PDA

View Full Version : Book Trailer

KyraDune
10-11-2012, 07:08 PM
If I wanted to make a book trailer on youtube, could I just browse the internet and use any pictures I see that I like or will I get in trouble for that?

Stacia Kane
10-11-2012, 07:18 PM
You will get in trouble for that. :) Sorry.

Images are copyrighted just like writing is. You'll want to ask the artist/photographer for permission, or look at sites that offer free or low-cost images (there are quite a few). I can't recall offhand the site I used, but I know others will be able to provide links.

Cyia
10-11-2012, 07:19 PM
You can't use copyrighted photos without the permission of the artist or photographer. Sometimes they'll say "sure, so long as you attribute the photo," but some will require payment.

You can find royalty free clipart on some clipart sites. Deviant art even has a clipart tag, pre-permissioned, with instructions on how you can use the pieces.

Stacia Kane
10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Also, of course, check out our Art & Design forum here at AW; lots of artists there!

KyraDune
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
So what about like scenes from movies? Cause I've seen book trailers with those in them.

Toothpaste
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Again those are technically not allowed. And if this is for a product you are selling, and not just a for fun fan trailer I think it is even less recommended. You are using someone else's property in order to make money, and that's not right.

ETA: like with still photos there are sites where you can purchase stock film footage.

KyraDune
10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Ok. Thanks for the help.

Cyia
10-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Movies are both copyrighted and trademarked, so no.

Amarie
10-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Some of the sites that sell still photos also sell video clips. I purchased both for my book trailers. Just be aware, the video clips are far more expensive than the stills. You can also buy sound clips too, both music and sound effects.

Susan Littlefield
10-11-2012, 11:36 PM
What about gathering a few friends and making your own? If you have a video camera, or one on your phone or digital camera, you could easily do it. It could be fun!

Juganhuy
10-18-2012, 10:41 PM
My youtube trailer had nothing to do with my book.

I flimed my dog trying to eat a jalapeno, then tacked on my books cover art at the beggining and end with some verbage telling people where to get the book.

Ghetto, I know :(

HeavilyMedicated
10-18-2012, 10:57 PM
What about gathering a few friends and making your own? If you have a video camera, or one on your phone or digital camera, you could easily do it. It could be fun!

I like that idea. :)

Torgo
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
If I wanted to make a book trailer on youtube, could I just browse the internet and use any pictures I see that I like or will I get in trouble for that?

Well, if you use pics in the public domain or under certain kinds of licenses you can. The minimum a Creative Commons license will ask you to do is to credit the person who took the picture. Here (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/) are some typical CC licenses, and there's a search engine there too. Pictures taken a very long time ago will probably be in the public domain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources), but you can't assume that, and if there's any doubt that they're still in copyright, don't use them.

Using recent Hollywood movie clips certainly puts you in the wrong, and may cause you to fall foul of certain kinds of copyright enforcement software - you upload a video, a computer spots that it includes protected IP, and your video is taken down.

CrastersBabies
10-19-2012, 12:15 AM
go to google / images (here if it doesn't show up on your google: http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search

go to advanced search.
scroll down a bit and choose, "usage rights" and select the one that applies to you. Might be "free to use, even commercially (or free to modify as well).

Be careful of FLICKR images and photos. Sometimes those come up as free to use or share but the author does indeed have them copyrighted on their FLICKR site.

Be aware, though, that you won't find a whole lot. It might spark something, though.

Also, thanks to others who posted a variety of other places to find free art/clipart. That was actually really helpful for me. :)