PDA

View Full Version : Steel Magnolias Remake - All Black Cast - on Lifetime TV

Lavern08
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Loved the original version - A true classic!

This version was good too, but I don't understand why they cast Queen Latifah in that role. While she totally rocked in Chicago, and Secret Life of Bees, she wasn't convincing as a middle-aged wife and mom - Did anyone else notice how awkward and uncomfortable she appeared in the scene when she embraced her "husband?" http://charismaticcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

Also, the girl who played Shelby (Phylicia Rashaad's daughter) didn't do her character justice at all in my opinion. While she's gorgeous, her acting was flat and rather lifeless.

Jill Scott seemed to be the same character she played in Why Did I Get Married? - Same sweet and lovable, suffering-in-silence, victim role.

I thought the actress who played the "runaway" that Truvy hired did a good job, however.

Now,

Alfre Woodard and Phylicia Rashaad - Well, they completely stole the show!!! There's a reason they've been around a long time - Their acting chops are as sharp as evah. http://charismaticcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/wavetowel2.gif

Of course, I cried in the end, and watching this Lifetime production made me want to watch the original again.

All in all, I enjoyed it - Despite losing a little sleep while struggling to stay awake past 9:00 PM. http://charismaticcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

A.C. Thomas
10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I love the original too, and when I heard they were doing a re-make, I was excited but worried. There are some things that can't be re-created, and that move is one of them.

I enjoyed the re-make though. I loved seeing such a solid cast, but like you, I didn't think Queen Latifah fit that role. I would have rather seen Phylicia Rashad play that part.

And maybe because I'm a southerner, a black southerner at that, the accents irked me a bit. I know I have an accent, but jeez, tone it down a bit lol.

Jehhillenberg
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
And maybe because I'm a southerner, a black southerner at that, the accents irked me a bit. I know I have an accent, but jeez, tone it down a bit lol.

Yeah the accents sounded like they were trying hard for that typical southern belle tone.

I also loved the original movie; one of those films that made my eyes tear up a bit. Then I heard about this remake, or adaptation, and thought "huh?? & why??" I'll have to watch it fully through. Only caught it half way.

Lavern08
10-09-2012, 06:26 PM
...but like you, I didn't think Queen Latifah fit that role. I would have rather seen Phylicia Rashad play that part.

Yep, Phylicia or Alfre or even Angela Bassett would have nailed it as Shelby's mom.

While I like Queen Latifah, I think her acting skillz are just "average." :Shrug:

Kitty27
10-10-2012, 02:07 AM
I won't say a word about Queen Latifah!

I detest sap but I watched with my mother. Any time something like this comes on,I will always be there to support.

I'm a Black southerner,too.The accents were something else! Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard slayed as usual. I could watch them recite the phonebook.

A.C. Thomas
10-10-2012, 02:12 AM
I won't say a word about Queen Latifah!

I detest sap but I watched with my mother. Any time something like this comes on,I will always be there to support.

I'm a Black southerner,too.The accents were something else! Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard slayed as usual. I could watch them recite the phonebook.

Can I just say I love your avi? The greatest of all time no doubt.

Kitty27
10-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Can I just say I love your avi? The greatest of all time no doubt.

Why,yes you can!

I LUH Pac. :snoopy:

Cyia
10-10-2012, 04:17 AM
This version was good too, but I don't understand why they cast Queen Latifah in that role.

I want to see her cast as Ms. Hannigan in the Annie remake :D

Lavern08
10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I want to see her cast as Ms. Hannigan in the Annie remake :D

Yep - Now you're talking perfect casting! ;)

backslashbaby
10-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I didn't even know about this! I'll have to look it up to see if it comes on again. It sounds good.