Createspace Kindle Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Well I have all of the elements for the interior and cover prepared. But as I was looking ahead, the pricing threw me for a loop.

The paperback version is pretty straightforward with the royalty calculator, but the Kindle version reads like a bill to balance the federal budget.

Sakes... I 'think' I've figured out the distinction between the 35% and 70% thresholds, but where oh where does it allow you to actually designate a sales price?

Any guidance from previous pathfinders would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Chuck

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
It's super straightforward. The first page has all the file and metadata stuff (title, categories, etc) and then once all that's filled in you go to a full page of pricing, territories, etc stuff. So my guess is perhaps you didn't realize there's a page 2 at all and didn't click to continue?

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks J. Tanner. I'll hold the faith and trust that I just haven't hit that juncture of the road yet.

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with Amazon KDP bookshelf merrihiatt, so I guess the answer would be 'no.'

I merely log into createspace directly and work from there.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Hmm... guess I can't help you. I upload all my titles directly into Amazon KDP. Do you have an Amazon account? If the answer is yes, you may be able to access your Amazon KDP account with your Amazon account. That's what I've always done. Here's the link to Amazon KDP: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Today I finalized my interior and cover, took a deep breath, and clicked 'submit.'

I really expected to spend the day gnashing my teeth and pulling my hair but the process was really slick. Once I had the paperback details in place, Createspace made the segue to Amazon KDP. I still have to go through those steps but first I'm going to reward myself with something from the refrigerator and smoke a cigar on the front porch.

Dang! What a great feeling!

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... not as easy as I thought.

First, anyone have any experience with the Amazon KDP "Select" program? From what I can tell, it tags your book as a free kindle loaner for at least 90 days.

Yeah, I can see where that could help get exposure, but I'm worried about the "at least" part of it. Heck, most of my initial sales could be wiped out. Think I'm gonna pass on it unless anyone here can enlighten me - thanks.

Also, got caught by surprise when trying to upload my cover for kindle. The same cover that loaded so nicely for createspace was rejected by kindle. I'm thinking that I have to chop it back to just the front image and ditch the spine and back stuff. Again, any enlightenment? Thank you.

Respectfully,

Chuck

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Your Kindle cover should be the front cover only and has specific size requirements. I suggest you follow my link above and read the FAQ and other information on the Amazon KDP website.

You can read up about Select there, also.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, anyone have any experience with the Amazon KDP "Select" program? From what I can tell, it tags your book as a free kindle loaner for at least 90 days.

Yeah, I can see where that could help get exposure, but I'm worried about the "at least" part of it. Heck, most of my initial sales could be wiped out.
There are plenty of posts in the Kindle forums, but the basics are that KDP Select is an exclusive for 90 days and you have the option to extend that. In return for the exclusive, you get some benefits, such as being part of the lending program. Currently, Amazon Prime members can borrow one book per month from those available, either through KDP Select or other programs.

So, the "at least" is at your discretion as to whether it's extended. And borrowers are not normally going to result in sales if you don't participate, so you're not losing sales.

It's all your choice though as to whether it's worth it -- to you.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.