Question about social networking:Choosing the best places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyaka

Astrid
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I read everywhere that now a days people want the author especially new ones or Self published authors to be an 'active' presence in forums ,websites etc.

The trouble I am running in to is that everywhere you look , everyone wants you be be a active member of the community, not just do a 'hit and run' promo about your project.

How do you choose the most beneficial outlets for your participation?
I write full time, have no children, but I find that I can't/dont want to be on the net 24/7 like it seems some people are. I prefer the quality over quantity approach. That being said I participate in 5 major outlets,updating each, but I am wondering if I should rethink where I am spending my time.

So how do you choose, where do you choose to spend your time?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Self promotion doesn't work if you just hit and run.

No one social networking site is better than another: what's important is which one you're going to enjoy the most.

You might find this thread useful. Meanwhile I'll move this to Book Promotion, where it's a better fit.

Miyaka

Astrid
Registered
Reaction score
Self promotion doesn't work if you just hit and run.

No one social networking site is better than another: what's important is which one you're going to enjoy the most.

You might find this thread useful. Meanwhile I'll move this to Book Promotion, where it's a better fit.

I don't know, I think there are some social networks better then some. Audience /contacts are important.

I will look up those links though , thanks .

spottedgeckgo

Da Gecko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spottedgeckgo.com
while browsing literary agents I've noticed that a LOT of them are on twitter now. I don't do the thing myself, just doesn't fit me, not to mention that I don't have the right phone for it. Could be an outlet for you though. Takes very little time and space. Plus it's a good way to keep your fans posted on the progress of your next book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I think there are some social networks better then some. Audience /contacts are important.

I will look up those links though , thanks .

You're missing my point: perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'll try again.

If you don't enjoy a particular social network then no matter how useful it's meant to be, you're not going to use it enough or appropriately, and it won't be effective for you.

while browsing literary agents I've noticed that a LOT of them are on twitter now. I don't do the thing myself, just doesn't fit me, not to mention that I don't have the right phone for it. Could be an outlet for you though. Takes very little time and space. Plus it's a good way to keep your fans posted on the progress of your next book.

I use Twitter a lot and have never tweeted from my phone--I use Hootsuite, on my laptop. You might find you like it more if you do the same.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you don't like a particular network, it's not going to help much. But assuming you're okay with any of them and just need ways to cut down, what I'd suggest would be:

* A Blog - This is your chance to show you write in an entertaining way and let people talk to you.

* A Short Message Network - Twitter is the popular one. Do make sure you're using it to actually network, rather than promotion spam.

Anything else is gravy, but if you have time for some gravy, I'd suggest looking at Goodreads. It won't need as much time as a blog or Twitter, outside of the initial setup.

Miyaka

Astrid
Registered
Reaction score
You're missing my point: perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'll try again.

If you don't enjoy a particular social network then no matter how useful it's meant to be, you're not going to use it enough or appropriately, and it won't be effective for you.

I guess I was over thinking what you said. Because to me if I "enjoy" a forum that caters to 12 year olds that only read Harry Potter type books , yet that is not that type of book I write, then no, its not effective in my ultimate goal. So perhaps I was not clear enough, but no matter I think we both understand where we are coming from now.

spottedgeckgo Yes I have noticed that too! It is can be a chore to keep up with so I understand where you are coming from :)

PolenthThose are excellent suggestions, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.