PDA

View Full Version : Kittens!

Anninyn
10-10-2012, 08:22 PM
We will probably be getting one or two kittens in November (enough time to unpack and get most of our furniture in so there's minimal disruption to the little darlings).

I was going to ask advice on KITTENS as last time I had a kitten I was three. But I do have the internet, so isntead I just want to run around a bit with my arms in the air and scream KITTENS KITTENS KITTENS

Sydneyd
10-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Awwww Kittens, kittens, kittens!!!!! I will join you with the arm flailing.

I remember when my cat was a kitten. She was so tiny she fit into the pocket of my robe. Sometimes when I am very nostalgic and a little tipsy I will try to shove her in the pocket, then she scratches me and I stop.

Charles Farley
10-10-2012, 08:28 PM

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w107/EdGein_2007/vampirecat_zpsfb05fa8d.jpg

veinglory
10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Awwww.
1) Get a lot of litter boxes
2) Take a lot of pictures

quickWit
10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
mmm, delicious kittens...

Anninyn
10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Of course to all those things!

I've always had cats - Olive was a rescue, and my parents current cat Zeus was dumped in our back garden at winter.

But as up till now I've rented, I wasn't able to have cats and there was a cat-shaped hole in my life for all of those seven years. Jos agreed that when we moved and were settled we could get some, and luckily for us some are available and are on hold for us till they're ready to be adopted - just nine days before my birthday.

If all goes well, we'll have two little black and white kitties in the house for when I turn 27.

jjdebenedictis
10-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I want a kitten.

I want this one, specifically.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w107/EdGein_2007/vampirecat_zpsfb05fa8d.jpg

Kats
10-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Kittens! I adopted two kittens last year and while they love all their toys, they realllly love the Cat Catcher by Da Bird (http://www.amazon.com/Da-Bird-Catcher-Feather-Toys/dp/B000LPOUNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349894466&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+catcher). They never get tired of playing with it.

BenPanced
10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
teh skeeriest kittayn in teh wurld:

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/47198/47198_original.gif

Anninyn
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
We're going to visit them on monday, just to make sure we all like each other. One is apparently very confident, the other shyer, so they want us to take both, which we're more than happy with.

I spent a happy half hour on the pets at home website last night favouriting all the things I might want to buy for them.

When we get them (fully weaned and trained to use a litter tray) they'll be 9 weeks old, so still all fuzzy, squeaky and clumsy.

Here is a picture of them, their mother and their sibling - the grey one, which has already been claimed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/kytten/kittens.jpg

Sorry, that's huge. Let me resize it.

alleycat
10-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Are you familiar with Cat Claws? It's an online store for cat stuff. The only reason I mention it is because they have the best scratching pads I've found (with organic catnip). My cat goes crazy over the things.

Anninyn
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm not. Are they based in the UK? I have no wish to pay international shipping.

alleycat
10-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Uh, probably not. I didn't think about that. Sorry.

Anninyn
10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
It's alright! I'm sure there's something similar in the UK. I may have to browse. I mainly went for pets at home because - and this is a sad, pathetic admission - when we were renting and not allowed to have pets, we'd go to pets at home once a month to wander around and look at the hamsters and the rabbits and the rats and the fish. It stopped my 'pet need' getting too over the top drastic.

alleycat
10-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah, pet stores usually have scratching pads, but the ones from CC are the best ones I've found.

heyjude
10-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Aw! Kitten cuteness! Congratulations. :)

Someone get Stlight--she has great kitten stories. That will, uh, scare anyone away from getting a kitten. Never mind...

Anninyn
10-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah, pet stores usually have scratching pads, but the ones from CC are the best ones I've found.

I'll see if I can track something similar. I believe in drugging cats with catnip, because it's hilarious.

jjdebenedictis
10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
When we get them (fully weaned and trained to use a litter tray) they'll be 9 weeks old, so still all fuzzy, squeaky and clumsy.D'aw, now that brought back memories. My friend got her kittens at 9 weeks, and yes, they were these fuzzy, fairy-boned creatures that, in an explosion of curiosity, nosed feverishly into absolutely everything and then passed out in exhaustion an hour later (in our laps.) It was great.

