PDA

View Full Version : Good shows that went bad

Eliza azilE
10-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm usually not so snarky and negative, but for some stupid reason I feel betrayed when shows I like dip way, way down in quality.

-The new season of The Office started. While the first few episodes were okay, last season was so abysmal, I'm having trouble warming to the new one. I'm happy this will be the last season. I can't imagine I'll watch much of the new season until the final episode, which is a shame because a few years ago a new episode of The Office was a weekly treat. Fingers crossed they won't blow the series finale.

-Newsroom. Aaron Sorkin has the gift of starting something great and then blowing it. There's a drop-off in quality from the first season of West Wing to the last, but that took a few years.

Studio 60 started great, then went off the rails before the end of the 20-some episode run.

Now, he started a show that had a fine first episode, then went to bad before it's 10 (!) episode season ran out. How can the smartest dialogue writer around blow it so often?

----

A silly rant, I know. Better things to worry about.

Still, am I alone? Maybe you disagree with my examples, but generally speaking, does anyone else feel an irrational betrayal when a beloved show loses its charm?

IAMWRITER
10-02-2012, 07:43 PM
There was a BBC programme called Surviovors a few years back that was like that.

The first season was fantastic whilst the second was watchable. Although it wasn't the best and probably would have been better with just the one season as it was clutching at straws for storylines and getting a little far fetched.

AlexPiper
10-02-2012, 08:21 PM
What with the showrunner/creator/lead writer having been forced out, I live in fear that this is the fate awaiting this coming season of Community. :(

leahzero
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I gave up on The Office was Jim/Pam happened. It lost any edge it possessed at that point. Also, losing Steve Carrell was just ridiculous. There is no Office without him.

How about Glee? Everything after season 1/Finnchel was just awful. I was actually enjoying this new season without dopey wet blanket Finn around (even though his replacement is annoying in a different way), until last episode. Bleh.

I'm scared now for Modern Family and Community. The first ep of this season's MF was...okay. Too much focus on babies. Yawn. The show seems at its best when it focuses on the deeply dysfunctional established relationships of its characters. Babies are non-characters. They kill shows. Fact.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Community. Please, please don't suck.

On an optimistic note, the new season of Parks & Rec is pretty good, even with the cast split between locations. P&R is the best thing on television, seriously.

KateSmash
10-02-2012, 08:42 PM
How about Glee? Everything after season 1/Finnchel was just awful.

This is a running theme for Ryan Murphy. It happened with Popular and Nip/Tuck, and will probably happen with American Horror Story and that new one he's got.

WildScribe
10-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I felt that way about Glee. It went from being excited about every episode to getting sick of the increasingly cheesy storylines (and not in a good way), and the whole car accident thing annoyed me so badly that I almost stopped watching completely. I'm only giving the new season a chance because most of the cast has graduated.

Grrarrgh
10-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Prison Break. The first three-quarters of season 1 was as good as anything I've ever seen. We actively looked forward to it ever week. Then toward the end of season 1, they did a flashback episode showing us why every single one of our characters except 1 was really an innocent man wrongfully caught up in our horrible justice system. It was just silly.

Then they broke out of prison. Once they got out of prison, it was over. Terrible. The main FBI guy chasing them - Mahoney, I think - would come up with these insane leaps of logic that would keep him 2 steps behind them the entire time. It was awful. "See, here, in this video, Michael is wearing a blue shirt. The sky is blue. It's a signal for his partner to meet him where you can see the sky. They're heading for Pittsburgh!" And off everyone would go to Pittsburgh, where Michael was, of course heading.

We managed to hang in through season 2, but stopped a few episodes into season 3.

And Glee - someone mentioned it below. So true. I loved that show at first, but it went downhill quickly.

Mclesh
10-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I was a big The Office fan, but for me the show went south when Michael Scott's character left. Don't care to watch anymore.

Glee has been a big disappointment this season.

And another show that I really liked was The Middle. It was funny, sweet, snarky, but now it seems to be all snark and fighting. Who wants to watch Mom nag her family for half an hour? Yikes.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Community.

Jcomp
10-02-2012, 10:51 PM
The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was Heroes

Grrarrgh
10-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Heroes! Yes. I didn't even think of that. Perfect example.

