Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hello folks,

I have somehow managed to talk myself into giving a 30-minute presentation at something described as a 'summit', on the subject of 'innovation', and have been invited to think about interesting new developments in publishing. So I have been trying to come up with stuff to talk about.

I have a good few ideas, but I would be very interested to know what you guys feel is 'innovative' in publishing at the moment, and what you think might be around the corner. I stick 'innovation' in scare quotes because I'm sometimes not entirely sure what it means. To me, I think innovation is opening up a new market or a new niche, but there may be more to it than that.

Any ideas, suggestions, arguments...? Things I'm definitely going to
discuss include fanfic, new genres, the return of the pulps, crowdfunding, and interactive storytelling. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts on this.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure it fits within the scope of your talk, but there are definitely innovations in the way authors interact with readers. Skype, in particular, is an incredible tool for children's and young adult authors to connect with classrooms and library groups.

I've spoken to groups from small towns who have never and will probably never have an author visit in person.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I'm not sure it fits within the scope of your talk, but there are definitely innovations in the way authors interact with readers. Skype, in particular, is an incredible tool for children's and young adult authors to connect with classrooms and library groups.

I've spoken to groups from small towns who have never and will probably never have an author visit in person.

I definitely need to talk about that. Authors interacting with their readers is something that the internet has scaled up a lot.

Deleted member 42

The last true innovation was the move to the codex from the scroll.

:D

I'd suggest in addition to the items you've mentioned, interactive story telling is morphing to shared reading, as the comments and glosses once restricted to the margins of manuscripts are via the net moving to real time interaction with the text, the author and other readers. Right now, we still have a base text as the "spine" of interaction, but increasingly readers can choose to make a marginal text--say fan fic--their spine and interact with it, each other, and the authors.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The last true innovation was the move to the codex from the scroll.

:D

I'd suggest in addition to the items you've mentioned, interactive story telling is morphing to shared reading, as the comments and glosses once restricted to the margins of manuscripts are via the net moving to real time interaction with the text, the author and other readers. Right now, we still have a base text as the "spine" of interaction, but increasingly readers can choose to make a marginal text--say fan fic--their spine and interact with it, each other, and the authors.

That's interesting. The community thing is something they very much want me to talk about. I think I should say something about 'social reading' platforms, but I'm not really sure that anyone uses them. (At least not in the way that the examples in that link suggest... Am I wrong?)

One of the threads I want to pull on a bit is that private reading - i.e. being able to buy and read books without having to interact with a bookseller or display a lurid cover in public - is a thing as well.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of what might be around the corner, I assume someone is working on a format that will let the reader switch back and forth between a text version and an audio version of a book, so that if you listened to a book in your car while driving, you could switch to the text version where you left off when you had time to read.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You could also mention how the new technology is making old forms/lengths viable again e.g. novellas and novelletes

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
In terms of what might be around the corner, I assume someone is working on a format that will let the reader switch back and forth between a text version and an audio version of a book, so that if you listened to a book in your car while driving, you could switch to the text version where you left off when you had time to read.

Someone's got to be, huh? The stumbling block will be some kind of tedious rights issue.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of "social reading," some reviewers do this, where they post what they think of each chapter as they read it, and their friends comment. As far as I can tell, it's mostly with young adult and romance readers. Many times, it's a way to find funny things to say about a book the reviewer really disliked, but I think it's been done for other books as well.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
You could also mention how the new technology is making old forms/lengths viable again e.g. novellas and novelletes

Yep, that's the bit of the talk I have tentatively called 'everything old is new again'. Serials, too.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
In terms of "social reading," some reviewers do this, where they post what they think of each chapter as they read it, and their friends comment. As far as I can tell, it's mostly with young adult and romance readers. Many times, it's a way to find funny things to say about a book the reviewer really disliked, but I think it's been done for other books as well.

Goodreads does this, right? You can post updates on how far you are through a book, what you think so far etc...? People do use that.

YA and romance is an interesting observation. I wonder why those genres are more social than others?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Goodreads does this, right? You can post updates on how far you are through a book, what you think so far etc...? People do use that.

YA and romance is an interesting observation. I wonder why those genres are more social than others?

I think ya and romance readers were among the first to embrace book blogging, so maybe their communities are big enough now to make it easier to find people to interact with.

Back to the audio/text post I made, I forgot to add that some ereaders do have a text to speech feature, but you get an unpleasant robotic voice.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk

The main one I know of is Mark Reads. He posted chapter by chapter reviews which started with Twilight. He's now expanded to have Mark Watches and Mark Plays (computer games). He's even self-published his collected reviews in ebook form. HUGE readership.

Deleted member 42

That's interesting. The community thing is something they very much want me to talk about. I think I should say something about 'social reading' platforms, but I'm not really sure that anyone uses them. (At least not in the way that the examples in that link suggest... Am I wrong?)

It's been used for a few years by geeks to essentially open source enhance and augment books on writing code, and it's used by scholars/academics to comment on texts.

The best practical examples are from Bob Stein's Social Book platform.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/01/nyu-professor-open-sources-utopia-by-sir-thomas-more/

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ook-fair-2011-toc-keynote-sets-bold-tone.html

One of the threads I want to pull on a bit is that private reading - i.e. being able to buy and read books without having to interact with a bookseller or display a lurid cover in public - is a thing as well.

I keep thinking about the change from monastics reading aloud communally from an exceedingly difficult to produce and expensive ms. that might be the only copy of a text, to reading silently to themselves in their cells, and comment /glossing on margins.

And the way Kindle books "share" notes and marked passages.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I have a good few ideas, but I would be very interested to know what you guys feel is 'innovative' in publishing at the moment, and what you think might be around the corner. I stick 'innovation' in scare quotes because I'm sometimes not entirely sure what it means.

Innovations in publishing:

-Petroglyphs chiseled on rocks
-Phonetic written languages
-Scriptoria: monks for hire to copy manuscripts; illumination extra
-Moveable type a la Gutenberg: described by some as civilization's greatest invention.
-High-speed presses (early 20th C) making cheap newspapers and books.
-Paperback novels (not everyone's idea of innovation)
-Audiobooks
-Online book sales (can we spell 'Amazon' here?)
-Electronic publishing and e-readers
-Downloading books directly into the brain (not yet widely available)

Status
Not open for further replies.