Anninyn
10-11-2012, 08:24 PM
D'aw, now that brought back memories. My friend got her kittens at 9 weeks, and yes, they were these fuzzy, fairy-boned creatures that, in an explosion of curiosity, nosed feverishly into absolutely everything and then passed out in exhaustion an hour later (in our laps.) It was great.

I can't wait. I was so young when Olive arrived as a kitten that I don't really remember that, and Zeus was six months when we found him, so physically at least almost an adult.

We're hoping that them being young will mean they adjust faster and suffer less from the disruption.

jjdebenedictis
10-12-2012, 03:54 AM
We're hoping that them being young will mean they adjust faster and suffer less from the disruption.It also means you have a better chance of training them. Want to walk them in a harness someday? Start them on it young. Want bath-time to not be a nightmare? Start them on it young. Want to clip their claws without it being a two-person ordeal requiring a thick towel? Start them on it young.

BeatrixKiddo
10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Awe...kitties! All of our cats were strays, every single one. They always "found" us somehow. Our last cat, who was the one that was with us the longest, found my mom in a parking lot one night. She was still pretty little at the time. We had her 18 years before she passed.

Congrats on the new soon to be "fam".

Anninyn
10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
It also means you have a better chance of training them. Want to walk them in a harness someday? Start them on it young. Want bath-time to not be a nightmare? Start them on it young. Want to clip their claws without it being a two-person ordeal requiring a thick towel? Start them on it young.

We were never able to 'train' Olive. She remained a borderline psychotic dictator from when we got her to when she died and we loved her for it. Dad did succesfully make her into a shoulder kitten when she was small enough to do so, though - she stopped when she was an adult because she'd fall off, but when she was a kitten she used to wrap herself around his neck and go to the shop with him.

In fact, she startled the girl working there the first time, because she was sleeping around dads neck, the girl asked 'Is that a fur scarf?' and Olive lifted up her head and went 'Mrrow?'.

Awe...kitties! All of our cats were strays, every single one. They always "found" us somehow. Our last cat, who was the one that was with us the longest, found my mom in a parking lot one night. She was still pretty little at the time. We had her 18 years before she passed.

Congrats on the new soon to be "fam".

Olive was a rescue, Zeus was abandoned. This is a friends cat having kittens - they need to be gone by the 10th of november because the friends baby is due on the 30th. She doesn't want to have to give them to a rescue centre, so we said we'd take them

Corussa
10-13-2012, 12:50 AM
I'll see if I can track something similar. I believe in drugging cats with catnip, because it's hilarious.

If you've been haunting Pets at Home, they should have a good one there (in the 'Willow' range as I recall), which one of our cats, Isis, has been single-mindedly working to destroy for some time now. And we got a good cat tower off Amazon for our two to clamber on, in the absence of much outdoor space. Plus various kitty toys (I try to restrain myself now when at P@H, honest).

Of course, they're just as happy with the cardboard boxes we sometimes have, and pieces of string. Sigh...

Hope the kittens settle in well - I haven't had kittens for SO long, I'm really quite jealous. Though I'd never say that out loud - especially right now, since Isis is on the back half of my office chair and I'm perched on the front. Apparently this is How Things Should Be.

zahra
10-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Consider keeping the little blighters indoors. Really. US folk do it much more than Brits, but it's honestly worth it, especially if you live in a traffic-heavy or fox-heavy area or one with lots of outdoor cats and strays. Indoorsies live so much longer on average.

I'm also a fan of raw meat instead of commercial food, or in addition to it, but don't do pork as it has parasites if uncooked.

Keep an eye on things like the washing machine; I've known more than one kitten come to grief in them.:cry:They're so small, they get everywhere, so kitten-proof your place and be aware of dangers to them.

But the biggest thing, as everyone says, is to instil the habits you want early on.

