Nobel Peace Prize awarded to European Union

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Nobel Peace Prize awarded to European Union

The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of work in advancing peace in Europe.
The committee said the EU had helped to transform Europe "from a continent of war to a continent of peace".
The award comes as the EU faces the biggest crisis of its history, with recession and social unrest rocking many of its member states.

'Biggest peacemaker'
Mr Jagland highlighted the EU's work in sealing the reconciliation between France and Germany in the decades after World War II...

European Council President Herman Van Rompuy said the award was recognition for the work of "the biggest peacemaker in history".

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't swap this era in Europe for any other. Peace has been the greatest achievement of the EU.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of work in advancing peace in Europe
I guess the EU get credit for the 4 decades before it existed. Personally, I'd say NATO played a larger role.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. Considering how many wars there were between the Euro nations before WW2 and how few afterwards.

Fingers crossed it stays that way....

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
EU is the biggest Euopean blessing of the past half century. Still kinda strange it's not a person. Does that happen often?

It happens. Medecines sans frontieres got it a few years back. So it can go to organisations as well.

But it's funny. The EU is such a bug-bear for people like UKIP, which is a borderline xenophobic party in the UK. Also, Norway's own narrative is in part a resistance to the EU, so it's funny that politicians that are so enmeshed in that narrative give this price to the EU.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
It happens. Medecines sans frontieres got it a few years back. So it can go to organisations as well.

But it's funny. The EU is such a bug-bear for people like UKIP, which is a borderline xenophobic party in the UK. Also, Norway's own narrative is in part a resistance to the EU, so it's funny that politicians that are so enmeshed in that narrative give this price to the EU.

The anti-EU sentiment has gotten big in Holland too, these past few years. People were tired of bashing Muslims, so they turned to the next best thing; every other foreigner who they percieve to be leeching on our money.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
At the least the EU deserves it more than Obama did. :S
(Still can't believe he got it.)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
At the least the EU deserves it more than Obama did. :S
(Still can't believe he got it.)

Obama is Mahatma Gandhi compared with fellow winner Henry 'Stone Age' Kissinger.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I actually rather like the fact that the EU has managed to keep Europe secure and comfortable, at least so far as war goes. I've read the history books...Europe was kind of a charnal house for a horrifyingly long time.

Then again, so was the rest of the world...

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I actually rather like the fact that the EU has managed to keep Europe secure and comfortable, at least so far as war goes. ...
Sure, if the EU was the actual driver of the security and not merely the result of it.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Sure, if the EU was the actual driver of the security and not merely the result of it.

So, the fact that France and Germany entered into a union in 1957 counted for nothing toward European peace, and that they stayed in a union despite the ressentement counted for nothing either?

Ah. I get it. It was all Reagan decades later that talked down the wall?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
:rant:
EU should not receive credit for peace in Europe. It is NATO, and all the draftees like myself who served with the regulars in Europe and were combat ready to head east if the Red Baloon went up. We are the ones who prevented war.

The EU is economic. NATO operated in former Yugoslavia in the 1990s, not the EU.

Another wasted prize. Give it to the women under Sharia who speak out on peril of their lives where the real war against women is,

Rant over.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
So, the fact that France and Germany entered into a union in 1957 counted for nothing toward European peace, and that they stayed in a union despite the ressentement counted for nothing either?

Ah. I get it. It was all Reagan decades later that talked down the wall?
France and West Germany. Don't forget the Eastern Bloc countries that were kept at bay by a bunch of NATO missles and armies, not European good will. Without the fall of Eastern Europe, the EU as it is today would not be possible. And, yes, Reagan (and every US President back to Truman) did play a role.

ETA: But then the Nobel Prize Committee would never give it to war-mongering NATO. War, after all, never leads to peace. Only good intentions do. The Peace Prize is becoming more of a joke every year.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
*shrugs*

Eh, don't let the American hubris get in the way of thinking clearly folks. A cold war is not peace. This is about peace actually settling between Germany and France and the nations that would later come to agree to form the union.