How many publishers do you submit to at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseJ

Registered
Reaction score
This question is for thoses without agents. Once you decide which publishers you want to submit to, how many do you do at a time? Do you just send to a few at a time and as responses (rejects) come in, send more out? Do you send to all at once?

This is the first time I am submitting a ms and I sent just to the top 5 on my list to start. I'm planning on waiting a few months before sending it off to the rest. Just wondering what everyone else does.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I'm not sure what others do, but I send five at a time and give it six weeks. If I get a rejection, I throw a new one into the rotation to replace the rejection. If the six weeks is up and I haven't heard anything, I assume its a no-go and do the same.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
So long as none of the publishers you sub to expect an exclusive, you could go with as many as you like. Five at a time is a good number, though I might go with as few as three.

I'd probably wait at least three months between sets of submissions. Hell, I've had short stories out for two years and then gotten replies. ;) And the big trade publishers who accept unagented subs? You can easily wait a year or two before hearing from them, by their own admissions.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
This question is for thoses without agents. Once you decide which publishers you want to submit to, how many do you do at a time? Do you just send to a few at a time and as responses (rejects) come in, send more out? Do you send to all at once?

This is the first time I am submitting a ms and I sent just to the top 5 on my list to start. I'm planning on waiting a few months before sending it off to the rest. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Many publishers don't accept unagented submissions. Of those that do, a good percentage may require exclusive submissions. So you'd have to submit to one at a time. And they make take months to respond.

I have to ask -- why are you going this route instead of looking for an agent?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Many publishers don't accept unagented submissions. Of those that do, a good percentage may require exclusive submissions. So you'd have to submit to one at a time. And they make take months to respond.

A good many publishers do accept unsolicited queries.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Many publishers have closed doors, but almost none of those doors are locked.

RoseJ

Registered
Reaction score

I wrote a chldren's picture book and it's almost impossible to get an agent, especially if it's your first book. There are quiet a few publishers that accept unagented submissions for children's books.

I know that some only accept exclusives and they are last on my list to submit. I do state in my cover letters that it's a simultaneous sub.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a chldren's picture book and it's almost impossible to get an agent, especially if it's your first book. There are quiet a few publishers that accept unagented submissions for children's books.

I know that some only accept exclusives and they are last on my list to submit. I do state in my cover letters that it's a simultaneous sub.

OK, yeah -- picture books are a special case.

Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.