PDA

View Full Version : Amazon actively moderating one-star reviews now?

LindaJeanne
09-30-2012, 05:37 PM
The "have you ever returned a book" thread spurred me to finally leave a review for a "medical" book that I purchased that I feared could be actively harmful to those who took it's snake-oil too seriously. This is the first one-star review I've ever left on Amazon, so I don't know if this is standard, but I don't think I've received this message for my other reviews:

Thanks! Your review is being processed.
We're currently processing your review and we will email you at xxxx@xxxx.com as soon as this is complete. Please check your inbox for a message from "Amazon.com Reviews". If you are still unable to see your review on the product page or on your profile page after 48 hours, then your review couldn't be posted on Amazon.com as written. Please read our posting guidelines before resubmitting your review.

Is this something new?

victoriastrauss
09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
That's really interesting. Can you be sure to post back here when you get the message? I know Amazon has been tracking copyright issues more closely (with some unintended results) to deal with the problem of book fakery, so maybe they're doing the same with reviews in an attempt to deal with the protest-by-one-star issue and the organized one-star hate campaigns we've been hearing about lately. If they are indeed monitoring reviews more closely, that would be a new development.

- Victoria

alleycat
09-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I believe that is the standard message for all reviews now.

Bulletproof
09-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I feel like I've been getting that message for some time. When I queried my gmail, I found 'Your latest review has just gone live on Amazon' emails going back about a year, so maybe that's when it started? Or maybe they were testing it on some people? (I've been reviewing on Amazon for 8 years or so.)

Nothing to do with the star rating, though.

CrastersBabies
09-30-2012, 07:15 PM
That's really interesting. Can you be sure to post back here when you get the message? I know Amazon has been tracking copyright issues more closely (with some unintended results) to deal with the problem of book fakery, so maybe they're doing the same with reviews in an attempt to deal with the protest-by-one-star issue and the organized one-star hate campaigns we've been hearing about lately. If they are indeed monitoring reviews more closely, that would be a new development.

- Victoria

Out of curiosity, what kind of "unintended results?" More more!

leahzero
09-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I get that message every time I post a review, regardless of star rating. It's standard.

G. Applejack
09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Echoing 'it's standard'. I've received it on every review I've submitted over the past, oh, year or so.

... Unless they're watching me. ;)

LindaJeanne
09-30-2012, 11:33 PM

- Victoria

Despite the warning message, the review appeared on Amazon almost immediately after I posted here -- quickly enough that it's unlikely that a human reviewed it first (especially on a Sunday afternoon). And yes, it's visible even when I'm logged out.

I'm "real name", it's a verified purchase, and I've had this Amazon account for over a decade without any trouble-making: so there may be an initial screening algorithm that allows "low risk" reviews to go up immediately, but flags "high risk" reviews to be moderated first?

alleycat
09-30-2012, 11:44 PM
No, I think it's just the standard message. I get it for my reviews no matter what star rating I give something.

And mine go pubic almost immediately as well. I've been buying from Amazon since they opened, and when they used to send customers a Christmas present!

meowzbark
10-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Standard message. My reviews typically get posted within 5 mins on Amazon but sometimes it takes a few hours. It doesn't matter what the rating is.

victoriastrauss
10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of "unintended results?" More more!
I've heard that some authors with pirated editions online have had the buy buttons on their legitimate listings disabled, because Amazon's algorithms look for free online content that's re-packaged on Amazon.

They've been able to resolve the issue, but Amazon has required them to prove that they are copyright holders.

- Victoria

bearilou
10-02-2012, 05:30 PM
They've been able to resolve the issue, but Amazon has required them to prove that they are copyright holders

I've heard about this before. What does Amazon require for their proof?

James D. Macdonald
10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
For me, it's been writing them an email that says, basically, "Yeah, I no-shit am the copyright holder." They haven't requested scans of contracts or copyright documents, if that's what you're asking.

bearilou
10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
For me, it's been writing them an email that says, basically, "Yeah, I no-shit am the copyright holder." They haven't requested scans of contracts or copyright documents, if that's what you're asking.

That's what I was asking! Thank you.

I couldn't fathom how a writer would prove I AM SO TOO THE WRITER to Amazon by any electronic means.

I was just curious in the event that I ever find myself in that exact place.