PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for an editor to work for free

David Allan Williams
10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Ok, so it might be for free.

I have a book I intend to publish in a way I have not seen done before, and I suppose it might pay us both with publicity.

If you are looking for some publicity and have done editing work before, I need your help, and in return I hope I can help you with your name (and mine) elevated to heights neither of us thought possible before we met.

I am calling this the One Love Project (http://writeromantically.blogspot.com/2012/10/one-love.html#!/2012/10/one-love.html) You can find all the information you need by clicking the One Love Project (http://writeromantically.blogspot.com/2012/10/one-love.html#!/2012/10/one-love.html) link.

Ari Meermans
10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
David, I'm moving your post over to Non Paying markets where it'll get more traction.

BenPanced
10-09-2012, 03:49 AM
http://www.goodsearch.com/search/web?keywords=online+novels

Good luck.

thothguard51
10-09-2012, 04:07 AM
David,

This is not the first time something like this has been done. I am not sure how successful any of them really are/were though.

As to finding an editor, you might be willing to work for free, but you are now asking another to work for free.

Be careful too of who you accept, if you get someone accepting your deal. Lots of wannabe editors out there with little or no experience and they can do your work more harm than good.

Good luck with this gimmick...

Fenika
10-09-2012, 04:13 AM
The best way to get a willing and motivated person invested in your work and working for free is to train yourself to do the job.

It's also quicker, easier, and will have far reaching benefits.

David Allan Williams
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
David,

This is not the first time something like this has been done

Be careful too of who you accept

Nick, Thanks for the subtle warnings. My publishers editors had the same warnings about the editor.
I have heard of something like this before on a community radio station, but the audience was small. Not sure if this has ever been tried on something that has a potential audience of 800 million. I know that the trick is to hook the audience with each publication (much like a soap opera) I am loathed to throw work like this away for nothing, it is afterall a book, and we all know how much hard work goes into one of those... I don't expect nothing will be made from the enterprise but I loath to ask someone to do work, promise payment, and then have nothing to give them if it fails. This is how a lot of smaller Indi publishers pay their editors - a percentage of the income from the book - I am only taking this to another publishing front.

I am not after an editor to reform my work, play with the plot or characters, or critique. I am dyslexic, it makes it impossible for me to construct a sentence correctly so even a new editor might work well for what I need. I don't expect it will be a lot of work, just corrections in my writing.

eternalised
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
I am dyslexic, it makes it impossible for me to construct a sentence correctly so even a new editor might work well for what I need. I don't expect it will be a lot of work, just corrections in my writing.This seems contradictory. If you say it's impossible for you to construct a sentence correctly, then it seems to me like your editor will have a lot of work. I think you're underestimating the amount of work that goes into editing a manuscript. It's not just reading through it and correcting typos.

*If somehow I do make money from this project the editor will be in for 2-5% on what I (the author) make. Anything under USD10,000 will be 2%, anything over USD10,000 will be 5% (this is their contract, my word of honour). But the editor will be assisting for publicity mainly so I will mention their name in every publicity push I make for the project. This includes advertising deriving from One Love project, the same 2-5% of the authors royalties should it be published ONLY. does not include any moneys made from my other existing or future works, or moneys made from international translations of One Love, or other media contracts for One Love.I find this a bit worrying. I found it on your website. This makes me wonder a few things:
1) Exactly how much money do you expect to get for this project, considering you're releasing it for free? I don't think your expectations are realistic. Not a lot of people make USD10,000 for a single book, especially not when they're releasing it for free first. I don't want to set you off or make you feel bad, but you'd probably be happier if you set down your goal to a more realistic one.
2) I think you're confusing things when you mention the editor would be assisting for publicity. An editor edits a work. They don't help with publicity - that's usually a publicist's job.
3) If your editor only gets 2% of anything you make under USD 10,000 and 5% of anything over USD 10,000, that doesn't seem like a very fair deal to me. I don't know the percentage editors typically earn with publishers, but I know that as a publicist, I made more. Considering you're leaving out any publisher in this deal, I'd offer a higher percentage to my editor.

Of course, these are just my thougths, but they may help you find an editor faster. Good luck on your search!

David Allan Williams
10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
1) Exactly how much money do you expect to get for this project, considering you're releasing it for free?

