Should I Warn Potential Readers About My Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my first bad review, a 2 star one. When I read the review, I wasn't shocked or confused over why the reader didn't like my book. She likes paranormal romances, and mine is far from being a romance. My book is a love-gone-bad with the vampire as the villain. Yes, I am aware that type is not very popular now, but my main concern is those who like romance vampire books would buy and read my book, and get shocked and disappointed. I see those who have put my book on their "to-read" list on Goodreads, and I really fear they won't like it.

Here is my blurb:

If you had the perfect boyfriend who suddenly reveals he's a vampire, and also wants to make you one or else...what would you do?

That is the dilemma college graduate Claire McCormick faces. Her life is brightened up by Daniel Bertrand in a whirlwind romance, who only turns out to be a bloodthirsty vampire. He also won't take no for an answer when he proposes for Claire to join him for eternity. She faces becoming evil herself or have evil done to her and her loved ones. The Dark Proposal explores Claire's nightmare and fears while she makes her decision. Along the way, she learns why exactly Daniel wants her to be vampire.

WARNING: contains graphic content and strong language

I thought I made it clear that my book is not lovey dovey with a female character saving the man who is either tortured or the alpha male, as popular these days. Maybe I really didn't?

I don't want to think I made a mistake releasing this type of book. It was something I had in mind and I thought the market was ripe for the evil vampire after so many loving, sensitive vampire books saturating the market. Maybe I was wrong? I also don't see how any vampire could be sweet and loving when their true nature is to kill. That's how I see them.

How can I really warn any potential reader about what my book is really about? I don't want them to believe they might've been misled, even though no one has said so yet.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
No. Your book blurb should be enough to give a reader/customer an idea on what your book is about.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
You can't. People will read your book expecting it to be something else, and they'll give it bad reviews because it wasn't what they were expecting. Trying to "warn" people so only the "right" readers will read it is not going to work. Just make your description as clear as possible.

Incidentally, that description would make me think it's a paranormal romance too. Sure, you mention Daniel being "evil," but that reads as code for "tortured, brooding bad boy." You still talk about a "whirlwind romance" and imply that the book will focus on why Daniel is the way he is (i.e., making him sympathetic). It doesn't make me think it is like Dracula (in which Dracula is a Victorian-coded sexual threat, but at no point is it implied that he's sexy or romantic or that him getting together with Mina would be a happy ending, even if many of the film adaptations have portrayed it that way).

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, that description would make me think it's a paranormal romance too. Sure, you mention Daniel being "evil," but that reads as code for "tortured, brooding bad boy." You still talk about a "whirlwind romance" and imply that the book will focus on why Daniel is the way he is (i.e., making him sympathetic). It doesn't make me think it is like Dracula (in which Dracula is a Victorian-coded sexual threat, but at no point is it implied that he's sexy or romantic or that him getting together with Mina would be a happy ending, even if many of the film adaptations have portrayed it that way).

I do think I should change the words to my blurb in order to make it clear on what my book is about. I thought the words "evil" and "nightmare" would be enough, and I didn't think they would be misinterpreted. Maybe I should drop the words "whirlwind romance" or put in something like "love goes wrong" or along those lines?

Thanks for the advice!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You did include "Romance" in the title that sparks the idea in the reader. "Love goes wrong" might be a little too strong, brainstorm for a while, you'll come up with something.

However, (I think I have the correct review), I don't see how they expected romance, when they simply didn't like the elements of the story.

If I have the wrong review, correct me. But I just think you're overreacting. Some readers are touchy and sensitive, and one bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch.

And no, I will not link to the review for sensitivity sake. It's on goodreads.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
You did include "Romance" in the title that sparks the idea in the reader. "Love goes wrong" might be a little too strong, brainstorm for a while, you'll come up with something.

However, (I think I have the correct review), I don't see how they expected romance, when they simply didn't like the elements of the story.

If I have the wrong review, correct me. But I just think you're overreacting. Some readers are touchy and sensitive, and one bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch.

I might be overreacting, but when I saw what those who marked my book as "to-read" like to read, I got a little concerned.

