• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA writing buddy/beta reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Looking for someone/s with whom I can:

- discuss anything writing-related--ideas, characters, books, pencils and pens, grammar etc.
- exchange ms for beta reading or general critique

I read pretty much only YA: fantasy, some contemp, historical and lots of dystopian, among others. I shy away from romance though--run, actually--so if your tastes run to books like Twilight or Daughter of Smoke and Bone (which did have some wonderful writing), I probably wouldn't be a good match for you. :) I've critiqued work before, on forums and in class and as part of my job, and have been writing since those horrifying poems in third grade. I like to think I've improved.

My fav books and series include: LotR, Narnia, Little House, Monstrumologist, Unwind, Hatchet, Death Note, HP, HG, Dracula. My other favs include: Mozart, zombies, monkeys, sunshine, sushi--mmm, sushi, Star Trek, trees, piggy banks, video games.

Thanks for reading and best of luck with all your writing projects! :)

MaCain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycaineditor.com
Hi. I'm offering my eyes around right now as I'm in the query process and have had my ms requested (both partial and full) and I'm waiting to hear back. Needless to say I'm kind of burned out on revising my own work and writing queries.

I AM a romance writer and reader, but I've never looked at any of those books you mentioned. I'm only familiar with Twilight from the media. My latest favorite books are On The Island and Rebecca Donovan's Barely Breathing and Reason Breathe. I don't really limit myself to reading romance. I'll pretty much read anything if I think the premise and writing are clever.

Little about me, I have a BA in Fashion Design, but I'm a stay-at-home mom of two toddlers. This affords me plenty of reading time (and not much money to spend on eBooks).

To take a step back from romance, I'm writing a YA. Just started and in no rush. I'd also like someone to bounce ideas off of, talk about books and characters and anything else.

I'm a compulsive proof reader and thoughtful critter. Interested? PM me.

rkg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for your reply! I'll send a pm shortly. :D

Wait--TWO toddlers? And you have time?! lol

tinapickles

::Head against desk::
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there!
I'm also looking for a writing buddy. I read widely across genres, some YA some adult literature. I tend to, however, lean towards fantasy, sci-fi, gothic (but not necessarily vampire gothic--though I do read some--more along the lines of Edgar Allan Poe or Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre), some contemporary, dystopian, and historical novels.

I have an MFA in Creative Writing (don't hold it against me!) and am experienced in both writing workshop formats of critique as I've participated in as well as taught creative writing workshops (at the college level). In addition to creative writing classes, I've taught composition classes... I kind of love the nit-picky bits of grammar and sentence construction. I currently work from home as a freelance writer.

My current WIP is a steampunk YA novel set in Gold Rush Era CA. Much like you, I'm looking for someone to bounce ideas off of and to read a few pages here and there. And maybe, when it's completed, beta read the whole thing. I really need someone to poke me every once in awhile to make sure I'm staying on task (I'm easily boondoggled by other projects).

And also... HUGE fan of sushi! If you'd like to chat about partnering, send me a PM.

ex_machina

Enjoy the show.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to get a new YA writing/emailing/talking buddy, and your stance on romance sounds like a perfect, PERFECT match! Also, you like Death Note! Absolutely love Death Note.

I write YA, and currently have lots of time to read on my hands. :3 PM me?

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to be your buddy, especially since we both have disliking of romance in common :D I'm in the last chapters/ editing process of my YA WIP, but I always have time to read other work.

Status
Not open for further replies.