Where does everyone submit their write 1/sub 1 stories?

jbsky

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new on here and I'm wondering, do people actually submit their one short story per week online through this forum? Or do they post it on their own blogs or somewhere else?

I'm trying to write 52 short stories in 52 weeks and I'm just posting them on my website. I wanted other people to read my stories, but I just got banned from two other sites for posting a link to website...

What's everyone do?... isn't there a place where we can all post links to our stories?

Sol Quince

Don't mind me.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a SYW (Share Your Work) section on this forum. You can post the stories on there once you get to 50 post.

Take a look in the FAQ :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
What's everyone do?... isn't there a place where we can all post links to our stories?

Depends what you want from posting your story. If you post in the SYW forum, most people would assume that you have posted it to receive feedback. You'll get a range of critiques, some diplomatic, some blunt, which you can use to help if you rewrite your story. I post scenes there every now and again for feedback, and its a good way to become aware of things you can't see in your own work.

Many people here submit finished stories to markets, which you can find in Duotrope. (Google it to find it.) Duotrope lets you search their database of markets using criteria such as rate of pay and genre. You would then read the submission guidelines of whatever market you decide suits.

Most people rack up a stack of rejections, but keep sending the stories out. That is one of the goals of W1S1 - to get into the habit of submitting your work as if you do not, you will never be independently published. It also helps you develop a thick skin when it comes to rejections.

If you publish on your own website, you can add a link to your signature as you participate in the forums here on AW. Sometimes people will click on it if they are curious. Many of us have blogs, but not all of us post our work there, as to do so means losing the potential to sell it elsewhere. But if you just want friends and family to read your work, then a website is fine. If you are writing a new story every week, you'll learn a lot regardless of what you decide to do.

So it depends a bit on your goals with your writing. Good luck.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have the same goal as you, writing 52 stories in 52 weeks. However, I have been sending them out each week to publications, hoping they will buy the piece from me. Once you put stories on your website they will count as published and be much harder to sell.

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
If you're a genre writer, you might find some interesting markets on www.ralan.com or www.duotrope.com. You can search by pay rates. (Some people like to submit to the higher paying markets first).

The markets are also identified by which genres they publish, pay rates, story lengths. There are a lot of zines and anthologies out there to choose from if you're looking to publish outside of your blog/indie publishing. I want to say that's what W1S1 is encouraging people toward.

My favorite market to submit to is Beneath Ceaseless Skies. They always give personal feedback, so in exchange for the information, I usually to to submit to them first.. this way when my crap turns to diamonds, they've got first dibs. ;)

If this hasn't answered your question, please let me know.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Shimmer is another good one if you're looking for feedback. I've never thought of submitting that way...nice idea kats.