PDA

View Full Version : Localization

retlaw
10-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Hello,

I'm new to these forums. Before writing a book, I was a localization professional. Is there anyone else thinking of localization for their books?

R/Walt

Torgo
10-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Hello,

I'm new to these forums. Before writing a book, I was a localization professional. Is there anyone else thinking of localization for their books?

R/Walt

Localization in publishing isn't really a thing. With books originating in the US / UK there is usually small amount of Americanization / Anglicization to be done when they cross the pond in either direction, but that's something a copyeditor takes care of. You tend not to hire people specifically for that.

retlaw
10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
No, I appreciate that. I'm lucky that I've maintained relationships with many of the translators I used to work with. I think that they would extend me a courtesy and be willing to help me at a substantially reduced rate. But before I asked, I was wondering what was going on with l10n in general.

So - wow. Ok. Nobody does for books published in the US. I didn't think it would be a lot, but I guess I didn't think it would be none.

Thanks