't really sound like a partial (which you nudge at 3 months), so I don't think there's a need to follow-up. Your mileage on this advice may vary, but you generally shouldn't nudge on a query (which I would consider 5 pages part of).

Little Ming
10-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Unless the guidelines specifically state not it, it is standard to send along your first five pages in the body of your email along with the query. So in that sense, I would treat this as part of the initial submission.

Check the agent's guidelines. Some say they respond to all submissions within a certain time period. Some say you can nudge after a certain time. Some say no responds means no, so don't bother nudging.

Richard Paolinelli
10-13-2012, 04:20 AM
It doesn't really sound like a partial (which you nudge at 3 months), so I don't think there's a need to follow-up. Your mileage on this advice may vary, but you generally shouldn't nudge on a query (which I would consider 5 pages part of).

I guess I am just paranoid that my reply got dumped into a spam folder by mistake or just disappeared in the great blue nowhere and the agent is thinking I blew her off.

retlaw
10-13-2012, 04:20 AM
I think you just wait, period. If they don't get back to you, that's your answer. I know it sucks, but - there it is. I wouldn't ping them about this for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

Richard Paolinelli
10-13-2012, 05:03 AM
I think you just wait, period. If they don't get back to you, that's your answer. I know it sucks, but - there it is. I wouldn't ping them about this for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

Looks like I picked the wrong month to quit drinking.

http://moviesandimprov.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/airplane-lloyd-bridges-sniff-glue.jpg

lol, thanks for the advice.