PDA

View Full Version : What was the first story you ever wrote about?

lhuds21
10-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Mine was, when I was seven, called The Crack in the Ceiling, and was a rip off of one my Mum wrote called The Hole in the Wall, even down to the character names. Thankfully, I've grown out of that habit now.

Anninyn
10-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Oh, goodness. I've been writing for such a long time. But I recently found a copy of a story I wrote in school called 'The Princess and The Lion'. I guess I must have been five, or so?

Some of my themes are already apparent at such a young age. Physically strong and capable female characters who handle life on their own terms, dangerous beasts and a quest.

This either means I had a very strong idea about wanted to write at a young age OR that I have not evolved as a writer since the age of five. You decide!

Kerosene
10-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Something about people, titled after chess pieces, fighting a war with mechs, with a splash of romance and "saving the princess" ending. There were win brothers, "test-tube" babies, raised to be opponents in this game.

I think I killed it around 50 pages, and started on a different story.

Haggis
10-09-2012, 03:14 AM
High school. There was a doctor, a hayloft and a strategically placed upturned pitchfork. That's about all I remember, except the story was pretty horrible.

ArachnePhobia
10-09-2012, 03:22 AM
I cannot remember how old I was, but I crayon-wrote and illustrated a story about a puppy detective who went around solving crimes and having adventures, then had grandmother help me sew the pages together down the middle so it would look like a "real book."

Namatu
10-09-2012, 03:58 AM
"No Snow on Christmas," typed in black and red ink on a typewriter as I sat on the floor in the living room. I don't remember how old I was, but it wasn't very.

KateSmash
10-09-2012, 04:16 AM
I honestly can't remember the very first. The earliest I can remember was one I wrote in the 1st grade where my friends and I were magical battle princesses who took down the evil villain Dark Lord guy who was totes in love with me and my magical battle skills.

Don't know if it had a title. I was never very good with them and ignore them until they become necessary.

Filigree
10-09-2012, 04:20 AM
They never got recorded or written down, but apparently I was telling fantasy and adventure stories to anyone who would listen by the time I was three.

The first one *I* remember writing down? I can't actually answer as to age or details on an open forum, I'm afraid. ;)

Shoestring
10-09-2012, 04:36 AM
My first story was one I wrote for a creative writing class when I was...I dunno, 13? It was about the invention of the parachute.

There was a poor peasant who fancied the kingdom's princess. every time she visited his small village, he would ask her to marry him. She eventually tired of his advances and offered him a deal. "Jump off a cliff."

For months he planned and plotted and tested ways in which he could do that, and still live to marry the one he loved. He invented the parachute, jumped off a cliff, and landed squarely in the town center at the feet of the princess. Impressed with his ingenuity and persistance, she proposed.

He declined. He had a new love, and it was skydiving. The end.
(Base jumping would be the proper term, I think.)

I'm still thinking of rewriting it. xD

Cyia
10-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Heh. I once found evidence of the adventures of Hawaiian Dave (or Bob, can't remember) who used all the junk in his messy room to build a rocket and fly it to the moon. It was illustrated in Crayola, no less.

Amarie
10-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Horses. I went through a long horse story phase because I was so profoundly affected by Black Beauty. :)

Eldritch
10-09-2012, 05:22 AM
In third grade I wrote a book about two Martians named Mary and Marvin. I used lined paper and illustrated it with a blue ink pen. I still have that book. I recently took a look at it, and it was really sucky, much worse than I remembered it being.

ccarver30
10-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I was probably in 6ht-7th grade. It was about a love triangle with high school kids were one loved chemistry so she blew something up. Clearly, I don't remember the details. lol

quickWit
10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I remember there were boobs. Gratuitous boobs.

bearilou
10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
My first story ever was a short about a kid throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store. I think I was 12.

That's about all I remember about it except that I embellished a true story I had witnessed and felt bad that I had to fudge some of the facts to make it a more interesting story. I thought I had done it wrong.

LJD
10-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't remember the stuff I wrote in grade 1.
Grade 2: The Heart that Got Lost

acockey
10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
wow taking me back!

I have always been a fantasy guy, I do not know why. The first story I wrote was in high school. It was about a warrior princess elf, her guiding fairy assistant, and her love interest a Mage called rain. An elf story with all the tropes you can have.

@quickwit don't all guys end up writing about gratuitous boobs at that age?

WeaselFire
10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
First grade, about what I wanted to do when I grew up. Actually, I showed pretty sophisticated language skills, throughout the whole paragraph. :)

Jeff

quickWit
10-09-2012, 06:08 PM
@quickwit don't all guys end up writing about gratuitous boobs at that age?

If they do then my therapist is a f*cking liar.