Marumae
10-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Gods yes, Heroes is a prime example for me. Now to me, it went bad when a character who was probably the most popular character on the show, didn't you know die at the end of the first season, which was the original plan. I felt like they were trying desperate to give a character the fans love a very important role and you know, purpose to be there when it really seemed like they were trying to shoe horn them in so much it litterally SKEWERED the entire series around them (well okay I'll argue there are two characters IMO who could have been dropped.) It steadily became more and more unraveled that I just lost interest around end of season 2.

Not sure what people are going to think about this but, Xena: Warrior Princess, went bad around season...3 I believe, it was always corny, melodramatic fun with moments of funny and some Meta but it never stopped being entertaining. Then...eennnhh, it really lost it there for me in there somewhere.

X-Files, the will they or won't they and the O Noes Gillian Andersen is pregnant again let's think of another ridiculous reason to get her off the show and now there are these bounty hunter aliens and some are good but some are bad and some other human beings were kidnapped and Mulder's sister turned into starlight or didn't she and lakdjfal;dkfkl:Soapbox:

Ahem...those are the prime ones that come to mind :D.

Brightdreamer
10-03-2012, 01:24 AM
This is one of the reasons I'm so wary of watching new TV shows. If I like them, they're either dead or doomed to become sharkbait.

The X-Files jumped the shark round about the time Chris Carter decided he didn't want to bother with an actual alien invasion... you know, the thing they'd kinda built the mytharc around for five years. (Don't get me started on the whole bit where Duchovny took off... Sadly, I think the replacement duo had the chemistry to carry a spinoff, but they never got the scripts.)

ER, CSI, Third Watch, Scrubs and countless others jumped by staying on the air too long and becoming soap operas. (I remember I stopped watching ER for a few years, then was clicking through channels and caught part of a TV show that looked like a bad parody of ER. Suddenly, I realized that I was on NBC. It was a bad parody of ER... named ER.)

Law & Order: Criminal Intent jumped when they started writing for the fans, not the characters. (The moment they backtracked on a character death that had actually aired, because they had fans vote on alternate endings, they died in my mind. Cop shows aren't sci-fi, people - you can't pull the alternate-reality excuse to raise the dead!)

But, then, shows staying on TV long past their prime is hardly a new phenomenon. Look at the later seasons of Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons... heck, even Dark Shadows and The Rifleman were shadows of their former selves by the time they limped off the airwaves.

Rhoda Nightingale
10-03-2012, 01:49 AM
I started to feel that way about Buffy midway through Season 6. Just got too wangsty and depressing. Too much drama, not enough ass-kicking.

I've been told the 4th season of Being Human (the UK version) is good, but I can't get over the fact that they killed off Mitchell. I mean, seriously. The sexy Irish vampire was the reason I watched the show in the first place, and I doubt I'm alone there. *sigh*

Celia Cyanide
10-03-2012, 06:28 AM
This is a running theme for Ryan Murphy. It happened with Popular and Nip/Tuck, and will probably happen with American Horror Story and that new one he's got.

When Nip/Tuck started, I couldn't stop watching it because it was so engaging. Then, I couldn't stop watching because I was so sure it was going to get as good as it was again. Finally, I couldn't stop watching because it was like a train wreck.

maxmordon
10-03-2012, 07:02 AM
The Simpsons

Enough said.

When did happen is another thread altogether.

screenscope
10-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Entourage was terrific for a few seasons, but by the end it was rehashing old plot lines and situations and the actors were going through the motions. Should have stopped after season 4.

BenPanced
10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
The Simpsons

Enough said.

When did happen is another thread altogether.
I haven't watched that since about 1996 or so.

South Park, right around the time the movie came out and they started to rely on RIPPED FROM LAST WEEK'S HEADLINES! stories to top the movie. I watched it last week (rerun from last(?) season when Randy discovers the key to Broadway musicals) and wondered "I used to like this show? WHY?!"

Desperate Housewives, when Bree, possibly my favorite character on the show, got a case of teh stoopidz from Susan (faked a pregnancy to avoid the shame of her daughter having a baby out of wedlock. Sent said daughter to a convent, the whole thing) and the whole thing just went down the toilet. Also wouldn't let a bi character be completely bi. But it was delightful watching Carol Burnett place the Ice Bitch in a couple episodes.