You're going to have such fun! Wheeee!

Anninyn
10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Olive was an outdoorsy cat and lived to 18 - Zeus is outdoorsy too. They both seem to have good road sense and Zeus at least is not much of a roamer. But there is a main road close by, so we'll think about it. The house already has a catflap - the previous owner had two cats and I've seen plenty of happy, healthy, well-fed kitties around the area which suggests good things to me. Still, it'll be a month or two before they start going out. In my experience you can't keep cats inside when they want to go out. We once tried when Olive was sick and in the 30 seconds the door was open when I left for school she bolted and then stayed out for four days. Mind you, she was undisputed queen of where we lived and had a territory stretching a good half mile.

But we will definitely consider it if the area seems unsafe or if they seem happy to be indoor cats. Some cats are more wide-roaming and adventurous than others.

Snowstorm
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Are you familiar with Cat Claws? It's an online store for cat stuff.

*looks up Cat Claws online*

Oh, cool stuff! *bookmarks site*

Now I need a cat.

Anninyn
10-15-2012, 06:29 PM
We're off to meet them today. I will take my phone so I can at least get a couple of phone-cam pictures.

Anninyn
10-15-2012, 11:24 PM
O, they're so cute! And little! And cute!

Both black and white. One is affectionate and brave with an odd face - very tilted eyes and a very snub nose so she looks a little bit like a pug. The other is quiet and weird and very pretty. I got some phone-camera shots of snub-face and her grey sibling who we aren't taking. I'll try and get them up, but they aren't very good.

Their verdict seems to be good. They lets us pet them and fuss over them without freaking out and they even purred a bit while we were near them, so we decided we'll take them. In about three to four weeks they'll be ours.

BarkingPup
10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Definitely check out catforum.com. They have a lot of good notes and suggestions on taking care of kittens.

*ahem* D'aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww I remember when my two were kittens.

It was horrible.

Kittens will drive you absolutely crazy. They will not leave you alone. They will rip your skin to pieces "playing". They will miss the litter box. They will attack your face at 3 am and be gone before you can blearily open your eyes. They will drop food everywhere and find it months later. They will not-so-stealthily steal fruit loops out of your cereal bowl. They will decide you are nothing more than a stepstool and take flying leaps onto your back.

But... uh... enjoy your kittens.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Anninyn
10-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I know, kittens are arseholes. But I put up with my beloved husband for a decade, I can put up with six months of kittenish dickery. All our fragiles will be safely locked away.

And thanks for the forum recs!

BeatrixKiddo
10-16-2012, 01:12 AM
We need "evidence" that these little buggers actually exist you know. I haven't reached my daily quota of cute yet. ;)

Anninyn
10-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Sadly the pictures I got are really fuzzy. There's only one goodish one, of snub nose with my husbands hand just behind her. I'll post it any way.

Anninyn
10-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Here. I'm afraid it's a very blurry photo. I didn't want to use the flash and she kept moving. That pinkish blob behind her is my husband stroking her head with one finger. This is snub nose.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/kytten/fuzzykitten.jpg
We couldn't get a good picture of pretty face because she spent a lot of our visit crawling up underneath the throw on the sofa. She's the weird one.

BunnyMaz
10-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Aaaah cute! Love them at that age. Pure chaos. If you want to be their bestest most favourite person in the world, set up a hammock. We used to sling one from the curtain rail in our last place (bay window, was convenient) and ours practically lived in it.

Slept in it, played in it, ninja attacked our scalps from it. Also means when you're wrestling with them you can stick a stealth hand underneath to tickle their bum. Drives them batty.

Also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPFekH005c

BarkingPup
10-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Yup, I wouldn't take those 2 am arm-gnawing sessions away for the world.

I think half the fun of having kittens is seeing them grow up from arsholes to... fatter arseholes. Uh... adorable killing machines to... hm, nope... this isn't working.

