Welsh Fae

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for Fae that are specifically known to Wales for my newest WIP. I have found some such as the Gwragedd Annwn and Ceffyl-Dwr but most I am finding for that region are Irish and Scottish.

I want to stay true to the region but am coming up short on Welsh fairies. Do you suppose I could get away with using the Irish merrows? (I don't want to use the American mermaids or the Slavic Rusalka.) Or the Scottish Ghillie Dhu instead of the Greek Dryads?

I am going to have some cross over when my characters go Underhill where they will encounter Fae from all over the world, but when they are in the mortal realm, i want to stick as close as I can to what they might see in their country. I'm just not finding a lot of information on Welsh Fae.

Deleted member 42

You want the Twylleth Teg; see John Rhys Welsh and Manx Folklore:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/cfwm/index.htm

Also, look at the first four branches of the Mabinogi for Welsh native otherworld residents.

There are a number of Welsh underwater otherworld residents, and an entire lost civilization associated with Cantre'r Gwaelod.

Don't use Irish or Scots as Welsh denizens; even the names will give it away.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I found tons of great information that will help. I even went and ordered the book by John Rhys. Thanks again!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Gwyllion - evil mountain fairies of Wales. Female spirits who waylay and mislead travellers by night on mountain roads.

Gwragedd Annwn - beautiful and desirable lake maidens

Deleted member 42

The problem with the Sacred Texts Welsh section is that's it's all lumped together as equally legit, and it's not. They've got Iolo Morganwg right along with legitimate medieval texts, for instance, and much as I admire Lady Charlotte Guest, her translations are quite nice for Victorian children, but less than faithful to the texts.

Which, granted, novelists might not care about one way or the other, but at least you've been alerted :D

colettak

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a decent local university, you can check out their libraries. My sister was doing some research on this same subject and found a ton of material in the university library.

Status
Not open for further replies.