As you found on the blog site, I do not honestly EXPECT to make anything from this so my expectations are as low as they can get. As a publicist I would think you might appreciate this is a publicity stunt; in that it is all about the publicity it may spark.
It's a bit harsh to ask anyone that is a part of the project to expect nothing should the project actually do something completely unexpected like make serious ADVERTISING dollars as happens when something goes viral... also it protects our relationship, it sets boundaries for law suites further down the track but the offer of payment is there just to show I am willing to pay the editor should something come of it. No money will come from the book, as you pointed out again, it is free.

My comment about not being able to construct a sentence is obviously tongue in cheek. Yes I am dyslexic but none of what you read here is edited. Hmmm maybe that is why I was misunderstood on three counts.
2. The editor will be assisting for potential payment of publicity of their name.
3. Editors and Publicist (like everyone in life) always believe their efforts are worth more than they are offered for the work. I always hear this from my editors "The writer makes all the money". It's not true...

An author spends a lifetime developing a story through their life experiences (no-one else can live their life), anything up to five years writing it (any good writer could do), and all the heartache from all the rejections trying to find a publisher, one that is going to give the author a very small percentage of sales revenue. It's the authors heart and soul on the table, their reputation insulted at every rejection. No one likes to spend years working on something to be humiliated when presenting; even no reply from a publisher is an insult to years of heart work.

The editor sees the work only after all that has happened, and maybe spends a year with the writer editing and then dust's his or her hands from the work. The writer is then handed over to the publicist. Remember now the work is possibly already a few years old, and the writer has worked for nothing for that entire period. Now the publicist wants to say how hard he has worked for his few weeks on the project. But the writer is pushing forever more to keep the work moving, making money for all involved.

I understand everyone works hard. I am giving away two years of my work and a story I should probably publish... hmmm
Maybe the publicist has a point. If a publicist can't see the value in a publicity stunt maybe I am on the wrong track with this thing. That's what makes this such a great site.
Thanks for your comments Eternalised, I honestly agree with what you are saying in general, it is a big risk. It is, so far, all mine and I know that someone would have to be a student, bored, or new to the game to want to take this on. Sometimes RISK earns REWARDS.

veinglory
10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
What you are suggesting is a trade. I suggesting being as clear about what you will provide as what you want in return. E.g. hour for hour.

Parametric
10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
What you are suggesting is a trade. I suggesting being as clear about what you will provide as what you want in return. E.g. hour for hour.

I think he's suggesting that the editor work for exposure, ie that the only reward is that their name is attached to the project. So effectively they're working for nothing.

David Allan Williams
10-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I think he's suggesting that the editor work for exposure, ie that the only reward is that their name is attached to the project. So effectively they're working for nothing.

Wow. Some one that gets it:Hug2:. I was starting to wonder if I was actually writing in English. :)
Yes that's right, I'm looking for an editor to work for free. It's in the title of the thread. Or 'nothing' might work just as well.

Or it could be that they might use the exposure in the future with a resume that reads... editor for the famous One Love Project.

Ok, so you might need to be a visionary to stretch it that far, as for now it is for free;).

firedrake
10-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Editing is damned hard work.

It would be a rare, competent, editor who'd do the job for the vague possibility of publicity or the even vaguer prospect of payment.

Good luck.

Maryn
10-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Say 'amen,' somebody.

David, you're asking for an enormous amount of work in exchange for a bit of exposure to the people who will read a free novel on Facebook. Is this likely to generate more editing work for the volunteer editor? I don't see how.

I am not a professional editor, but a click showed me your writing will need a great deal of attention to render it grammatically correct, more to make it as good as the story can get. I honestly believe that while the story is your brainchild and the writing is your own, the editor may well put in just as much or more effort whipping it into shape. For free? I don't think so.

I'm sorry to speak so bluntly, but it's apparent from the professional editors who have replied that what you are able to offer does not tempt them at all.

Instead, it might be a wise course of action for you to save up for professional editing.

Maryn, not an editor at all, so no horse in this race

Old Hack
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
3. Editors and Publicist (like everyone in life) always believe their efforts are worth more than they are offered for the work.

You realise you've just directly insulted me, and the many AW members who are editors and publicists?

I've taken a look at your writing on your blog. It needs a great deal of work and is not yet ready for a professional edit. Mind you, if you insist on finding an editor who will work for you for free you're not going to find a professional editor, so I guess that balances out.

David Allan Williams
10-10-2012, 11:47 PM
You realise you've just directly insulted me, and the many AW members who are editors and publicists?