Sam Argent
10-03-2012, 07:43 AM
I've been told the 4th season of Being Human (the UK version) is good, but I can't get over the fact that they...(sorry, quote box made the white stand out)

Another urban fantasy UK show did the same thing and now I hesitate about watching them. One show that drove me mad was The Cape. It had everything I love: magician superhero, Keith David, Summer Glau, hypnosis, and it was all wasted. I think I was frustrated because it had a great first episode and then the quality turned erratic.

Chasing the Horizon
10-03-2012, 07:52 AM
(I remember I stopped watching ER for a few years, then was clicking through channels and caught part of a TV show that looked like a bad parody of ER. Suddenly, I realized that I was on NBC. It was a bad parody of ER... named ER.)
Lmao. This is so true. I loved the first 6 or 7 seasons, though.

Seconding The X-Files. They got so lost in their own mythos around season 5 that not even a GPS with alien DNA spliced in could save them.

I disagree that Third Watch went bad. They were heading downhill, but got mercifully taken off the air before reaching true suck.

I've been told the 4th season of Being Human (the UK version) is good, but I can't get over the fact that they killed off Mitchell. I mean, seriously. The sexy Irish vampire was the reason I watched the show in the first place, and I doubt I'm alone there. *sigh*
Oh, totally with you there. Being Human without Mitchell?! That's like . . . the original Star Trek without Kirk or X-Files without Mulder. I'M NOT WATCHING AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! :tongue

akaria
10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Lost. I was glued to my seat for three seasons then it started going off the rails. They also started messing with the schedule. It felt like they were going on a six week hiatus every other month. I finally tore myself away during season 4 and never looked back.

CrastersBabies
10-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Definitely Heroes

Alias... way to kill a great show. Seasons 1&2 were awesome then Abrams left to do LOST and the show went straight to hell.

Millennium was good in season 1 then blew for S2

Detri Redmond
10-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Another one for Heroes here... A friend of mine begged me to watch it and I was hooked through the first two seasons and then... I couldn't MAKE myself watch the rest :(

kuwisdelu
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Everything that goes past season 5 or 6, and most things that go past season 1 or 2.

The biggest problem with American television is no one has the balls to end a successful show.

Brightdreamer
10-03-2012, 09:50 AM
The biggest problem with American television is no one has the balls to end a successful show.

Now, now - it's not just an American problem. (Or need I mention Red Dwarf?)

LOG
10-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Stargate: SG-1

Now, don't get me wrong, it never became truly terrible (in that series anyways). But while Browder is good, his Mitchell is no O'Neill.

And then of course there's Atlantis and Universe. >.>

Marumae
10-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Now, don't get me wrong, it never became truly terrible (in that series anyways). But while Browder is good, his Mitchell is no O'Neill.

Agreed, I hate to jump ship when an actor leaves but when O'Neill left my interest waned. I tried to give Atlantis a go but I just couldn't get into it. Didn't even bother with Universe, honestly how could I? If I didn't watch it's inception with Universe. I suppose for me the end came when the Asgard left their technology to the humans it became Stargate: The Star Trek years. (saying this as a Trekkie)

Alpha Echo
10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Everything that goes past season 5 or 6, and most things that go past season 1 or 2.

I agree except for Friends. That show ended at the perfect time, IMO. So did Seinfeld, actually.

Let's see - I agree that The Office went to hell after Michael Scott left. There was no longer a point.

The Simpsons has been on far too long and totally lost its appeal.

All of the CSIs and Laws and Order. I LOVED all of them. I think the original Law and Order lost it when Lennie died. Well, not Lennie, but the actor playing Lennie. I loved him. SVU lost it when whats-his-name lost his temper for the umpteenth time. I loved CSI Miami and had a crush on the guy with the glasses and Bronx accent on CSI New York...but I lost interest a few years ago in all of it. Is NY even on anymore?

Rhoda Nightingale
10-03-2012, 06:00 PM

You may be onto something, my friend. Perhaps that's why Firefly is still considered such a classic amongst the fanbase--they got cancelled after only one season.