I'll do some brainstorming and try come up with something.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

Uh, yeah. That reviewer didn't like your story. Maybe she was expecting it to be a fluffy smexxy romance, maybe not, but you can't somehow warn away readers who will give you bad reviews.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I hope I'm not coming across as someone who thinks everyone would like my book. I believe I am aware not everyone will like it. I think I am just wondering if I didn't market my book well.

Maybe I am overreacting and being overly concerned. Yeah, I tend to do that sometimes. I feel kind of silly right now.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I might be overreacting, but when I saw what those who marked my book as "to-read" like to read, I got a little concerned.

I'll do some brainstorming and try come up with something.

Take a deep breath, exhale.

Some people use the "to-read" section and piles in books that they might or might not read. They'll come back to your book and question if they wish to read it. Depending on what they see, they'll decide from there. It's not a definitive "yes", but more like a maybe.

So to that, yes, a clear blurb will help.

But it doesn't mean that they will absolutely hate it. From your other reviews I've read, the readers enjoy your story.

You need to expect bad ones, but don't dwell within them. At least the review wasn't entirely constructive, just "I don't like this" -- which sounds like they expected something else.

Uh, yeah. That reviewer didn't like your story. Maybe she was expecting it to be a fluffy smexxy romance, maybe not, but you can't somehow warn away readers who will give you bad reviews.

I think that one just didn't read the blurb at all.

Maybe they rushed in for the cover. :tongue It is a nice cover, btw.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Take a deep breath, exhale.

Some people use the "to-read" section and piles in books that they might or might not read. They'll come back to your book and question if they wish to read it. Depending on what they see, they'll decide from there. It's not a definitive "yes", but more like a maybe.

So to that, yes, a clear blurb will help.

But it doesn't mean that they will absolutely hate it. From your other reviews I've read, the readers enjoy your story.

You need to expect bad ones, but don't dwell within them. At least the review wasn't entirely constructive, just "I don't like this" -- which sounds like they expected something else.

Yeah, I admit I overreacted to this, and I'm feeling embarrassed right now. Gosh, this is really awkward.

Maybe they rushed in for the cover. :tongue It is a nice cover, btw.

Thank you! :)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Reading reviews can be a double-edged sword. It's a rush to read a good review and it's a knife in your gut when you read a poor one. Best advice I've seen around AW is not to read them. I tend to check in on reviews about once a month, just to see what people thought of my books. It's so easy to get sucked into writing for an audience. I have to watch that. Whenever I end up doing that, the book suffers immensely.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Pearl, I do think your blurb may confuse PNR impulse buyers. Even after giving it a close read, it's giving me the impression that your novel is PNR. Less focus on the romance and more focus on the conflict would help clear that up.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a case of Worst Yellow Square Ever.

i.e. - You're being criticized for failing at something you weren't even trying to do.

i.e. - It's one bad review and it's basically the reviewer getting pouty 'cause they want everything to be the thing they like and have become accustomed to seeing.

i.e. - You really don't need to apologise for writing your own book.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That blurb and cover could be a romance. (e.g. the reason she has to be a vampire could be that they are mystical soul mates). Only the fact it is not electronically shelved as romance rules it out and many people would not notice that. IMHO the blurb could position the vampire as a villain a tad more. Stalker villains and stalker heroes are not that far apart, sadly.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks leahzero and veinglory for your inputs. I am concerned that the blurb will seem misleading to some potential readers. Perhaps I should leave out the entire part where Claire meets Daniel? Forget about the romance, dating and "brightened up" part. Should I just get right to the part about how she faces evil and everything else?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

That blurb and cover could be a romance. (e.g. the reason she has to be a vampire could be that they are mystical soul mates). Only the fact it is not electronically shelved as romance rules it out and many people would not notice that. IMHO the blurb could position the vampire as a villain a tad more. Stalker villains and stalker heroes are not that far apart, sadly.

