October Just Do It Thread

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is simple. Think of the Nike ads on T.V. "Just do it!" Procrastination is the enemy of writers. So, join me by posting your goals for the month of October. Make them measurable so that you can easily tell that you've reached them at the end of the month.

Go Team!

~Karen

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't submitted anything in three years, though I've been writing furiously. I just sent out two stories this week. I know with calculating response times that it's hard to set a goal for publication this month, but what the hell? Getting back into the game is my goal this month.

Sol Quince

Don't mind me.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope to finish my novel manuscript by the end of October.
I'm not to sure it will happen (i'm a slowpoke). But.. *fingers crossed*

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
My Goals

My October Just Do It Goals:

1. Write 15,000 words of That Child by 10/15/12.
2. Write 30,000 words of That Child by 10/31/12.
3. Write 3,000 word essay for women's magazine.
4. Write guest blog posts for November as they come in.
5. Make preparations for nanowrimo.

That's it for me. Pretty ambitious but I have to get a lot done so I can take the month of November off and do something fun - write a 50,000 word novel! LOL

Who else is with me?

Beth Raymond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethraymond.com
My October goals:
1. Publish a new chapter each week for my online serial (see sig below).
2. Write at least three hours a day (I know this does not seem like much, but now, I mostly write for about two hours in the morning and then on weekends...need to add some evening sessions).

I have other goals in mind, but the above two are the ones that are the most realistic. :)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Good goals!

Beth - actually three hours a day is really, really good! My book came out in November and I'm working on two others, and I often say that I'm good for three hours, and then my brain is done. You can get a LOT done in three focused hours. I have a friend who is quite prolific. He's an author with a popular series out...Random House, I think. Anyway, he says the same thing. He writes from 5am to 8am. Then he goes to his "real" job. So he only has those three hours. So, if you can accomplish that on a consistent basis, that's really great!

Can't wait to hear from you as you reach your goals! ~Karen

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I'm writing the last two chapters of my book, which means I'm hoping to be done by the end of this week. Then next week I will read through it and start chopping it down and tightening it as much as possible. Then I will go through it and see where I can re-write sentences to make them better/more concise. So, hopefully by the 3rd week of Oct, I will be sending the mani to my beta readers and I'm hoping to start querying by mid-Nov. If I don't make that deadline and I find myself not ready to query until Dec (which also depends on how much work the mani needs based off beta feedback) then I might just let it sit, start working on my next novel and query it in January.

Beth Raymond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethraymond.com
He writes from 5am to 8am. Then he goes to his "real" job. So he only has those three hours. So, if you can accomplish that on a consistent basis, that's really great!

Thanks, Karen! That is a somewhat similar schedule to mine; I get up at 5:30 and write until 7:30ish, and then it is time to go to the gym and get ready for work. I have thought about getting up even earlier, and if the evening writing sessions don't pan out, I may do so. I am definitely much more productive in the morning than I am in the evening.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Melly- That's a good solid plan. You've really thought it through, which is what gets this hard task of writing/editing/rewriting done! Sounds great! Let us know as you reach your goals. ~Karen

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Beth - You're welcome. It really can be done in short spurts, as long as they are consistent. Please do share as you accomplish your goals.

How is everybody doing? We're just about a week into our October goals. I'll be reporting my success tomorrow. ~Karen

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
OK...so I'm reporting for the first week of October. I've written 7,000 words on my WIP. That's a total of 27,000 for the book. I got behind a bit so had to write 3,000 today. That was a LOT! But I'm proud of myself for getting it done. Now I just need to keep up the momentum.

I am speaking at a conference this weekend, so I should write ahead for those days. And I forgot to add preparations for my presentation to my goals. That's really important since I'm doing a workshop I haven't done before, so I'm creating something new.

I have done some focused thinking about what I'll do for nanowrimo. I have it in mind, but not on paper yet.

I haven't started the other goals; I hope to this week.

Anyway, one week down; how are y'all doing on your goals? ~Karen

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My goals to finish off this darned WIP at last as well as begin to create some sort of plan for NaNo and an essay for the end of the month which I've finally made a start on. (And also think about Xmas presents too!)

Luckily I've got some time off this month, so I've got no excuses.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to get between 20k-25k for this rewrite by the end of October.

As of Oct 9th I have 15,4000 words.

That means I have to write 4,600 words to get to 20,000 words by the end of this month. Or for 25,000 words I need to write 9,600 words. I think that's doable. Now here's to hoping it actually gets done! ;)

Beth Raymond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethraymond.com
My main goal (writing 3 hours a day) has been derailed by work this week. I'm still on task for publishing a new chapter each week of my serial, but work might screw that one up, too. :rant:

mada

Getting back in the groove
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for this month is to make time, at least an hour a day to just write. I realized tonight that my break from writing anything creative has lasted over 2 years. I'm also trying to get my days organized so I can do NaNoWriMo next month, something for no one other than myself.