PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Fall TV season (US)

Gilroy Cullen
09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Okay, so we start the new TV season this month.

I wanted to see what everyone is thinking worth seeing?
What shows just need to die?
Anything you're looking at and shaking your head?

(Side question: Does Britney on X-Factor make any difference?)

Shadow_Ferret
09-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I have no idea what any of the new shows are. Do they even advertise that anymore? As a child of the '60s, I remember tons of ads and jingles and slogans about the each new season during the summer and by the time September rolled around, you'd be all excited and have a really good list if what new shows you wanted to try.

To be honest, I can't recall any for this upcoming season. The promos must be just awful. But then, I guess I don't watch much network television because they haven't been able to lure me in for many years.

I did happen across something I hadn't heard of last night while channel surfing. "Sherlock" which had Lucy Luis in it. I missed the first 20 minutes, but gave it another 20 minutes before I got bored and started channel surfing again. I never even figured out what it was supposed to be.

heza
09-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I keep hearing the one on that radio. It's Sherlock Holmes in New York, but Lucy Liu plays Watson.

But I agree. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention... but it seems like I have less information about what's coming out, on which network, on which day than I did last year.

Lavern08
09-28-2012, 11:46 PM
I think that program is called: Elementary.

I watched it last night (only because it followed Person of Interest).

I enjoyed it, actually. Although I found it difficult sometimes to understand what Sherlock was saying.

You can already sense the (predictable) sexual tension between Holmes and Watson.

I'd watch it again (if I can stay awake). ;)

Gravity
09-29-2012, 12:00 AM
The only new one my wife and I have caught so far is Vegas (mainly because we both like Dennis Quaid so much). It was pretty good, but like any new show, it will have to find its legs.

The main quibble I have with it is it's supposed to be set in 1960, but it didn't feel like it. Yet. On the plus side it has Quaid going up against Michael Chiklis (always a good villian) as a Mafia chief, with heavy James Russo as Chiklis' second in command.

We'll give it some time.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I think that program is called: Elementary.

I watched it last night (only because it followed Person of Interest).

I enjoyed it, actually. Although I found it difficult sometimes to understand what Sherlock was saying.

Oh good! I thought it was just me and I kept turning the TV up thinking it was my ears.

And I felt no sexual tension. Maybe because I find the guy playing Sherlock to be kinda creepy. ;)

defcon6000
09-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Oh good! I thought it was just me and I kept turning the TV up thinking it was my ears.

And I felt no sexual tension. Maybe because I find the guy playing Sherlock to be kinda creepy. ;)If you caught the very beginning, he recites, word-for-word, some cheesy romance lines from a soap opera, which sort of set the tone.

You can already sense the (predictable) sexual tension between Holmes and Watson.
I'm hoping they make Watson a lesbian or him gay, then that'll be the end of it. Otherwise, the whole "should we fuck???" will get real old, real fast.

Not much else I'm looking forward. I missed the 3rd season premiere of Mike & Molly, which is the only comedy I watch besides Big Bang. BB was lackluster, and feels this season will be all about relationships. Ack!

Other than that, not much else I watch. Probably won't catch the Mentalist since they switched it to Sunday, which says to me that it may be its last season.

Stiger05
09-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Okay, so we start the new TV season this month.

I'm pleased to say the new season of The New Girl meets the standard it set last year. Love that show! I only caught the end of Fox's new show Ben and Kate, but it seemed interesting and funny enough.

As far as new shows- I liked what I saw of both Go On and Animal Practice, but I've only caught one episode.

Revolution probably isn't going to last long. I missed Elementary, but everyone's reviews don't sound great (shame, because I love Johnny Lee Miller).

I've enjoyed the X factor so far even though they made the auditions look way staged. I've pretty much accepted that all reality tv is fake, though, so I take it for what it's worth.

Demi Lovato has been pretty fantastic. She's got so much personality! I was actually pretty surprised by how much I've liked Brittany Spears as a judge. I've never really been a fan of her or her music (I always thought Christina Aguilera sang better), but she's seemed really sweet and down to earth so far--and her faces are priceless! It's interesting to contrast her with Christina now, especially in their capacities as judges. Christina comes off way more like an entitled diva. I'm ready for boot camp and the judges' house rounds to really get a feel of how their going to do.

That's all the new tv I've caught this season. I always forget when things come on.

Dr Strange
09-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Last Resort = best new show, for sure. Give it a shot, folks.

Revolution, hopefully gets better, but it's a waste of potential so far. Nothing really to keep me watching.

Vegas was not what I thought it would be. I expected more an epic story telling of of how vegas came to be, sort of like Boardwalk Empire, but about Vegas. Instead it's more like 'crime of the week', if the pilot's anything to go by. It's not a bad show though, just not the epic i expected.

Sitcoms:

Partners was so bad. Just don't put yourself through it.

The Mindy Project, I really enjoyed. It's not all there/perfect, but it was enjoyable
and funny.

Ben and Kate, I felt the same way as the Mindy Project. Also, the characters here didn't feel fully formed. I'll keep watching for now.

