Incandescent lightbulbs out by 2014; hate CFLs; anyone use LED bulbs?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So we're building a house and we're looking into what we're going to do for lighting. Last January saw the end of 100 watt incandescent bulbs. (Whatever is still out there is just the selling off what was already made. They can't be manufactured or imported anymore.) 75 disappear in 2013 and 60 and 40 watt bulbs are next until they're all gone.

Fine. Whatever. But I tried the CFLs and that's the most miserable, soul-stealing light I've ever sat under. The claim that they last longer than incandescent is rubbish - they don't. Then they are a pain to dispose of.

So, I'm looking at LEDs and wanted to know if anyone here has used them in any large quantities? Is the light any good? They are shockingly expensive, but it sounds like there's not going to be much of a choice.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
See if you can find the CFLs that have "daylight spectrum"... make sure it says 6500K (usually in very small print) somewhere on the packaging. Nowhere near as bad as the yellow tinged ones. My plants actually lean toward the daylight ones.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The only LED lights I've ever seen were, in terms of light quality, far, far more soul-sucking and arctic than CFLs, which I don't mind.

*wistful sigh* In university, I saw a demonstration of a high pressure sulphur lamp. One bulb lit an entire auditorium (fit to seat 400 people) brighter than the normal roof lights did and the light quality was so great it looked just like sunlight.

The problem is it generates so much heat, you need a special mechanism to keep the bulb from melting itself.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
The claim that they last longer than incandescent is rubbish - they don't. .

All of mine have.
All my cfl's have lasted anywhere from 5 to 10 years.

So, I'm looking at LEDs and wanted to know if anyone here has used them in any large quantities? Is the light any good? They are shockingly expensive, but it sounds like there's not going to be much of a choice.

I have 3 of them. To call them a light bulb is a lie, they are more like weak about-to-die night-lite. Sure they take almost no energy, that's because they don't do squat.

If you want to save money with LED lighting, buy them buy the 100 strings and place them under a cove molding six inches to a foot down from the ceiling.

I've seen them, and it works. =)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't look at me, I'm hoarding incandescent lightbulbs.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... whatever you decide on, make sure you're happy with the choice and try out the lights as much as possible first. Maybe you could just do one room as a test and get a feel of how it'd be before going ahead and doing them all. G'luck.