PDA

View Full Version : Free Kindle self-published books

elindsen
10-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Hey guys!

I'm new to self-publishing. I was with a publisher but sales were...severely disappointing so I struck out on my own. I have a few shorts up on Amazon, but for $0.99. I want them to be free, but I can only figure out how to do the whole *free for 5 days* shindig. How do you make a book free forever?

If it helps, they are listed on Smashwords for free.

Thanks guys!

Kriven
10-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Let Amazon know that a competing retailer (Smashwords) is offering the titles for free. They'll lower the price to match.

But it's technically breaking the ToS you signed to publish on the Kindle platform.

elindsen
10-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks, Kriven. I didn't sign up for KDP Select program, yet. Guess I won't :)

J. Tanner
10-06-2012, 03:29 AM
One minor point on what Kriven said (which is otherwise correct, and the method writers generally use):

Amazon may price match. Sometimes the do so reletively quickly, sometimes they do so months later, and sometimes they never price match. It's entirely their discretion, and, as noted, you're technically breaking the rules and they could just unpublish your book instead (though this tends to be a very rare occurance.)

elindsen
10-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks so much J. I'll see how far I can get

Rubay H.
10-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Amazon seems to price match more quickly with Kobo, iTunes and Barnes & Noble than with Smashwords. In my limited experience, anyway. :)

elindsen
10-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Thanks Rubay. I'll keep that in mind.

merrihiatt
10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks so much J. I'll see how far I can get

Why would you risk getting your book pulled from Amazon KDP and possibly getting your account taken away completely? The instances of this happening are rare, but it does happen.

I'm not understanding why you would deliberately break the Terms of Service you agreed to when signing up with Amazon KDP.

I realize a lot of authors do this and I don't mean to single you out. I'm very curious what rationale makes it okay to break an agreement.

Rubay H.
10-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Why would you risk getting your book pulled from Amazon KDP and possibly getting your account taken away completely? The instances of this happening are rare, but it does happen.

I'm not understanding why you would deliberately break the Terms of Service you agreed to when signing up with Amazon KDP.

I realize a lot of authors do this and I don't mean to single you out. I'm very curious what rationale makes it okay to break an agreement.

Are we talking about KDP or KDP Select?
The OP mentioned she hadn't signed up for Select yet and was wondering how to price match through the regular KDP program.
And after viewing the terms of KDP there is no mention of it being a break in terms of agreement to price match. The only thing they mention is this:

ii. Price Matching Determinations : If you notify us through Contact Us (by selecting the topic Pricing & Royalties Price Matching) that you believe we have made an error in price-matching your Digital Book, we will review the issue and make best efforts to correct the error, if any, going forward as soon as practicable.

Unless, I'm mistaken! If that's the case, I would never encourage anybody to beak their terms of agreement and take it all back.

merrihiatt
10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227945&page=4

The discussion on this topic starts a couple posts before page four on my self-publishing thread here at AW. I, too, believed I was not breaching any rights in the beginning. I learned that I was wrong.

Amazon KDP requires that titles be the same price across all sales channels. Amazon KDP Select requires exclusivity, so there would be no other e-books available on other sales channels to be concerned with.

Rubay H.
10-07-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227945&page=4

The discussion on this topic starts a couple posts before page four on my self-publishing thread here at AW. I, too, believed I was not breaching any rights in the beginning. I learned that I was wrong.

Amazon KDP requires that titles be the same price across all sales channels. Amazon KDP Select requires exclusivity, so there would be no other e-books available on other sales channels to be concerned with.

Thanks for the link. I honestly didn't know that and I wouldn't encourage anyone else to knowingly break those terms.
I can see how other authors might interpret it as a grey area since it ultimately is Amazon's decision to price match - but for me, at least, I'm going to have to change my strategy... :(

Unfortunately, I've raised my free book back to 0.99 cents on all platforms and Amazon still hasn't price matched it back from free. So, I'm having the opposite problem at the moment!

merrihiatt
10-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately, I've raised my free book back to 0.99 cents on all platforms and Amazon still hasn't price matched it back from free. So, I'm having the opposite problem at the moment!

You may need to contact Amazon KDP directly and let them know your price has not been updated. I have experienced this before, as well (back when I thought it was okay to do so). I've heard of several titles that took months to finally get updated. This happens most often because a Smashwords premium distribution sales channel such as Sony or Kobo may still have a title listed as free. It can take months for a price change to update on all sales channels.