short story covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be clear... most American short story submissions do NOT require a cover letter, eg an explanation of the story, hook, intro to the author, etc like a novel does, correct? Of course, if the particular market asks for one, you send it. But if they are not clear on this matter, then it's best NOT to include one, right? The market I want to submit to is a bit nebulous on this matter. I'm inclined not to send a cover letter the way I would if it were a novel.

Is it amateurish to send just the story with SASE, but no cover letter (as long as contact info is inlcuded on title page)?

I also read that if you DO include a cover letter, you should NEVER state what exactly the work is about, unlike novel cover sheets where they expect it. Is this a reasonable assumption for cover letters, or lack thereof, in the USA?

I'm not talking about "title pages', but actual cover sheets.

Thnx

Last edited:

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
You should always provide a cover letter; it's polite. State name, address, contact details, BRIEF intro stating genre (if necessary) and length, and either your bio or an offer to forward one on request (latter particularly if you don't have one!).

Same goes with email submissions.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agree that a cover letter should always be sent--it may help your story get to the right editor and help them keep track of things. For a short story it need not be more than a few lines specifying the date, the market you are submitting to, the story title, length and genre and your contact details.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
As Mike said, it's polite. One time I didn't bother--it was a very short piece. The editor sent a nice note back on the first page of the ms. and I felt...lousy.

It's also a way of introducing yourself and your work. Keep it brief. If you have no credits, mention nothing.

Sign off with "Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you." Or some such courtesy.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Just to be clear.

A cover sheet is not a covering letter. And yes, a letter to the editor is a good way of getting your story read favourably.

Status
Not open for further replies.