They're soooooooo cute. And they only get bigger as they get older so there's moar to lurv and smush and cuddle and snuggle and- I agree we need more pictures. Have you tried the "magnify" button. it's a button specifically for taking pictures of close-up objects (I have no idea what it's really called). I use mine for taking flower pictures.

Anninyn
10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
It was just a camera phone. When we find the real camera and we visit again MOAR PICCIES.

In a couple of weeks, we're going to drop round a carrier and a blanket, so that they get used to it. Hopefully, that way, they won't have the adittional panic of 'strange smells!' on top of 'Ahhh we're in a box and being taken away!'

We're thinking of names right now. Soemthing literary.

I am so excited for kitten arseholeness. SO EXCITE.

alleycat
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
More pictures!

Anninyn
10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Can't! All the other pictures are blurs of fluff.

I promise, when we get them in the house in a few short weeks, there will be SO MANY pcitures I'll have to start a new thread.

BarkingPup
10-16-2012, 07:11 PM
My camera phone has the button, too. but I has Blackberry, not a normal phone.

I would hiiiiiiighly suggest Feliway. It's a distilled hormone that cats produce when they scent mark things (the head gland, specifically) and it calms them down makes them think "this is mine, I'm home." You can buy it in sprays or diffuser.... I dunno where you live but in Canada you can't transport it over the border (apparently it has the potential to be used nefariously on humans. Which is lies but, eh....) so only Vet offices sell it. And, damn, it's expensive. I refused to purchase the diffuser because it was ridiculous. Instead, I bought the bottle. One goes a long way. it can also help the kittens acclimate to their new environment.

Once you have them home I would also suggest Rescue Remedy. It's an herbal flower extract that you add to their water. Calms them down. DO NOT use it on those "ever-flowing" things and change the water often... the smell...

Hm, there was something else that's supposed to calm kitties down... Another supplement I believe. Eh, it's on CatForum.

Anninyn
10-16-2012, 07:14 PM
They sell feliway at pet stores here, but it's really expensive. 30-40, sometimes.

I use rescue remedy for myself sometimes, so I will definitely have some on hand for the kitties.

BunnyMaz
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
You can avoid the expense of feliway by just getting some chamomile or some thyme. Both have calming effects on cats. I've heard differing opinions on valerian - some say it relieves stress, others say it acts as a stimulant like catnip.

Since you've left the carry case with the kittens to acclimatise them, what are the chances you could leave a couple of other things in it, like a cushion, blanket and a couple of toys, that you could then spread about the room they're introduced to when you take them home?

I was lucky with mine - our boy, Looshkin, is much more delicate emotionally, and after a few minutes did start to cry. He was then immediately pounced upon by his sister, and was so distracted by her he completely forgot what he was scared about. Although possibly the number of times he hit his head on the underside of the futon while running under it helped, there. O_o

Anninyn
10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, we're certainly leaving a blanket there, maybe a couple of toys? We'lll be picking them up on the 9th or 10th and every day we're a little closer I get all giddy.

alleycat
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
How far are you having to transport the kitties?

Anninyn
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Too far to walk, so we'll borrow my mums van. Only 10/20 minutes in the van, but 45+ walking.

alleycat
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
I think the idea that kittens will be traumatized or overly frightened by the trip home is a little overdone. When I've taken kitties home they mostly just want to get out of the carrier or pet carrier box.

The last time I got a kitten from the shelter (my current cat) they asked me if I wanted them to put the kitten in the box so she wouldn't think of me as a big meanie. I told them no, that I was planning for us to spend the next 15 or 20 years together and we might as well get used to each other now. She was perfectly fine when I got her home (except for sleeping on my head that night).

Anninyn
10-17-2012, 02:55 PM
It's more that I don't want to have a 45 minute walk through some roughish areas of town carrying kittens. Jos is on the van insurance, so we may as well grab it.

alleycat
10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
I was just thinking that buying something to keep the kittens calm might not really be needed if the trip is no longer than 15 minutes.

Anninyn
10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Ah, I see. No, we've talked and won't be buying anything specific. Leaving the carrier over there so they're used to it is the furthest we'll go.