IAMWRITER
10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I think I'm the only one that thought Heroes improved season after season. Most people I knew tuned off during its run.

I also think Scrubs (as someone said) also declined in quality. I love Scrubs but I thought season 8 was really lacking compared to other seasons - season 9 I loved though as the newer characters added something fresh.

Chris P
10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Has nobody mentioned Northern Exposure yet? As much as I liked Teri Polo (really, REALLY liked Teri Polo), Joel made the show.

Oh, and Saturday Night Live should never have even lasted until 1990, let alone still be going.

LadyV
10-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Another vote for Heroes. I fell in love with show but then the plots got too convoluted and ridiculous.

Rachel Udin
10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Once Upon a Time. The genie episode pretty much made me hurl on Once Upon a Time for the reasons listed. Unfair to PoCs. Also the one-track look at adoption/foster care really bugs me. All of the characters, no matter their backgrounds have terrible adoptive parents/foster parents. The view of the characters is exactly the same no matter the circumstances of the surrender/character backgrounds. Needs to be revised so it's more like a question than an answer.

And they can so diversify the cast believably and still adhere to Disney tales.

Lost. I hope I don't have to explain that one. It lost it in season 1. Only continued in subsequent seasons because there were real Koreans playing Koreans on TV using correct and well-pronounced Korean who weren't stereotyped. (And generally the multicultural cast).

Alias... I was a WTF once she went with DaVinci Code stuff. (Yes, there is a track record... look Prison Break had the same issues)

AlexPiper
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM

What particularly makes me sad was that Universe had so much potential to start with, and it sort of squandered it and meandered along for the latter part of the first season and the first part of season 2. Then they sort of found their footing again near the end of season 2 RIGHT BEFORE BEING CANCELLED.

That said, I'd argue that a lot of series do not shine in their first season; they need time to get their legs under them. Star Trek: The Next Generation really picked up at season 2, to the point that Riker going unshaven right around the point where it turned the corner actually gives us the trope name for 'Growing the Beard' (the opposite of Jumping the Shark). Babylon 5's first season was okay, but nothing special, while seasons 3 and 4 are — in my opinion — some of the tightest-written SF we've had on television. ("Only one human has ever defeated the Minbari in combat. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your life, be somewhere else.")

The problem is knowing which series will find their footing and improve (and I have to admit, to my surprise, Falling Skies seems to fall into this category) versus which ones will never improve and probably should be quietly put out of their misery.

kuwisdelu
10-03-2012, 09:53 PM
You may be onto something, my friend. Perhaps that's why Firefly is still considered such a classic amongst the fanbase--they got cancelled after only one season.

Firefly is probably the only American series with which I'm 100% happy. I can't even say that about my favorite live-action series, The X-Files.

Shadow_Ferret
10-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Lost in Space. It started out as a decent space opera with the family struggling to survive, the b9 robot was still robot-like, and Doctor Smith was just plain evil. Then sometime during the 1st season Smith went from supporting role to overpowering the show. He became whiney and afraid of his own shadow and everyone else, except for Will and the robot were relegated to bit 2-dimensional parts.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The 1st season was heavily influenced by the Cold War, with a lot if espionage. Admiral Nelson's Institute of Marine Research battled some super powerful consortium of evil nations. Those were interesting. Not to say the later episode of the monster of the week weren't fun, just not as serious.

The Magician. Bill Bixby had an interesting show but the Writer's strike, a month long hiatus, and a complete change all the characters sort if screwed everything up. Putting it in the wasteland of Friday nights didn't help either.

Airwolf. I really liked this in the beginning. Lots of military and paramilitary plots. Then, someone decided to make the show more touchy feely and added more human interest stories where they'd go save a troupe of Girl Scouts trapped at the mall because their mom was late.

Mclesh
10-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Max brought up The Simpsons. That show used to be really funny. I'm talking back when Conan O'Brien and Brad Bird were writing for it. It hasn't been funny in a long time. It simply sucks now, and I can't watch any more. (Why is it still on the air?)

And Benpanced brought up Desperate Housewives. The first season was really fun and compelling. It got progressively worse. I kept watching because of the whole train wreck thing. By the end of the show, the characters had gotten so ridiculous, I couldn't stand any of them, especially Susan.