Yeah, 'perfect boyfriend' and 'whirlwind romance' with a vampire does suggest PNR, in my mind, at least. "He also won't take no for an answer when he proposes for Claire to join him for eternity" is pretty standard stalkery boyfriend crap.
As Amadan said upthread, talking about his 'reasons' makes it seem as though once we know his reasons we might be okay with his behaviour.

On the other hand, it's only one review.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
True, its only one, but just to be careful - and since so many here are pointing out my blurb's flaws - I've rewritten it a bit. Here goes:

If your boyfriend suddenly reveals he's a vampire, and also wants to make you one or else...what would you do?

That is the dilemma college graduate Claire McCormick faces. Her life is turned upside down when her boyfriend Daniel Bertrand reveals that he is a bloodthirsty vampire. He also won't take no for an answer when he tells Claire he wants her to be his companion. She faces becoming an evil being herself or have her and her loved ones suffer from her refusal. The Dark Proposal explores Claire's nightmare and fears while she makes her decision. Along the way, she learns the sinister reason why exactly Daniel wants her to be vampire.

Let me know if this works better.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
True, its only one, but just to be careful - and since so many here are pointing out my blurb's flaws - I've rewritten it a bit. Here goes:

If your boyfriend suddenly reveals he's a vampire, and also wants to make you one or else...what would you do?

That is the dilemma college graduate Claire McCormick faces. Her life is turned upside down when her boyfriend Daniel Bertrand reveals that he is a bloodthirsty vampire. He also won't take no for an answer when he tells Claire he wants her to be his companion. She faces becoming an evil being herself or have her and her loved ones suffer from her refusal. The Dark Proposal explores Claire's nightmare and fears while she makes her decision. Along the way, she learns the sinister reason why exactly Daniel wants her to be vampire.

Let me know if this works better.

Nope. Still reads "Stalkery bad boy vampires are soooo sexy!" to me.

Really, just let it go. Stop obsessing over one bad review. I mean, you also have a 4-star review, so evidently that reader didn't feel misled by your blurb.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'll stop.

I'm really not obsessing over one review. I'm not losing sleep over it, I just tend to over analyze things to death. This is my first book and I want everything to go right with it, right down to the blurb.

But I'll let it go now.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Your first line isn't doing you any favours, as it's a standard paranormal romance question. Do you want to become a vampire when you might lose control and kill someone? Sure you do, because you'll be the super special snowflake who doesn't lose control and it's all rainbows and kittens.

A more horrific hook might be something like: Claire thinks Daniel is the perfect boyfriend, until she discovers he tortures and kills women in his basement. You can word it better than that, but I think you need to hit people with some horror from the first line.

However, don't rush into changing it. You need to take some time over a new blurb, run it through the query SYW forum (tell people it's a book blurb and what you're aiming for) and so forth. I think you should consider a change, but a knee-jerk reaction won't help anything.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Sounds like a case of Worst Yellow Square Ever.

i.e. - You're being criticized for failing at something you weren't even trying to do.

i.e. - It's one bad review and it's basically the reviewer getting pouty 'cause they want everything to be the thing they like and have become accustomed to seeing.

i.e. - You really don't need to apologise for writing your own book.

That was a great blog post and hit it square on.

HAAAAA...square...yellow...

...guess you have to read the blog post to get it. :/

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Your first line isn't doing you any favours, as it's a standard paranormal romance question. Do you want to become a vampire when you might lose control and kill someone? Sure you do, because you'll be the super special snowflake who doesn't lose control and it's all rainbows and kittens.

A more horrific hook might be something like: Claire thinks Daniel is the perfect boyfriend, until she discovers he tortures and kills women in his basement. You can word it better than that, but I think you need to hit people with some horror from the first line.

However, don't rush into changing it. You need to take some time over a new blurb, run it through the query SYW forum (tell people it's a book blurb and what you're aiming for) and so forth. I think you should consider a change, but a knee-jerk reaction won't help anything.

Excellent advice IMHO. And I hate all reviews that criticize a work for not being something it is not trying to be--or the reverse, for that matter.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Heads up - I started a thread in SYW about making a new blurb. Its under the Other Works subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.