Kittens are pretty adaptable creatures. The most distressed I've ever seen a cat over moving, was Olive when she was about 10 or 12, so fairly set in her ways, and we moved her 15 miles from the country to the city. She yowled the whole trip and started pooing in the bath in the new place. She adjusted in a few weeks, but as a young cat she did the same trip in the other direction with no problems.

When she first came to us as a kitten she was super adaptable. She hid behind the sofa for a few hours, we ignored her, she came out and all was well.

alleycat
10-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I think letting them be for the most part when they arrive is the best idea. They might explore a little, hide a little; or they might want to stay close.

Anninyn
10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
We'll let them come to us in their own time. We may show them where the litter box(es) and food are kept, but beyond that...

Oh!And put all our fragile things in a padded box far away from them until they're a bit more grown up!

Anninyn
10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Last night we bought some small packs of good quality food. We want to test some foods out on them and see what they prefer before we by in bulk. We also bought a small toy.

In the pet store the other night we saw a cheap and nice toy - basically a box with holes in it, and jingly balls inside. Corrugated cardboard infused with catnip on top. We'll probably get it.

Jos wants to wait to get more expensive things till we know what they'll like. There's no point buying an expensive cat tower if they don't like climbing stuff.

And we've decided on names. They will be Anne and Bonney, after the pirate.

Three weeks till they come home.

Komnena
10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I would definitely show them the litter boxes and put them in the boxes.

Cliff Face
10-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Make sure to show them where you keep the coffee.

Oh wait. Wrong species of house guest... Never mind.

BeatrixKiddo
10-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Cliff... :D

I like the name choices. Those are cute names Ann. We still need more "proof" of their existence in the near future though.

heyjude
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
There's no point buying an expensive cat tower if they don't like climbing stuff.

All cats like climbing stuff, don't they? Even my old arthritic cat climbs up into his tower to nap sometimes still.

HJW
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Zooplus is really good for all things cat related. They sell some really good quality food as well. My cat loves Animonda Carny.

www.zooplus.co.uk (http://www.zooplus.co.uk)

Kittens are hard work (looks at shredded wallpaper) but so, so worth it!

Anninyn
10-21-2012, 05:53 PM
All cats like climbing stuff, don't they? Even my old arthritic cat climbs up into his tower to nap sometimes still.

I've known some cats that would look at a tower and ignore it. But maybe I've jsut known very difficult cats.

BarkingPup
10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Different cats like different kinds of towers/posts. One of my cats goes maaaad for corrugated cardboard. Anything she can sit on and rip into (which, unfortunately, translates to eating paper and cardboard). She is not very good at judging distances and tends to be very tentative. My other cat loves sisal and lounging on high things. She feels no fear and has violently launched herself at cat trees before (since my biggest one is barely held together she's knocked it over several times).

So my house has a large, cheap (barely held together) cat tree. Several corrugated cardboard thingies (rabbit loves 'em too). And one of these (http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3826-Multi-Level-Cat-Climber/dp/B001362AFS) and one of these (http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3832-Ultimate-Scratching-Post/dp/B000634MH8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1). Some cats enjoy bare wood, others slightly raised, carpet, etc. It's basically trial and error.

Anninyn
10-27-2012, 02:32 AM
More evidence of Kittens!

Better pictures this time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/kytten/kittens2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/kytten/kittens3.jpg

They've grown so much in just two weeks. In two more, they'll be in our house being kittens at us.

Aaaagh, they're huge, sorry about that! I resized them as small before I put them in, I swear, and I can't seem to get them smaller :/

BeatrixKiddo
10-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Awwwwww....wook at dat face!

Little furry bits of heaven.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now.

jjdebenedictis
10-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Aaaagh, they're huge, sorry about that! I resized them as small before I put them in, I swear, and I can't seem to get them smaller :/You need to change the number of pixels per square inch (dpi) as well as the physical dimensions.

Start by changing the dpi to 72, then look at the photos, then resize their heights and widths as desired.