How about Twin Peaks? The first season was some of the best television I've ever watched. Once they solved the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer and after David Lynch stopped directing, it just became weird.

lbender
10-03-2012, 10:36 PM
As long as everybody keeps mentioning the term 'jumped the shark', we might as well mention the show Happy Days, which originated the term when Fonzie jumped over a shark in one episode. Needless to say, the writers had been out of ideas for a while. The show ended soon after.

Lyra Jean
10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
I agree except for Friends. That show ended at the perfect time, IMO. So did Seinfeld, actually.

Let's see - I agree that The Office went to hell after Michael Scott left. There was no longer a point.

The Simpsons has been on far too long and totally lost its appeal.

All of the CSIs and Laws and Order. I LOVED all of them. I think the original Law and Order lost it when Lennie died. Well, not Lennie, but the actor playing Lennie. I loved him. SVU lost it when whats-his-name lost his temper for the umpteenth time. I loved CSI Miami and had a crush on the guy with the glasses and Bronx accent on CSI New York...but I lost interest a few years ago in all of it. Is NY even on anymore?

I know they stopped doing CSI: Miami because it cost too much to film.

Lyra Jean
10-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Can I mention Terra Nova or was it not on long enough to count?

My husband and I were really psyched about it. We thought it would be like Survivor: Jurassic Park Edition.

Jersey Chick
10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
CSI:NY is still on. Fridays at eight (in the NY/NJ area) - which leads me to believe it will be gone after this season. Shame - it's still relatively decent, IMHO.

CSI should have been pulled when William Peterson left. I didn't care for Lawrence Fishburne's character at all and Ted Danson's is okay, but I just don't care about the show as a whole any more.

Reaper (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955322/) was the first one I thought of, though. This show's first two seasons were great, but then the third one (I think) imploded. It got super-ridiculous and I stopped watching it. Too bad, because I liked the concept and it was funny.

CrastersBabies
10-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Alias... I was a WTF once she went with DaVinci Code stuff. (Yes, there is a track record... look Prison Break had the same issues)

See, I was pissed that the Rambaldi storyline was never resolved. I actually liked it.

Has anyone mentioned Survivor? Season 1 was somewhat interesting, but then it became so scripted and full of fail. Same with American Idol.

Gravity
10-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Space:1999. The premise, though cheesy (due a to a nuclear accident, the moon and its colonists are blasted out of Earth's orbit and sent careening into deep space), was fun for the first season, but then in the second the writers switched from "how will they survive?" stories to "who's the alien-of-the-week?" When they brought in a shape-shifter as a recurring character (and they lost Barry Morse), that was pretty much it for me. It was canceled soon after.

Saoirse
10-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Let's see....Lost is one. I hung on b/c I'd invested so much time into it that I needed to know how it ended. And the ending was pretty good, if predictable.

No one's mentioned House? The first 5 seasons were awesome, and then it went waaaaaaay off the rails. Same situation -- I wanted to see how it ended. And I'm pretty sure they were prepared for a cancellation and decided to end on a high note.

AlexPiper
10-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Can I mention Terra Nova or was it not on long enough to count?

My husband and I were really psyched about it. We thought it would be like Survivor: Jurassic Park Edition.

So, what, a reality show where the losing contestant each week is eaten by velociraptors? ;)

Alpha Echo
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Max brought up The Simpsons. That show used to be really funny. I'm talking back when Conan O'Brien and Brad Bird were writing for it. It hasn't been funny in a long time. It simply sucks now, and I can't watch any more. (Why is it still on the air?)

And Benpanced brought up Desperate Housewives. The first season was really fun and compelling. It got progressively worse. I kept watching because of the whole train wreck thing. By the end of the show, the characters had gotten so ridiculous, I couldn't stand any of them, especially Susan.

I agree with Simpsons. I didn't realize until the other day, actually, that they were STILL showing new episodes.

I love Desperate Housewives. It gives me something fun to watch on Netflix while I'm on the elliptical (I didn't watch it when it was on air)

I know they stopped doing CSI: Miami because it cost too much to film.

