PDA

View Full Version : Beta Reader or Beta Reader swap (Fantasy with horror themes)

tlsclarke
10-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi

I have a novel out already, The Elemental Cloudy (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KSXQ04/), but as I am writing the second in the series I would like to put feelers out for beta readers for the next book.

If you accepted, I would be happy to email you a free copy of the first novel for your appraisal to see if you like the style and genre. Then, if you would like to Beta read that would be great. I worked alone on the first project, but I am sure that multiple eyes, opinions and advice would only help polish my work.

My skin is thick, and I believe the path to perfection comes without ego.

An exchange/swap of someone’s work is also an option and I will read just about any genre. There are only two types of books. Good books and bad books :)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bufty
10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I think you may be approaching this from the wrong angle, tlsclarke.

I'm sure it's not your intention but this looks more of a marketing exercise than an attempt to find a beta reader. Any flaws that pervade a manuscript will - and do - reveal themselves in the first few pages and these plus the genre are available to anyone who clicks on your profile or links.

The way your post is worded you will accept any Tom, Dick, or Harry as a beta reader. And beta readers usually come into the picture when the manuscript is finished and polished.

Can I suggest you concentrate on browsing this massive site and numorous Forums, and contribute so folk can get to know you, and vice-versa.

Check out the Share-Your Work Forum. It's easier to spot the flaws in someone else's work, and critiquing the work of others is an excellent way of learning how to find flaws in one's own work.

Once you have achieved 50 posts across the Board you will be able to open new threads in the Share-Your-Work Forum and submit work there for critique and comment.

Meantime, welcome and good luck re your venture into self-publishing.:welcome:

tlsclarke
10-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I can assure you that I am looking for beta readers for my next novel which is a WIP. The series is complex and has several characters that develop over time. By offering my novel up, I wanted a potential beta reader to get a feel and flavor of the my work, as I can imagine it would be necessary to read the first novel in order to gain an insight into continuity, character development and general plot.

Any "Tom, Dick and Harry" is exactly what I want, because that is what my potential audience will be. By getting a broad spectrum critique I get a further understanding of the market. Everyone, even "Tom, Dick and Harry", has something to say and something to add. It is up to me to disseminate in the end.

I'm not looking for sales. My novel is lost in the 'noise' of the kindle bookshelf. I knew that was going to happen from the beginning. My best marketing technique is to just keep writing more novels. Joining a forum like this is purely for interaction with other writers.

Thank you for your suggestions and I will be looking forward in contributing to the community on this massive site. Thank you for your welcome and best wishing regarding my ventures.

Bufty
10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Good luck.

You appear to have gone into kindle with your eyes open but I can't say I follow your reasoning when you say you are not looking for sales and you knew your first novel would be lost in the 'noise' of the kindle bookshelf yet you intend writing a series where it appears that in order to follow what's happening one must apparently read the first book prior to reading the second.

You seem to have discounted the trade publishing route and gone into the self-publishing arena knowing your book wouldn't achieve much in sales and I presume you were aware that Konrath and the very few who emulate his success are - by an extremely large margin - very much the minority and exception rather than the norm for self-publishing.

Karen Junker
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi, TLS -- Welcome!

I don't read horror (sorry) but your work sounds interesting -- I hope you find a beta reader soon!

Best of luck!

Foozle
10-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the forums, good sir ;)

I would just like to say that i'd be very interested in possibly beta-reading your book, and while this goes a little out of the boundaries i had set for myself in my beta-reading thread, I would offer to read your first book to get a feel for your writing to see if you fit what I am looking for.

tlsclarke
11-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Thank you!

That would be great. PM me your email and I will send you a copy.

southpacificvagabond
11-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Hey - I have beta read a few books, as a layman with an eye for grammer and spelling, and I would like to read yours. I'm not a big gore fan but I do love to be scared to death by a book (doesn't happen often.)