Sorry to all the editors and publicist, it was never my intention to insult, especially those that have not commented. Sincerely sorry if you have taken insult from me. However I stand by what I have said and if you take insult from one person you have never heard of commenting on your work without even knowing you or seeing your work then you have momentarily stepped into the writers life and had a taste of what most writers endure with everything they write. It's why we need editors, if nothing else to clear up the subjectiveness of a few written words.

Editors work damn hard, I know, I have worked with a few - my quotes were not made up. I am sure that a good publicist also is worth their weight in gold. I think BOTH should at least attempt to write a book, and publish and see where I am coming from with my comments on their worth. I know one of my editors is also published (many times) and he always says he prefers to edit other's works.

I admit I am not a great writer, in fact, not a writer at all. I am an author, I have many stories and struggle to get them down so others can understand, I need editors in my life, and with me they work harder than with others. Lets never forget, none of us are perfect. Even an editor would benefit from the work of an editor to whip their book into shape. I don't have the technical skills, I know that, fire those comments about my blog all you want... you would be stating the obvious to me, but then I see flaws in many published (edited) articles I read too!

Instead, it might be a wise course of action for you to save up for professional editing.

I think Maryn's correct, I need to hire an editor and publish rather than give it away. It was a wild idea that may or may not have had legs, but it was just an idea... that's what makes me an author. It was good to see the comments and the sentiments and unwritten insecurities behind them.

Thanks for your comments, all good advise and I have taken it all on board.:flag: Sincerely... thanks.

Old Hack
10-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Sorry to all the editors and publicist, it was never my intention to insult, especially those that have not commented. Sincerely sorry if you have taken insult from me. However I stand by what I have said and if you take insult from one person you have never heard of commenting on your work without even knowing you or seeing your work then you have momentarily stepped into the writers life and had a taste of what most writers endure with everything they write. It's why we need editors, if nothing else to clear up the subjectiveness of a few written words.

Not so momentarily: I've had near-on thirty books published now, so I know how this works from both sides of the fence.

Editors work damn hard, I know, I have worked with a few - my quotes were not made up. I am sure that a good publicist also is worth their weight in gold. I think BOTH should at least attempt to write a book, and publish and see where I am coming from with my comments on their worth. I know one of my editors is also published (many times) and he always says he prefers to edit other's works.So, you place great value on an editor's work. And yet you wrote this:

3. Editors and Publicist (like everyone in life) always believe their efforts are worth more than they are offered for the work.

You can't have it both ways.

And please don't lecture me on the value of a good editor. I know that value. I've done the work.

David Allan Williams
10-11-2012, 12:43 AM
So, you place great value on an editor's work. And yet you wrote this:
Editors and Publicist (like everyone in life) always believe their efforts are worth more than they are offered for the work.
You can't have it both ways.

Enlighten me. What is contradictory about those statements?

As a manager of a very large operation plant I can tell you that the guy who collects the garbage on the plant floor thinks he is worth more money, so does the guy who creates the garbage, and with the supervisor who watches them both and manager (me) who runs the whole show, we all think we are worth more money. The owner however has different views to us. Like the editors and publicist, the factory can not function without someone cleaning up the rubbish, but seriously anyone could do it for the same money, some might do it better than others but anyone could do it. Only one man had the vision to start the company though.

I think it's great for you that you have published over thirty titles, and are a super editor, and are on top of your pile, but remember you are the exception to most people that write. Check the statistics. Most people that write do it part time to other work. If the Steven King's, James Petterson's and Old Hack's were all we had to read it would be a bleak outlook for literature, great for you Steven and James but bad for those of us who love to read and dabble at writing.

Take a chill pill Old Hack, lighten up and don't take insult to words on a monitor unless they come from a qualified source and you have something to defend yourself against. I never intended to insult, if I did I think I could have done a better job at it.

AW Admin
10-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Take a chill pill Old Hack, lighten up and don't take insult to words on a monitor unless they come from a qualified source and you have something to defend yourself against. I never intended to insult, if I did I think I could have done a better job at it.

I suggest you step away from the keyboard and reconsider how you want to be perceived.

You're addressing someone who has more experience and expertise in publishing than you could hope to have, who is a fellow member, and a mod.

Oh, the hell with it. You want editing for free. Go find it somewhere else.

You're not welcome here.