No kidding. That one was my favorite but definitely appeared to be expensive.

CSI:NY is still on. Fridays at eight (in the NY/NJ area) - which leads me to believe it will be gone after this season. Shame - it's still relatively decent, IMHO.

CSI should have been pulled when William Peterson left. I didn't care for Lawrence Fishburne's character at all and Ted Danson's is okay, but I just don't care about the show as a whole any more.

Is cute guy with glasses still on NY?

And I totally agree about CSI. That's when I stopped watching it. I haven't seen one episode with Ted Danson, but he can't take a single step in Peterson's shoes. Not for this show, anyway, IMO.

Jersey Chick
10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Yep - the cute guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0320547/) with the glasses is still on it. :D

Lyra Jean
10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
So, what, a reality show where the losing contestant each week is eaten by velociraptors? ;)

Less, angsty soap opera drama and more how are we going to survive and not get eaten by dinosaurs.

Alpha Echo
10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Yep - the cute guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0320547/) with the glasses is still on it. :D

Maybe I should start watching it again. :D I don't know what it is about him...the glasses plus the accent...IDK. I love him.

Bookewyrme
10-04-2012, 05:32 PM
I also think Scrubs (as someone said) also declined in quality. I love Scrubs but I thought season 8 was really lacking compared to other seasons - season 9 I loved though as the newer characters added something fresh.
Actually, I've never watched season 9, because for me, season 8 wrapped it up and put a bow on it. The story was finished, there was even a final montage. I've never understood why they felt compelled to continue.

Definitely agree about CSI: LV. I had been disenchanted with it for a while, but then in season 8 (I think? Or maybe it was 9) I watched about two episodes, and then they got rid of Grissom as supervisor and quit watching in disgust.

And speaking of season 9s! WTF NCIS?!? Seriously, I love that show soooo much, and then I watched season 9 and I just...I can't even be coherent. I mean, existential Gibbs wangst. GIBBS! Wangsting!! For an entire episode!! ARGH!!! And don't even get me started on the Season Finale. Grr, argh, grrr.

Not Solomon Brown
10-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Babylon 5's first season was okay, but nothing special, while seasons 3 and 4 are in my opinion some of the tightest-written SF we've had on television. ("Only one human has ever defeated the Minbari in combat. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your life, be somewhere else.")

I think Babylon 5 was so watchable because of the continuing plotlines of the Shadows and Vorlons, and working to overthrow President Clark.
When they were gone, unfortunately there wasn't much left.

Excalibur (the spin-off) was ok but I no idea how many seasons it ran for.

The best Sheridan line - "Ramming speed".

Alpha Echo
10-04-2012, 05:52 PM
And speaking of season 9s! WTF NCIS?!? Seriously, I love that show soooo much, and then I watched season 9 and I just...I can't even be coherent. I mean, existential Gibbs wangst. GIBBS! Wangsting!! For an entire episode!! ARGH!!! And don't even get me started on the Season Finale. Grr, argh, grrr.

Yeah...and then they tried the spin-off, right, in LA or something? Pathetic.

August Talok
10-04-2012, 06:14 PM
The Office - after Pam and Jim got together - worse when Michael Scott left.

Dexter - Season 6 was just boring - But the season premier last week may have saved it, so I'm still up in the air about it.

Prison Break - After the Second Season... FFS.

House - After third season. Shame.. was a pretty good show. But honestly, how many times can you guess Lupus?!

And Firefly - IMHO - is one of the best shows from beginning to end, including the movie. Though, it was a short run compared to most shows so it's sort of unfair to comapre to the rest.

amblack
10-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I felt that way about Glee. It went from being excited about every episode to getting sick of the increasingly cheesy storylines (and not in a good way), and the whole car accident thing annoyed me so badly that I almost stopped watching completely. I'm only giving the new season a chance because most of the cast has graduated.

I wish, I WISH this show had just done the Degrassi thing. Get rid of them all and begin anew. Or well, almost all of them, like the characters we haven't explored yet. I watched the Glee Project this summer and would have gladly put in the final four of them in the show.

For me, Bones has been the horrid let down the past couple seasons. I still watch, but then it became too much about babies and couples dynamics. I loved the first few seasons, what a fantastic twist. Kind of hoping the arching villain this season brings excitement.