Phaeal
10-09-2012, 06:29 PM
First one I remember finishing was in fifth grade. It was about Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox.

I was heavily into Gone with the Wind at the time. ;)

Susan Littlefield
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Mine was, when I was seven, called The Crack in the Ceiling, and was a rip off of one my Mum wrote called The Hole in the Wall, even down to the character names. Thankfully, I've grown out of that habit now.

You plagiarized at seven?! :D

Susan Littlefield
10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
When I was a kid, I wrote many of my stories in poems. One was when I was about ten or eleven and was called something like "First Love". I met the boy of my dreams and it was first love!

My real first narrative story was when I was in high school and was about a boy who was blind but he could "see" things sighted people could not see. In fact, I think I still have that story with all my school stuff.

heza
10-09-2012, 07:32 PM
In grammar school, I started writing a story about a girl who gets into a chemistry lab accident at school and is sent back to King Arthur's court. Except.... we didn't have chemistry at my school, not even at high school level, so my knowledge of all things chemistry came from cartoons and mad-scientist movies. My setting lacked a certain level of accuracy.

DeleyanLee
10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Most of my really early stories were all fanfics of whatever cartoon, show or comic I was infatuated at the time. I never wrote any of them down, but those were my first stories.

The first story I did write down was for a 3rd grade contest. We were studying Tall Tales (aka Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, John Henry) and had to come up with one of our own. Mine was "Bone Cat", a cat who looked like a bone who would let dogs bury it. Then it would dig itself out and wait in a nearby tree to laugh at the dog when it came back for its bone.

I won the contest and my story was printed in the 3rd grade section of the school newsletter.

As a teen, I wrote down my fanfics, but my first original story was inspired by a character in a D&D game that I thought wasn't seeing its full potential. That started me on writing my own fiction.

jeffo20
10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm sure I wrote stuff before this, but the first time I really got fired up about writing was in sixth grade. My teacher posted a picture on the blackboard and told us to write a story about it. As I recall, it was a picture of a gloomy Victorian house. I started the story in school, took it home, and wrote something like an 11-page 'epic' that was part Scooby-doo, part Stephen King, and all horrible. The class loved it and I was totally hooked on writing.

I blogged about it (complete with excerpts) last year.

http://doubtingwriter.blogspot.com/2012/02/origins.html

lhuds21
10-10-2012, 12:34 AM
You plagiarized at seven?! :D

Yup! :D Haha. I think I watched an episode of some show called Arthur where a character plagiarized, and I thought that made it okay.

itsmary
10-10-2012, 04:27 AM
A magic orange that could tell the future. I think I was eight.

nkkingston
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I think I must have been five or six (so still excited by my own ability to arrange weird shapes into words), when I wrote an epic family saga story about a family of foxes. There were two foxes who had adventures and then had babies, then the babies grew up, met other foxes, had adventures and had babies, then those babies grew up, met other foxes, had adventures and had babies... I wrote it on the family computer, which had a black screen with green writing and a whole four programs you could use on it. I'm really not sure how much of the story was actually readable, but I know it must have been around that age because by the time I was seven I'd convinced myself that my new fox story was far superior to that babyish stuff.

Atlantis
10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
The earliest I could remember was a short story about some unicorns that lived on an island and could talk and were intelligent and a mean man came and kidnapped one and took it back to a city and I can remember day dreaming about it and picturing one of the horses screaming "Noooo!" It was two pages long lovingly typed out on my dad's work laptop.

When I was 12 I wrote my first novel called the Perfect Prince it was 184 pages long, written in coloured pen on blank paper and about 5 fairy sisters who lived in the clouds, rode dragons that ate fruit, and they each wore a magical ring I ripped off from Captain Planet. And the eldest was very originally named Tinkerbelle.

August Talok
10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
My grandmother found what I'm pretty sure was my first story, written at age 6. It was a little story about a little snail that got picked on by a bigger snail. The little snail set a trap for the bigger snail, caught him, then laughed while slowly slipping away.

She gave it to me a few years ago. My dog tore it apart while I was at work a few months ago... Grrrrr.

A.P.M.
10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Mine was a story I got totally excited about writing when I was around 11 or 12. It was heavily inspired by Redwall and was about a magical fox who put a curse on an evil wolf, rendering him impotent and weak. The wolf had to become good (?) and somehow break the curse so he could raise a family.

I still have about five handwritten pages of that somewhere in my desk at my parent's house.

Six Alaric
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
An alien named Vincent on the run from a psychopathic space king. I forget the king's name but he had a bodyguard named Helen who looked (I remember the illustrations better than the writing) suspiciously like the chatterer cenobite from Hellraiser. I was 10 when I wrote it.

skydragon
10-10-2012, 09:41 PM
I was really young - about 6 - and wrote a "book" about a frog.