PDA

View Full Version : Publishing Internationally

SaraP
10-11-2012, 03:19 AM
This subject has come up a few times, so I figured I get a post with the links to the various threads on the subject (most recent first).

The fun of finding a publisher/agent in Finland (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254779)

Is it harder for people from another country to get an US agent? (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250886)

How hard is it for a Canadian to break into the American market? (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221149)

Publishing Internationally (author from Israel) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234538)

Questions re: writer's rights when dealing with international publishers (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221121)

Publishing authors from non-English speaking countries writing in English... ? (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216139)

Are there agents experienced with foreign writers in USA? (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202654)

Hope this helps. :)

dsoul700
03-01-2013, 02:59 AM
What I've come to realize is that most agents stick first to ones they know than ones they know less about.

Bo Balder
05-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Question about agents: I've just received an offer to publish ( no specifics yet, but the publisher usually just pays royalties) a novel of mine from an American small press.
Would it benefit me to get an agent at this stage?

waylander
05-28-2014, 10:41 PM
You could try, but agents aren't generally interested unless there is an advance and the prospect of decent royalties, which is only going to happen if the publisher has a distribution deal.

rchapman1
04-29-2015, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't think so Bo Balder - just make sure you have a lawyer a check the contract before you sign it and hang on to your e-book rights. Congratulations!

Vanayssa
01-23-2016, 08:27 PM
I am a Canadian but I haven't thought much about this before. I write my books as though I am an American simply because the U.S. has like 350,000,000 people or maybe more now and Canada is a large geographical country with a small number of people...about one tenth of that. So it seemed wiser to make my characters Americans. I write for a U.S. publisher, Solstice Publishing. BTW they always look for short stories to include in anthologies, like Valentine's Day, Hallowe'en, Christmas (the Christmas one includes all the different cultures ways of celebrating Christmas, and NY and whatever way others do it). Britain is a good place to get involved with too as they speak English and they have massive population same as the U.S. does. On the other hand I guess you could say the same about a lot of countries...not many have as small a population as Canada.

Albdantesque
04-01-2016, 09:48 PM
I am a Canadian but I haven't thought much about this before. I write my books as though I am an American simply because the U.S. has like 350,000,000 people or maybe more now and Canada is a large geographical country with a small number of people...about one tenth of that. So it seemed wiser to make my characters Americans. I write for a U.S. publisher, Solstice Publishing. BTW they always look for short stories to include in anthologies, like Valentine's Day, Hallowe'en, Christmas (the Christmas one includes all the different cultures ways of celebrating Christmas, and NY and whatever way others do it). Britain is a good place to get involved with too as they speak English and they have massive population same as the U.S. does. On the other hand I guess you could say the same about a lot of countries...not many have as small a population as Canada.

Population is a problem, and work ethics another one. I was best-seller for two years in a tiny country and as reward I received 500 euros only :), never able to say if those 500 came from the the few readers who made me best seller or from the publisher who has other standards from the publishers in my country. Anyway, I guess it was not worth the trouble to find out... and if there are good writers today they are not best-sellers (like me in that tiny nation :)

Gribba
07-03-2016, 02:51 PM
I love this, thank you for making this a sticky and summing up these questions/posts! So helpful!

Albdantesque
07-28-2016, 07:08 PM
A publisher in a tiny country wants to publish and distribute my translated novel in English. If we do that, can I still hope to find agents in UK and US, or will they not be content with the fact that my translated novel is already published in a tiny region of Europe?

Thanks!

Old Hack
07-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Which country does this tiny publisher want to publish your book in? If it's only going to be published in a tiny country with a small English-speaking population then it might not be a problem, but if the publisher wants world rights you'd not be able to find an agent to sell it to the English-speaking market once it was already published to that market.

And is this the translation you arranged for yourself? Because you've already said in another thread that the translation isn't very good, so I don't see why you want it out there for everyone to read.

SaraP
07-28-2016, 07:34 PM
My first thought is that you might lose First Rights that way, which is a big no-no for later trying to sell your novel to US/UK agents/publishers.

(ETA: The lovely Old Hack explained it way better and she knows her stuff.)

Albdantesque
07-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Which country does this tiny publisher want to publish your book in? If it's only going to be published in a tiny country with a small English-speaking population then it might not be a problem, but if the publisher wants world rights you'd not be able to find an agent to sell it to the English-speaking market once it was already published to that market.

And is this the translation you arranged for yourself? Because you've already said in another thread that the translation isn't very good, so I don't see why you want it out there for everyone to read.

I said I can't be sure about the quality. His English is better than mine, that's all that I can say.

This time, in fact, I need answers on publishing rights.

Albdantesque
07-28-2016, 08:03 PM
My first thought is that you might lose First Rights that way, which is a big no-no for later trying to sell your novel to US/UK agents/publishers.

In different parts of the world different policies on the publisher's/author's rights. In some countries book trade is so pauper that even publishers do not buy the books (but prefer to share cost and earnings with the author/translator). But, let me ask you just this: do books that bear side by side with the author's name imply that the author has the first rights on those?

Old Hack
07-28-2016, 09:14 PM
I said I can't be sure about the quality. His English is better than mine, that's all that I can say.

This time, in fact, I need answers on publishing rights.

I've given you a general answer with regard to the problems this might cause but no one is going to be able to tell you much more unless you explain who the publisher is, where they're based, and what rights they want from you. The more specific you can be, the more information we can give you.

In different parts of the world different policies on the publisher's/author's rights. In some countries book trade is so pauper that even publishers do not buy the books (but prefer to share cost and earnings with the author/translator). But, let me ask you just this: do books that bear side by side with the author's name imply that the author has the first rights on those?

No.

The copyright holder is usually the person who wrote the book. Who they then sell rights to is another issue entirely. And once those rights are sold, they are usually still the copyright holder.

Albdantesque
07-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Thank you again, Old Hack!

For the others who come to this thread, I found this article helpful.

http://publishingperspectives.com/2015/01/new-ways-publishing-translations/#.V5pC0TWo3ww

CoolWrites
05-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Hi all... I'm new to forums generally. So what's a Sticky? One that stays up for reference?

I'd like to ask an international sort of question, though it doesn't quite fit the remit this thread started with. Should I start a new thread?

Thanks for your patience,

CoolWrites