Saoirse
10-05-2012, 04:22 AM
amblack - I'm a die hard Bones fan, but I have to agree with you. I am glad though that they have Bones and Booth in a relationship...the unresolved sexual tension was killing me.

FloridianWriter
10-05-2012, 04:56 AM
Smallville

Prison Break

Chuck

Supernatural

jvc
10-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I was thinking Prison Break, too. That first season was the best ever, and then went to bad, then even worse, and then to not being bothered watching it anymore.

CrastersBabies
10-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I think Babylon 5 was so watchable because of the continuing plotlines of the Shadows and Vorlons, and working to overthrow President Clark.
When they were gone, unfortunately there wasn't much left.

Excalibur (the spin-off) was ok but I no idea how many seasons it ran for.

The best Sheridan line - "Ramming speed".

Yeah, seasons 1 and 5 were the weakest of B5. 2, 3, and 4 were full of awesome. Even so, season 1 was introduction and world-building. If you watch the entire season and go back to season 1 again, you're blown away by how many "seeds" JMS planted in season 1 that paid off.

At the end of season 4, nobody knew if the show would get picked up for season 5, so they rushed to finish the shadow war (and actually filmed the series finale, "Sleeping in Light," at the end of season 4). When they were renewed for season 5 at the last minute, they suddenly had to come up with a different finale for season 4, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars."

So, they went into season 5 having blown most of their mojo. All that was really left was Londo and G'Kar's character arc, the telepath fiasco (ugh, Byron), and some Earth conflict.

I'm sure most of the B5 fans here know this. :)

Because of all that, I give season 5 a break. And, I actually like Lochley, too. But the whole Teep thing? I could have really done without that.

On STARGATE stuff, I never could get into SG1 or Atlantis. Neither one had the depth, imho, that Universe had. And O'Neill returned for many episodes in Universe (as did a few characters from Atlantis and SG1). My only (obvious) issue is that SyFy bailed on Universe at its prime and left the show hanging (Carnivale style).

And Universe had Robert Carlyle. Enough said. :)

crunchyblanket
10-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I was thinking Prison Break, too. That first season was the best ever, and then went to bad, then even worse, and then to not being bothered watching it anymore.

Oh god Prison Break. Series One was AWESOME. Series Two was still great viewing. But Series 3? WTF?

(spoilers, not that anyone gives a toss::)

So they get stuck in this super badass prison for no discernible reason and Mahone suddenly becomes this weird introverted drug addict and there's this Australian guy who's actually English and he's hiding in the walls and somehow hasn't starved to death and everyone wants him so they can cash in on him and it's a MASSIVE SECRET but then oh look, he's out and it's cool, we've totally decided not to sell him out anymore. Oh, and Sarah's head got cut off and it's right there in a fucking box and suddenly it's S4 and JUST KIDDING it was another COMPLETELY DIFFERENT woman and Michael the genius JUST HAPPENED to mistake this woman's head for the woman he loves and his dead mother is actually alive and he's got a brain tumour now and his beloved brother who he GAVE UP HIS FREEDOM FOR isn't actually his brother and MARICRUZ and the badass lady was sleeping with Herr Starr that baldy twat who used to only communicate via notepad and NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE PLEASE SEND HELP.

crunchyblanket
10-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I feel better now.

Anyway, I want to put a vote in for House. It was must-see TV for me right up until they chose Olivia Wilde's character over Anne Dudek's. Thirteen was so insufferable and joyless and yet the Powers That Be insisted on dedicating entire episodes to her (Look! She's got a terminal illness! Now she's bisexual and banging hot chicks! Now she's got a magical brain tumour and has gone blind! Now she's banging the most boring guy on the team! Oh, and now she's been taken hostage....!) Then the Cuddy/House hookup effectively drained the show dry, and the medical mysteries took a backseat to the interpersonal drama.

I thought the last few series of the X-Files had some merit, but it was pretty clear they didn't have much of an idea where they were going anymore. Killing off Krycek pretty much ruined it for me, though, especially since the character had become so inconsistent and obscure in his actions that I didn't really know what he was up to by the end.