PDA

View Full Version : Just saw an Atlas Shrugged (part II) commercial

LOG
10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I kid you not, it had the phrase "Will it influence the election?" in it.

I do not even.
I think they overestimate their filmmaking skills.
And it's sad that a film, even one like this, is being marketed in relationship to our elections. Pushing an agenda much?

Filigree
10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Considering the first part got widely panned, it will only play to believers and the ironically-challenged.

Manuel Royal
10-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Since the first movie flopped, hasn't the market clearly spoken?

So strange that the entire cast has changed from the first movie. Weird artistic decision, or did they just not sign the actors to a three-movie contract? Will Part 3 (if it happens) have a third cast?

CrastersBabies
10-15-2012, 04:34 AM
Ugh. I had a friend email me:

Friend, "Hey, have you heard of Atlas Shrugged?"

Me, "Yeah."

Friend, "Am I missing something here? I have some friends who are completely obsessed with the book and they made me watch the movie and bought me a copy of the book. They call me every other day to see if I have READ IT. I hated the movie. It's the suckiest suckfest of suck I've ever experienced. I'd rather watch Gigli than that POS again. And the book makes me want to die. WTF?"

I then gave her a nice list of "neutral" responses to give her friend on why she didn't get into it.

Just not my thing.
I like a different style of writing (or movies).

Etc.

Now, all of this said, there are movies out there geared toward democrats and such (in hopes of inspiring them pre-election). It's just sad that the best the Republican party can come up with is Atlas Shrugged.

I also remember when I had new pals suggest "Fireproof," as a movie. My husband and I saw Kirk Cameron, heard, "Who is YOUR LORD and savior?" two times and shut the damn thing off. Kind of reminds me of the Atlas Shrugged fanatics. No offense to religious folks, but, the movie was one step away from shackling me to a bed and making me watch cult-like conversion propaganda.

"It blows your mind!"

No, it just blows.

Xelebes
10-15-2012, 07:04 AM
*writes notes for the next suggestion box at the Turkey Shoot. . .*

LOG
10-15-2012, 09:55 AM
*writes notes for the next suggestion box at the Turkey Shoot. . .*
Turkey Shoot?

Paperback Writer
10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Can someone explain to me the whole Atlas Shrugged thing? I read it when I was younger and it just left me feeling bad about myself. Honestly I wish I never had read it.

Xelebes
10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Turkey Shoot?

A local variation of MST3K at the Citadel Theatre in town. This month it is Waterworld.

DeleyanLee
10-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I saw the commercial and was confused with the big II on it. Completely missed the fact that a first one had even been released. Talked to several friends and coworkers and they all missed it too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

DreamWeaver
10-16-2012, 03:58 AM
+1. Saw the commercial but had no idea a first part had ever been released. Liked the book when I was (much) younger and stupid, i.e., sophomore in high school. Got over it pretty quickly, thank heavens :D.

Filigree
10-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Most of us read it young, are too naive to grasp the irony, then 'get' it and grow out of it to a saner worldview. Beware the ones who don't.

Diana Hignutt
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
I didn't see part I and I won't see part II, but one wonders...will part III be just the f-ing 300 page speech? Gads!!!

Manuel Royal
10-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I didn't see part I and I won't see part II, but one wonders...will part III be just the f-ing 300 page speech? Gads!!!Now, imagine that being read aloud by Ben Stein. (Stein's not an Objectivist; I just like to imagine him droning on and on.)

BenPanced
10-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Part I - $6,500,000 budget, $4,563,873 gross (IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/business))

Part II - $10,000,000 budget (estimated), $2,005,099 domestic b.o. as of 10/16/12 (Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=atlasshruggedpart2.htm))

J.S.F.
10-18-2012, 08:18 AM
I'll be the odd man out--again--and say that I like Ayn Rand's way of thinking and I read Atlas Shrugged as well as Anthem and We the Living and found them all very interesting.

Having said that, Part I of the movie simply sucked. Blew chunks. Poor direction, poorer acting, derivative screenplay...Ayn must be rolling in her grave. I can't honestly see Part II being any better...and will not watch it. Ever.