BenPanced
09-29-2012, 04:56 AM
I have no idea what any of the new shows are. Do they even advertise that anymore? As a child of the '60s, I remember tons of ads and jingles and slogans about the each new season during the summer and by the time September rolled around, you'd be all excited and have a really good list if what new shows you wanted to try.
RIP: The TV Guide fall preview issue. Now that it's gone to a standard Hollywood gossip format, it's not worth reading any longer.

To be honest, I can't recall any for this upcoming season. The promos must be just awful. But then, I guess I don't watch much network television because they haven't been able to lure me in for many years.I haven't gotten excited about TV lately, either. One show I used to follow religiously got a case of teh srsly stoopidz during the third season and I stopped watching. Out of two new shows I tried last season, one was canceled after three episodes (watched the first one and gave up after the glaring inaccuracies made me scream at the TV too much) and the other, which I gave up on after three episodes, was canceled after it played out the season. One is kinda starting to lose its fizz, and one more I'm taking a cautious "wait 'n' see" attitude, having watched the nine episodes that have aired. Another just renewed for a third, so I'm happy about that, and another the fans are awaiting news on a fourth and the DVD release of the third.

mhjess
09-29-2012, 05:17 AM
I wanted to check out Elementary, but I forgot all about it. I read a TVLine interview with the creators and they insisted that they will not go there between Sherlock and Watson. I kind of appreciate that. It's nice to see a truly platonic relationship between male and female leads on a program.

I'm also super excited about Arrow.

As for returning programs, anxiously awaiting the return of The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and Nikita.

alleycat
09-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Don't blame us for Nashville.

mhjess
09-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Oh yeah! Nashville! I'll be checking that one out. Hayden and Connie together can't be bad!

Gilroy Cullen
09-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I took in the new show Last Resort. Good first episode, but I fear they won't be able to maintain the tension and drive of the show through a full season.

K. Taylor
09-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Elementary will be about the friendship. There were a couple scenes that were whispered, but most of it was fine.

Last Resort had an awesome premiere. Just finished watching it.

CrastersBabies
09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Nothing new yet. Every new show I've seen so far sucks. :)

Revolution
Honey Boo Boo
X Factor
American Idol

Arrow and Vampire Diaries need to friggin' START already.

No. None of them matter. I honestly don't give a crap about X factor. 10 minutes of panel-talking, backstories on one contestant (of 10,000 in line) and 1.5 minutes of singing.

Why don't they just add another hour to the show to give the panel more time to B.S.? Oh wait, they did that on Project Runway much to the chagrin of fans. FF time on the DVR!

X-Factor and American Idol, honestly? I'm over the "let's make fun of this 50 year old Asian woman singing Celine Dion" type crap. It's just not funny anymore.

Yes, I'm a Voice fan. All the way.

TroyJackson
09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
The two I have started new:

Revolution & Last Resort

Both weren't too shabby. But beware! I am notorious for starting to like a new show and then it gets shut down after one season! :)

I am very sad that Fringe has started it's last season. :( If you haven't watched that one, you definitely need to start with season 1 and go from there.

I also HIGHLY recommend Dexter, if you've never seen it. Season 7 premiere is tonight and I am GEEKED! If you haven't watched it, same thing - start with season 1 and work your way up from there. Fantastic show! NOT kid friendly, however! Age 18+ I think...

akaria
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I finally saw Last Resort. Loved it. It's the first time a pilot ep has really grabbed me in a loooong time. Then again I'll watch Andre Braugher read the phone book.

I had Revolution on in the background last night while net surfing. Nothing on that show provided a distraction for more than a few seconds. I saw some sword fighting that looked cool but otherwise it was snoresville. I suspect it will be this year's Terra Nova. A show that sounded good on paper but suffered from poor execution.

New to me but returning shows I'm watching are Scandal and Treme.

Old favorites? Person of Interest is back! Yay! Also Walking Dead will return in a few weeks. Hopefully with a more exciting season than last.

Lavern08
10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
.... Then again I'll watch Andre Braugher read the phone book.

I hear ya. ;)

Gravity
10-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Caught Last Resort; very good show, with a meaty premise. The guy who plays the sub captain is excellent (and Laverne, he played Jim Caviezel's precinct captain in the movie Frequency from a years back!)

Alpha Echo
10-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I thought The Mindy Project was hilarious.

I'm super excited for the second seasons of Revenge and Scandal. Love those.

That's about it, I think.

HopelessDreamer
10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm also super excited about Arrow.

As for returning programs, anxiously awaiting the return of The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and Nikita.

Is Arrow a Smallville spin-off? I don't exactly catch a lot of ads over here. If I want to watch something, I have to download it. :tongue

The Vampire Diaries NEEDS TO START already! Supernatural started this week, why not TVD? As far as Supernatural goes, I'm glad they're going back to angels and demons arcs. Also, I want Cas back permanently.

K. Taylor
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
No, Arrow is not related to Smallville. They're doing a new approach to the Green Arrow character.

Hopeless, there's a Supernatural thread in this section.

Last Resort ep 2 was another excellent hour. Such a good new show.