Help and Advice

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I am a dual UK/US citizen. In 1996 I wrote 2 autobiographies in the UK which were published by Century (Random House). Both became UK Sunday Times top-ten bestsellers in hardback and paperback. Since then I've never written anything. At the time I only sold the UK and Commonwealth rights, I retained the US rights. I have a couple of questions as I really know very little about publishing, I hope you kind people could help?

I now reside in the US. I know publishing is currently going through a transition what with e-books and everything. That said, Would it be worth trying to get the books published in the US in ebook format.

If so how would I go about it.

As the books are set in the UK and use a lot of slang would they have to be re-wriiten to cater for the US market?

Both have good reviews on Amazon.co.uk would this be helpful in promoting them?

I would like to start writing again (this time fiction) and was hoping they may give me a leg-up as they are just sitting there gathering dust so to speak.

Thank you all I value any opinions and advice you can give.

Best,,
Steve

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Oh, The Glory Boys / Good Guys Wear Black? Excellent books. If I am reading this right I think all rights are back with you, Steve, so would this be a 'how do I go about self-publishing the books effectively' question?

I wouldn't rewrite too much to Americanise it, but perhaps where slang terms are used for the first time you could add an explanation in brackets or as a footnote (though footnotes are kind of poorly implemented in ebooks.)

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack - Thank you for that, that's why I love this site you are all so helpful.

Torgo, Yes, those are the books, thanks for your kind comments. I just really wondered if after all this time I could squeeze anything else out of them in a different market. That said, I was told many years ago that the books 'wouldn't travel'.

Thank you.

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I was told many years ago that the books 'wouldn't travel'.

Yes and how many best-selling authors have been told their books weren't commercially viable? You can't believe everything you are told.

Some foreign slang might be viewed as cool by some readers. I think the key is whether an American would get any humor or slang terms.

If you have good reviews and the books already have a cover, etc -- to try them out in the U.S. Kindle market would be fairly easy, I would think. Not too much to lose and a lot to possibly gain.

I'm thinking of a tag line, "Now available in the U.S. for the first time"

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Bookmama,

Thank you for that excellent advice. I now have a reversion of rights letter from the publishers agreeing that all rights revert to me. I have contacted a couple of agents to see if they may be interested in either the original or a revised copy for the US market. Failing that I will still look into the Kindle aspect. I love the tag line. Thank you. I will keep you apprised.